Three views of High Tor and the houses in the valley below, the
earliest of which dates from 1892 (plus an enlargement of
a section of one of them).
The top photograph was taken by Calitta M. Tinti (née
Whittaker) of Matlock Bath. Just visible on the top of High
Tor is the wooden Refreshment Room that was burned down around
1997 or 1998.
In the valley below is the house where Calitta's son, Remo,
lived and operated his coal business from for many years
(one of the houses bottom, right). He provided coal for most
of Matlock Bath.
Further along the road is a building next
to the pavement; it has two pairs of semi detached gabled
houses next to it, set back slightly to the left. In the
1960s these houses hit the headlines when the owners had
a luck escape after part of the hillside collapsed behind
the properties about breakfast time, demolishing one of the
buildings. The remaining pair of houses also had to be demolished.
to look hard at the photo above but you can just about
see the bridge across the river that leads to the colour
works, which is roughly opposite.
Switzerland View from High Tor, Matlock
The second image pre-dates Mrs. Tinti's picture by some years
and was probably taken before 1900 and maybe as early as
1892. The Edwardian houses mentioned above had yet to
be built. However, the colour works bridge and even the
rooftops of the colour works buildings can be seen, although
they are not easy to spot.
Untitled [Switzerland View from High Tor,
Matlock Dale], 1892.
The final full sized picture is one of a series of images
of Matlock Bath and Matlock Dale scenes, published in snapshot
format rather than as a post card. The photograph provides
a good view of the houses opposite High Tor, so you can
see Riversdale and Glena Cottage, for example, with Heath
Bank and Craven Villa below. It is also the clearest
view of the colour works and its bridge.
When it was advertised for sale in 1876 and 1882 Riversdale
was described as a "Bijou Residence" but as it
had "dining and drawing rooms, a library, a large entrance
hall, staircases and landings, and seven bed rooms, bath
room, and w.c. together with useful domestic offices, plus
stabling for three horses" so it was hardly small but it
was definitely an elegant building.
The seven houses higher up the hillside behind Riversdale
were, from the left, Grove Mount and then Riversdale Cottages.
In 1877 they were occupied by Messrs Ward, Cotes, Wilks,
Short and Cooper, one property was used as a laundry
to Riversdale and the other was untenanted. In 1882 "Grove
Mount" with gardens was in the occupation of Rev. Cotter
and the cottages were the homes of Messrs Hadfield, Hope,
Robinson and Miss Whitehead.