Bath: High Tor, the Rock Face (2)
|Matlock Dale: Twentieth Century Photographs,
Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
Sneath's photograph of "The Giddy Edge" shows a
close up of the footpath cut into the rock below the lion
face on High Tor, with a handrail fixed to the bend and a
seat where tourists could rest and enjoy the view. It is
difficult to know how many years the footpath had been in
use at the time this picture was taken, but the 1861 advertisement
below suggests that the footpath was probably in place around
the time Thomas Carding created his carriage road.
Several local guides published between 1861 and 1869 refer
to the paths and the carriage road.
MR. THOMAS CARDING, Proprietor
of the Mines on the High Tor, begs announce to the
Visitors of Matlock and the Public in general, that
he has made a carriage-road, as well as walks and rides,
to the top of the far famed High Tor, so that all parties,
however delicate or timid, may now visit
the wonders and sweet scenery round and about the Tor,
and obtain views of the surrounding countryside which
such an elevation commands, with little of no fatigue
and with perfect safety. Charge to the walks and rides
"The Giddy Edge, High Tor, Matlock". No. 3291, published
by R. Sneath, Paradise St., Sheffield Copyright - Real Photograph.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Written and researched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on
this web site):
 " Derbyshire Courier",
11 May 1861 and other dates that year.
 The Guides that mention the paths
are Holmes "Hand
Book" of 1866, Croston's "On
Foot Through the Peak" in 1868 (see below the
image of High Tor) and Bemroses' "Guide
to Matlock" of 1869. The paths are not mentioned
in earlier trade directories.