Here is Matlock Bath's North Parade, from the bottom of Holme Road
looking south. The photographer was standing beside the Midland
Hotel to take the picture.
The Promenade is behind the fencing on the left. On the far right
is Bryan's drapery and hosiery shop, run by William Bryan at this
time. William was the son of Benjamin Bryan who had owned the Rutland
Cavern until 1860. William's brother, also called Benjamin, wrote
the comprehensive "History of Matlock".
Wyvill's shop sign is clearly visible. This was a grocery run
by William Herbert Wyvill, whose father was running The Fish Pond
Hotel. The Wyvill family came to Matlock Bath between 1861 and
1864, when the surname first appears in a Matlock & District
Whilst it is very difficult to read the sign, the shop next door
could just be the Hallam's butcher's shop. Next to it is the Central
Restaurant, run for many years by Frederic Dalton. The church spire
belongs to the Derwent Terrace Methodist Church and beyond that the
black oval sign belongs to the George Vaults.