Here is the second of two photographs,
taken in the early twentieth century, showing the buildings
opposite Arkwright's red bricked Masson Mill (also see
the Mill is the main focus here. The limestone
crags of Cat Tor are behind the mill, on the opposite side
of the River Derwent.
This photograph is probably the slightly later of the two
as some of the shrubbery is fractionally bigger. The words
on the banner displayed outside Boston House differ slightly
from those on the previous image, too: Matlock Bath | Cyclists
| Rest | Beds. Cycling had become popular and cycle groups
used to visit Matlock Bath every weekend.
There are two things that help date the picture, both mentioned
by Benjamin Bryan in 1903. Bryan writes that, following the
transfer to the English Sewing Cotton Company in 1897,"a
factory chimney of red brick has since been erected, and
the high wall which screened the mill from the road pulled
This photograph shows the newly built chimney and the wall
The identity of the two boys is not known; they might be
locals or, equally, they could be trippers from Derby or Nottingham.