of Matlock Bath Today (2)
|Matlock Bath : Twenty First Century
Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
1. View from the Heights of Abraham, September 2008.
2. Temple Walk and Orchard Road from Upperwood Road.
3. Close up of the bottom of Orchard Road.
The building in the centre of the picture, behind the lamp post,
used to be The Prince of Wales.
In earlier times the name was on the roof, so it was visible from
Matlock Bath station! Probably the first licensee was Henry Gordonbut
the Inn was one of many public houses to be closed during the First
World War. The property
is now divided into two homes. It may seem an odd place for an hotel
these days but it would have provided a welcome resting place for
visitors to the Heights of Abraham in days gone by as they toiled
up the steep hill. The Pitchings continues across Temple Walk /
Temple Road and up the hillside past the Prince of Wales.
4. A second photograph of the Prince of Wales.
5. This is another view of Temple Walk, again from the Temple Hotel,
but this time looking towards the Heights of Abraham. It shows some
of the beautiful houses that were built in Matlock Bath. For example,
on the extreme left about half way up the photo is Guilderoy and
Masson Cottage and the castellated building on the same level but
further to the right is the Lower Tower. Vehicles have restricted
access to parts of Matlock Bath these days, as the sign on the
road indicates. The sign is roughly where The Pitchings crosses
the road and continues up the hillside. The section down from Temple
Walk is very steep.
Images supplied by and copyright © Andy Andrews and Ken Smith.
The Ken Smith images scanned for this website by and © Ann Andrews.
Information written, researched, provided by and © Ann Andrews
Intended for personal use only.
links go to transcripts or information elsewhere on this web-site):
 There are plenty of references to the
Prince of Wales in the onsite trade directories and census returns
 Mr. Gordon, of the Prince of Wales beer-house,
Matlock Bath, first applied for a license in 1862, but it was not
granted ("The Derby Mercury", Wednesday, September
3, 1862). Henry Gordon was successful in 1866 ("The Derby
Mercury", Wednesday, August 29, 1866). Holmes' Handbook
of 1866 describes the Prince of Wales during Mr. Gordon's time there
- see transcript. There is
a notice of Mr. Gordon's departure on Matlock & Matlock
Bath Public Notices & Announcements, 1871
 This was at the end of 1917 and compensation
was then paid to the owners. Beresford, Charles "The Bath at War, A Derbyshire
Community and the Great War" (2007). Country Books/Ashridge
Press. ISBN 978 1 901214 91 8, p.286.
 There are quite a few images of the
bottom of the Pitchings, next to Hodgkinson's Hotel. See, for example, South
Parade & the Pitchings, a drawing and Photograph
of Museum Parade & The Pitchings, 1909