Tucked next to the station at Matlock Bath is the Station Master's
house and this photograph of the building was taken in 1952. The
corner of the station building is to the right of the house.
The second photograph (below) is of one of its former occupants,
Mr. William Rosling (1899 - 1969). Mr. Rosling was the station
master at Matlock Bath from 1947 until it was closed by Beeching.
He began his long railway career as a signalman and he was employed
in the industry for over 50 years. The picture shows him on the
platform with one of his grandchildren and it was taken in the
late 1950s. Mr. Rosling was well known in Matlock Bath for his
associations with the Illuminations and Venetian Nights Committee,
the Attractions Committee and other local organizations. He was
also a long standing member of the Temple Lodge (Matlock Bath)
of the Buffs.
The early Victorian station building behind William Rosling was
probably designed by Sir Joseph Paxton. The lovely herringbone
pattern of the bricks in the wall behind him is of architectural
note. This type of brickwork, between wooden framing, is known
The sign behind William,
on a BRITISH RAILWAYS notice board, reads:
This London Midland Station
is at your service
The Station Master is
Mr. W Rosling
For Travel and Freight
Telephone (This line is light and almost invisible)
(Matlock 54 was the phone number of Matlock Bath Station)
|Earlier station masters at Matlock Bath
Albert C. Belham
William Edward Parsons
It is difficult to tell whether the window behind William shows
the reflection of the the Starkholmes hillside or is simply the
view through the window on the other side of the building. However,
the pattern in the top frame is of the leaded windows (detail below).
There are two more photos of William Rosling:
the footbridge (will open in a new window)
the sign on the platform ( " )
Bath, Illuminations & Venetian Fête in the 1950's.
The webmistress's family contributed to the annual event.
Also see, elsewhere in the Matlock section of this web site, Bemroses'
Guide, which dates from about 1869:
engraving of High Tor Tunnel, showing the railway station
building (image at the bottom of the page)
Tickets on the Midland Railway
Fares on the Midland Railway
More information about the railway elsewhere on this website:
Cards of Derbyshire Scenes - more Midland Railway cards,
but not the same publisher
Railways of Derbyshire, 1903 - a map
Those with railway ancestors might like to see the following,
as some Midland Railway employees moved from Matlock to Matlock
Bath station and the names include Mr. Rosling:
Matlock & Matlock
Bath Lists: The Twentieth Century: Matlock Station Staff, 1911
- 1966, A - J
Matlock & Matlock
Bath Lists: The Twentieth Century: Matlock Station Staff, 1911 - 1966, K
View even more about the station by clicking on the images below: