Dale: Looking towards Matlock from High Tor, 1920s
|Matlock Dale: Twentieth Century Photographs,
Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
The long building above the main road and
bottom left is Primrose Cottage, one of the cottages built
by the nineteenth century surgeon William Chinnery, who built
several properties in the Dale including Dale Cottage.
The boundary between Matlock Bath and Matlock is just a bit
further along, before the second kink in the road, and before
the road straightens to run almost parallel with the river
and goes past the two large quarries. The Harvey Dale Quarry
and the Holt Quarry were almost one quarry by the 1920s.
On the right of the picture is the railway line. The line
has just emerged from the High Tor Tunnel and crosses the
Derwent at the Boat House bridge.
Just beyond the bottom of St. John's Road is a three storey
property that is partly built into the hillside (see enlarged
detail on the right). This was where Mrs. Betty Brinsley
ran a carrier's business until the 1850s and on the ground
floor were the two huge wooden doors of her coach house.
Adjoining the building is a wall with a road above it and
in this wall were some more arched doorways. They are blocked
up today but the pavement used to slope down towards them.
The road level used to be higher that the pavement at several
points along the Dale and further along it still is. The
pavement here was raised some years ago and it is now difficult
to tell what it must have originally looked like. However,
behind one of the sets of doors was the stable of Dolly,
the horse kept by Postman Joseph Jesse Rosling around 1900.
Mr. Rosling had been appointed postman at Matlock Bath on
20 December 1895 and
he drove the horse mail,
so used Dolly on his rounds. He had spent some time in
India with the army before settling in Matlock.
Mr. Rosling retired from the Post Office in 1932 after 37
years of service,
having been awarded the Imperial Service Medal in 1930.
The web mistress believes another archway may have been used as a
bakers, but this can't be corroborated at present.
Below is another view of this section of the Dale, taken from
Pic Tor and looking towards High Tor and the Heights
of Abraham; it is a black and white Valentine's image that was
reproduced in the Ward Lock Guide of 1932.
In the bottom right corner is Greatorex's "coffee pot" (see Matlock,
The Quarries). Again, we need to look closely at the image to
see the series of arched doors.
|The second enlargement (on the
right) provides us with a slightly better view and we can see
just how tall all the doorways were, as we can see both
the arches in the wall and the very large double doors in the
former Brinsley house.
Three relatively recent photographs, taken in 2004, are below.
In the first picture you can see what remained of these
huge coach house doors in 2004, painted green and shorter in height
than they had been in the 1920s. Additionally, the wall with
the archways was no longer as high as it was in the 1920s photos.
The height difference between the 1920s and today is especially
noticeable in this first photograph but in all three modern photos,
with the pavement level considerably higher than it had been
in the 1920s, the arches don't seem very high and certainly not
high enough to have housed either a stable or a bakers. A good
proportion of what used to be there is now below ground level.
There were at least three arches in the wall in the 1920s.
The green doors have now been replaced.
The wall adjoining the old Brinsley house.
Compare this photograph with the black and white image above.
You can just about pick out the line of stones of the first arch,
which has been filled in with dressed stone.
One of the former arches is easier to see than the others.
In comparison with the wall's original carefully selected and dressed
stones, the modern infill is rather haphazard, although it does
1. Postcard "Matlock from High Tor. Peak District". "Donlion
Series", No.2.5.32. Donlion Productions, Doncaster. Not posted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by, and © Ann
Detail from same postcard.
2. Valentine's & Sons photograph, Matlock Dale,
In the collection of, provided by, and © Ann Andrews.
enlarged detail from same postcard.
3 and 4. Photographs © unnamed contributor.
Researched by and © Ann
Andrews. Intended for personal use only
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this
 References to Mr. Chin[n]ery include the
1841 census |
the 1851 census | the1861
census | Pigot's
Directory, 1827-9 | Kelly's Directory,
1848 | White's Directory,
1862 | Contributions
to the Patriotic Fund, 1854 | Matlock
Names in the London Gazette, 1877
 Postman Rosling and his family are shown
living on Holt Lane in the
1901 census. The name of the horse has been provided by one of
 See Mr. Rosling in Matlock
Names in The London Gazette, 1891 - 1895.
 "Derby Daily
Telegraph", 15 January 1948. Obituary notice for J. J. Rosling
who had died the previous day. Joseph Jesse Rosling (1869-1948) and
his wife Annie Rosling nee Haselby are both buried at St. Giles. See MI
Surname Index, R
 Joseph Rosling had joined the Lincolnshire
Regiment - 10th Foot (No.1510) on 16 Aug 1887 following medicals. His
army record can be found on FindMyPast.
 "The London Gazette",
18 Feb 1930. His Majesty The KING has been pleased to award the Imperial
Service Medal to the following officers:- HOME CIVIL SERVICE. Rosling,
Joseph Jesse, Postman, Matlock.
 Ward Lock & Co's "Matlock,
Dovedale, Bakewell and South Derbyshire", Illustrated Guide
Books of England and Wales (1932-3). Photographs in these guides
were not necessarily taken in the year the guide was published and
may have been taken a good few years before.