In front of Carding's premises was a man push a barrow loaded
with baskets, presumably making home deliveries. The two groups
of people could be day trippers. They were well dressed, possibly
in their Sunday best, and the ladies were wearing mostly wide
Then there are a couple of small shops with a balconied flat
roof above, the first of which seems to be piled high. The
window was full and boxes can be seen stacked up through the
open doorway. It was a confectionery and in 1901 Mr. Harness,
a postman, lived there with his family.
James Richards, another postman, moved in a few years later.
In 1910 the two storey building, on the site former toll house,
was divided into two shops, one of which was rented by the
house decorator John C Keith as lock-up sales premises which
is probably why it looks empty. The confectionery was rented
by Charles Richard Buckley whose occupation in 1911 was Chauffeur.
By 10 February 1914 the Buckley family had gone and the confectionery
was occupied by Alethea Chamberlain;
when the building was inspected on that date
it was noted that 'The roof of the shop is used as an
open-air refreshment room'. This was where, later on, visitors
to the Dale would buy a tray of tea. The owner in 1914 was
Herbert Briddon and, when the Briddons owned most of them,
these properties on the corner seem to have changed their
occupants fairly frequently.
The Colour Works foreman, John Teasdale, also lived in the
row in 1911 and Joseph Redfern lived a little further along
the road at Dale Cottage.
Though it is hard to see, between the second small shop and
the garage was a weighing machine. It was still there in
Behind the second row of cottages is the stone boundary wall
of St. John's Road which runs along the bottom of Shining
Cliff. The Rocks, known as Rockville Cottage when it was first
built by Colonel Edward Payne, is the large dwelling on the
A sale notice in 1840 described the property as commanding "the
most picturesue scenery in Matlock Dale".
The only traffic on the road is a motorbike and sidecar.
Early motorcycles resembled bicycles, and this model has large
bicycle-like wheels. A lady is a passenger in the vehicle,
protected by a screen. The motorcyclist himself seems to have
little to protect him, not even a pair of goggles.
Can you identify these two young men? Is one P.C. Birch?
The badge on the arm of the man on the right does not appear
to be an AA badge