"More gracious [than the castle] is the Elizabethan hall, with the charm of the gabled roof
and mullioned windows, with a stone gateway in the balustraded wall,
its round steps jutting on the wayside."
Arthur Mee, 1937.
William Woolley, who wrote a "History of Derbyshire" in
1712, mentioned two properties at Riber. The first was the
Wolley family's ancient home (Riber Hall) and the second he described
good house of the Jaques, of a pretty good family in this county".
Woolley meant the Jaques lived at Riber Old Hall (now Riber Manor
House), as for several centuries it was the only other substantial
property in the hamlet.
The buildings have several similar architectural features, although
parts of Riber Hall are older. The 1619 inventory of Adam Wolley's
estate indicates that the house had at least ten rooms, two of which
Riber Hall passed out of the ownership of the Wolley family following
Anthony Wolley's death in 1669.
It was first purchased by Thomas Statham, but in 1681 it was bought
by the local rector Reverend John Chappell, though he did not live
there long as he was buried at Matlock on 24 December 1688.
The Chappells continued to live at Riber for a few more years,
but following the deaths of the widowed Mary Chappell in 1720 and
her son John in 1724,
the two Chappell daughters divided the estate. This is when the
house was split into two halves, or moieties, and sold.
Nineteenth and early twentieth century occupants of the left hand
side of Riber Hall included Joseph Greatorex,
John Smedley, James
Taylor and Roger
Handley; the Walls,
including Jane and John Wall were
on the right. The Outrams also appear to have lived there.
Shortly after the death of George Allen on 10 September 1866 his
farming and other stock was sold and Riber Hall advertised as being
To Let by John Else, the Matlock auctioneer. "TO LET, with
immediate possession, the ... very desirable RESIDENCE, with 63
Acres of excellent LAND. The house contains dining, drawing, and
sitting rooms, five bedrooms, two kitchens, larder, wash house,
dairy and good cellerage. The outbuildings included stabling for
four horses, carriage-house, cow-houses for twelve cows, bar, corn
and hay chambers, cart sheds, piggeries, poultry house, tool-house,
and store rooms; with a large, productive kitchen garden, and orchard
well stocked with fruit trees ; extensive pleasure grounds. The
site is a most healthy one, and commands some of the most picturesque
scenery in the neighbourhood".
The last of the Jaques, or Jacques, of Riber was buried at St.
Giles' in 1840. Whilst the parish register says William Jaques
lived at Riber it does not provide his actual abode,
nevertheless later evidence indicates his nephew John Cotterill
continued to live at the Old Hall for many years.
Their residence, now Riber Manor, was further down the hamlet.
Benjamin Bryan, writing at the beginning of the twentieth century,
rather confused the two buildings; he presumably though the
1633 date stone on the Old Hall referred to the Wolley family.
It is an easy mistake as the letters G. W. M. W. are carved on
the stone. However, the W stands for Walker who lived there before
Riber Hall is a Grade II listed building today.
Henry Hadfield Cubley's painting
of Riber Hall perhaps has a red sky at night for good luck or
possibly just because it was attractive. It shows the lovely early
seventeenth century hall and the semi circular steps jutting onto
the roadway, described by Arthur Mee (above), that are a feature
of the building. The gables have the same ball-head finials as
those that top the gate piers.
Other Cubley paintings
More on site information about the WOLLEY
family of Riber Hall:
Manuscripts Derbyshire A major collection of pre 1828 documents.
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock - more detailed, with documents
relating to the WOLLEYs.
Matches & Dispatches Find the WOLLEY family in Matlock's
1858 Wills & Administrations, Surnames W - Z (scroll
of Arms: Description of WOLLEY arms.
hyperlinks for onsite transcripts):
 Mee, Arthur (ed.) (1937) "Derbyshire:
The Peak Country", The King's England Series, Hodder and
Stoughton Limited, London.
 Glover, Catherine and Riden, Philip
(edited by) (1981) "William Woolley's History of Derbyshire" Derbyshire
Record Society Volume VI. William Wolley died in 1719. See
of Wolley of Darley Abbey which shows where he fits into the
 There are more details of Adam Wolley's
Will on Pre
1858 Wills & Administrations, Surnames S - Z (scroll down).
His inventory listed each room's contents, the number of animals
(including four yolke of oxen and 68 sheepe) and even what was
stored in his barns).
 Go to Antony
Wolley's burial and details from his Will. Pre
1858 Wills & Administrations, Surnames S - Z.
 John Chappel[l] was buried at Matlock
- see his burial and Rectors. Mary
Chappel was buried 30 July 1720 and their son John 28 Jan 1724.
 See pre-1858
Wills for Chappell.
 Also see pre-1858
Wills for Greatorex
 "The Derby Mercury",
8 October 1823 mentioned "a capital dark brown Mare belonging
to Mr. Job Cooper, of Riber Hall". The same paper (18 February
1824) names him again as still at Riber.
 George Allen was shown as living at
Riber Hall in both the 1851
census and the 1861
census. He also advertised in most of the trade directories whilst
living at Riber, beginning with Bagshaw's
Directory 1846 | Kelly's
Directory 1848 | Whites
Directory 1852 | Kelly's Directory
1855 | Whites
| Whites Directory 1862 |
Kelly's Directory 1864.
 See the Riber
Times", 7 January 1885.
Else and son announce instructions from James Taylor of Riber Hall
"whose lease expires on Lady Day next", to sell furniture etc and
 "Derbyshire Times",
18 October 1890.
Joseph Hodgkinson instructed by Roger Handley, giving up farm, to
sell household furniture, livestock etc.
 The Walls were listed at the address
in 1901 census and Jane
and John Wall's gravestone in St. Giles' churchyard is the only
stone to give the address as Riber Hall. Their daughter, Sarah,
was listed as living at Riber Hall in Kelly's
1908 Directory | Kelly's
Directory 1912 | Kelly's
Directory 1916 |
 The Outrams were living at Riber in
the 1881 census | 1891
census | 1901 census but
it wasn't until the 1911 census that Annie Outram, by then a widow,
was living at the Hall. However, the Outrams were given as living
at Riber Hall Farm in Kelly's
1908 Directory | Kelly's
Directory 1912 | Kelly's
 "The Derby Mercury",
7 October 1866 (John Else notice about letting the property. Same
paper, 10 October 1866, and other issues: Preliminary Announcements
about selling the farming stock.
 William Jacques was
buried in 1840. See Burials at
St. Giles for other family members. Also pre-1858
Wills for Jaques and for Cotterill.
It wasn't until the twentieth century that a Jaques returned to Riber.
 Cotterills can be found in the
1841 census | the 1851 census |
the 1861 census | the
1871 census | the 1881 census. Also see pre-1858
Wills for Cotterill and Strays,
 Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History
of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose & Sons,