This is a clear view of the southern end of North Parade, showing
some of the buildings on both sides of the road. On the riverbank
nearest the camera is the end of the promenade, with the
tufa water feature close to the end of the walkway. It is
opposite the Fountain Baths, the two storey building on the
right of the picture. On the ground floor of the baths are
two large arched doorways, one at each end of the building,
although one is hidden by the trees and the other (at the
right hand end) is only half shown. Next door is the shop
belonging to the Barnes family.
They originally lived over the shop but Miss Barnes (Frances)
eventually moved to Rockvale Villas and then to the Lower
final shop opposite the promenade was Victoria House, which
was a greengrocers on and off, run eventually by Nellie (nee
Statham) and her husband Jimmy Steeples.
Primrose Cottage is high up on the hillside above the Temple
Hotel. A man is standing on the balcony surveying the scene.
It was probably Mr. Robert Gregory, who had been the floor
manager at Masson Mill for many years. He and his wife Mary
Ellen had lived at Primrose Cottage for at least forty years
when this picture was taken.
The enlargement of the properties on the left bank of the
Derwent, above, shows the buildings from the Devonshire
Café northwards (i.e. towards the viewer). These
riverside buildings, with balconies over the water, were
reaching the end of their lives as they were all to be compulsorily
purchased and demolished seventeen later.
The very last people at the Devonshire Café were
and Mary Doris and Charles Parker and
the advertisement below dates
from their time there. The couple's grand daughter has fond
childhood memories of fishing for minnows over the balcony
at the back of the property with a jam jar/bread and very
long piece of string!
Sadly for the Parker family they were forced to leave their
home; they moved to Cromford.
One interesting feature is the X pattern decoration on
the bay windows of some of the houses. The design was first
used on the front
of the houses of Clarence Terrace.
Advertisement for the Devonshire Café, about 1950
The second enlargement shows Rose Cottage, then covered with
ivy. In 1895 one Henry Kay sold all his furniture "upon
Louis Pearson and his family then moved in for a time but
eventually it became the home of Mr. Richard Mosley, his wife
and two daughters.
It remained with this family for many years as one of their
daughters, Olive, took over the business.
On the left hand side of Rose Cottage were steps, known as the
Ginger Steps, that led to three cottages.
The first was lived in by Mrs. John Farnsworth for a time (approximately
1912-20). The second was known as Spring Cottage.
This had been the home of one of the Hardy family, but during
the first war the Boden family moved in.
They left Matlock Bath when Mr. Perry moved his glove factory