This is one of
only two pictures of Upperwood, high on the hill above
Matlock Bath and about 700 feet above sea level. Riber Castle
stands out on the far hillside and Starkholmes is below it.
The card's title is slightly misleading as most of Matlock
Bath is out of site!
The house centre left, only partly seen, has washing
in the garden (like two eyes in a mask!) is Valley View where,
in 1908, Charles Gregory let out apartments.
The web mistress is uncertain what the property next door is
called. Below these two houses is a road junction and just
below the junction, on the left, is the entrance to the Speedwell
Cavern. In the mid nineteenth century Benjamin Froggatt, who
also lived in Upper Wood, was the cavern guide.
The cavern is opposite a small cottage called Angelina's Cottage.
On the right is a further group of houses, the largest
of which is Upperwood Farm and this photograph shows the building
with an extension on the left hand end (the farmhouse had not
been extended on the
nineteenth century picture elsewhere on the site). Daniel Massey was the farmer here at the end of
the nineteenth century and he was followed by James Steeples.
Another house is mostly hidden from view by the farm - this
is Cumberland House, or Cumberland Lodge as it was in 1901.
In the area between Cumberland House and the other unnamed
building is where the Zoo Tea Gardens were.