The Georgian Temple
Hotel was originally an annexe to the Old Bath Hotel.
In 1840 William Adam mentioned that the poet Lord George Byron
stayed at the Old Bath as a very young man and
he was in Matlock Bath whilst unsuccessfully wooing Mary Chaworth,
etching his name on a windowpane at the Temple.
Ebenezer Rhodes wrote, in 1824, that "In addition to the inns
there are many comfortable lodging houses, the principal of which
is kept by a Mrs. Evans, and known by the name of the Temple. This
excellent house stands in a retired situation on the side of the
lower part of Masson, and is certainly one of the most delightful
residences in the place. It is connected with the Old Bath by a
spacious terrace carried along the side of the hill, which forms
a most delightful promenade".
The promenade that Rhodes was describing was Temple Walk.
Mrs. Hester or Esther Evans (nee Shore) is listed at the Temple
in early trade directories and
lived there with her son Walter Mather Shore Evans,
an Attorney. She was the widow of Aneas or Eneas Evans who had
died in 1813; the couple had married at Bakewell on 12 Nov 1792.
By 1842 the directories described the Temple as a family hotel and
the Evans family were involved with running the hotel for most
of the nineteenth century,
often listed as "Hester Evans & Co.".
Esther Evans died in 1849, aged 82 and
Walter died in 1876. His kinsman John inherited the hotel and
lived there until his death in 1889. Towards the end of the
century James Hand and then, a little later, John Barker were
This particular view of the Temple Hotel is of interest to the
web mistress because her father painted the sign at the gable end.
Hotel names were also painted on rooftops to make them more visible
from afar and the remnants of a rooftop sign at the Temple is still
visible in this picture.
1903 advertisement, Ward Lock Guide when John Weaving was the Proprietor
1930s advertisement, from the Official Matlock Guide when Astley & Tattersall
were the Proprietors
In the 1950s and 1960s Mr. and Mrs. Trippett ran the Temple. Whilst
this writer is unsure how long they kept it up, the couple very
generously hosted several annual Christmas parties for local school
children in the bar on the ground floor. The parties were considered
a great treat at the time.
The Temple, photographed in 2001.
Through the Centuries: Arrivals at Matlock Bath, 1820-1850.
European Royal families and nobility, British politicians, academics,
clergy, members of the British aristocracy and upper and middle
classes of society. Some of them would have stayed at the Temple.