This photo on this scalloped edged card was taken from high up, looking
downwards into the valley formed by the River Derwent; this view
looks southwards towards Cromford. The silhouette of the Black Rocks
is on the skyline. Masson weir is downstream, just
past the bend. Cat Tor is on the left of this picture and the field
on the right, with the track at its base, is what used to be
known as the Cumberland field.
In the Derwent Gardens on the banks of the river you
can see the southern end of the Switchback Railway and the shed
where the cars were turned round so that passengers could begin
their return journey of their ride. Holy Trinity Church, the bottom
of Clifton Road and the New Bath Hotel are also in this picture.
Derwent Pleasure Gardens are pleasantly situated on
the banks of the River Derwent and are furnished with
and shelters in the form of grottoes and in the hot water
ponds are fish of various species'.
Boden & Hardy, Derwent Gardens amusement ground
||Although somewhat later than this postcard,
the quote and advert from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire (1941)
on the left is interesting. By then the switchback, which had
given pleasure to many thousands of visitors over the years,
had been taken down.
version of the same view was published by G. Marsden of Wirksworth.
It is in the "Just images" section of the site.