In the late 1920s Albert Graves and his wife were still running
which is the first restaurant on the left of the picture.
Mrs. Eliza Hardstaff, the wife of Joseph (a builder) ran
the Parade View Restaurant next door in the inter war years.
When he was a young boy the late Frank Clay used to
write Mrs. Hardstaff's menus on a blackboard, and was rewarded
with a piece of salmon at the end of the season.
He said that Ernest Henry Bailey used to take boys there for
coffee after they had been swimming at the Fountain Baths and
the boys from Riber school also went there.
Outside the next block is a pillar box and the first
business in this block was Matlock Post Bath office. It was
originally more important than Matlock, but lack of space
and parking meant it was unable to expand: the sorting was
transferred to Matlock and the Matlock Bath office moved
further along the Parade. The
postman William James Knight ran a boarding house above the
Before the First War he had lived on Temple Walk with his large
family. He served in the Army during the War
and his son died of wounds in that war.
He was later awarded the Imperial Service Medal for his postal
work. When the
Post Office moved out the premises became a fish shop.
Next door was Miss Bagshawe's antique shop with
the chemist's of her brother in law, Mr. Frank Slawson, next
door. They had arrived in Matlock Bath some time between
1908 and 1911.
The trees on the Promenade that borders the road had
be pollarded, something that was done regularly until
they were removed when the road through Matlock Bath was