Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21stC Images> This page
Matlock Bath: Grand Pavilion and Spar Shop
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
Matlock Bath's Grand Pavilion, early 20th century
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name


19thC stereoview of the obelisk, with donkeys



Fish Pond Stables



Fish Pond and Pavilion



Royal Hotel and Church



An early twentieth century postcard shows the recently built Pavilion - built in 1910 and originally called the Kursaal - and the Heights of Abraham on Masson hillside. The large gritstone obelisk was mentioned by William Adam as early as 1840; he described it as "rude"[1]. The poster on it obelisk reads "Big Show" but what kind of show was advertised is not known.

The road to the left went to the Royal Hotel (originally the Old Bath and behind the wall centre left) and then on to Temple Walk and the Temple Hotel. The Temple is the building immediately above Boden's restaurant, which is the building with white lettering on the roof.

The small Spar shop advertised Derbyshire Tufa Stone, Rockeries, Aquaria &c across the front. The name sign is not readable and the sign on the top is only partially so (it says "Fine Art"). There is a small white dog with black ears tied up against the wall close to the spar shop, presumably the shop proprietor's.



Grand Pavilion
(Kursaal) 1910-12


Grand Pavilion
(The Kursaal) 1915


Grand Pavilion,
about 1920


Grand Pavilion 1920s


The Ballroom, before 1928


Grand Pavilion, 1930s


Pavilion, 1938
 

Industrial Exhibition 1946


Musical Festival 1961


"Matlock Bath and Heights of Abraham". One of the Celesque Series produced by the Photochrom Co. Ltd., London & Tunbridge Wells. C.44538. Unused, but another card was posted in 1912.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews who also researched the information. Intended for personal use only.

References (the coloured links are to onsite transcripts):

[1] Adam, W. (1840) "The Gem of the Peak" London; Longman & Co., Paternoster Row, p.30