The photograph for this postcard was taken from one of the footpaths
on the southern side of High Tor. On the hillside below Riber
Castle are a cluster of properties around the sharp bend at Wards
End near the bottom of Riber Road, more easily seen in the second
image, below. The first time Wards End was mentioned as an address
in UK census returns was in 1871 when 14 homes were listed, with
17 in 1891 and 18 in 1901.
From newspapers published between 1935 and 1949, which is approximately
the time this picture was taken, we learn the names of a few of
the then residents. Wards End had been the home of the Maskerys
for some years. Another resident was
Frank Barks who was fined for driving his motor cycling without
a light in 1935. This was
the same year that a young farm labourer had an unfortunate accident
whilst riding his bicycle down Riber Road in icy conditions.
Messrs. Repton, Hodgkinson and Allsop were occupying three cottages
known "Falcon Cliff" in 1940 and George
Blackham and his family were at Wards in 1944.
It had also been the home of Mr. R. Eglinton, a member of Derby
and County Athletic and Cycling Club since its inauguration, and
who had held the office of club president for the last four
years of his life. He had been a runner until he reached the aged
of 70 and he died, aged 74, in 1945.
Detail, showing Wards End, Starkholmes Road and Riber Road