A postcard of the interior of the Albion Hotel Restaurant,
which was run by Albert Edward Graves and his wife Isabel
for many years.When
he died at the end of 1931 Albert Graves was described
as one of the leading caterers of the town and a generous
supporter of local charitable institutions. He had first
visited Matlock Bath in 1890 and was a member of a band that
played during the season in the old Pavilion and Gardens.
After the band left the district Mr Graves returned, married,
and commenced business as a caterer at the Sheffield House
Restaurant, later moving to the Albion.
At the end of the First World War, on 19th July 1919, Mr.
and Mrs. Graves catered for all the returned soldiers, sailors,
airmen and their respective wives of Matlock Bath and Scarthin
with a "Welcome Home Luncheon" at their restaurant.
Local residents had given and paid for this celebration to
honour those who came back.
Graves was described as a chemist in 1893 when he married
Isabel Evans at Holy Trinity Church.
Isabel was the daughter of Mark Evans and sister of John
and in 1901 John's daughter, Belle (later Mrs. Crowder),
was living with her aunt and uncle.
Belle went on to marry Harold Charles Crowder in 1919.
Albert and Isabel Graves, John Evans and his wife and Belle Crowder were all buried at Holy Trinity.
From the mid 1930s until the 1950s
Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Julia Smith ran the Albion.