|Matlock & Matlock
Bath : What's New, 2012
|Find out about the latest information that's been added to the Matlock and Matlock Bath website
This year (2017)
2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 |
2012 | 2011
Earlier years are no longer available
to What's New Index
Elsewhere on this web site:
The Andrews Pages What's New
Bath: Southern end of the village, from the river, early 20th
century. The riverbank below the Masson Mill weir but upriver
2. The Popular Album of
Matlock. Published by the Sheffield Telegraph sometime
between 1891 and 1898
3. Matlock: Rockside
Hydro, Interior. The lounge and ingle
nook fireplace. With thanks to Ray Ash
Bath: Upper Tower, Heights of Abraham A second Edwardian
postcard, showing the Tea Rooms. With grateful thanks to Ray
Bath: The Grand Pavilion, 1920s.
Two of the three cards include the Fish Pond Hotel. With thanks
to Ken Smith for providing two of the images.
Bath: The 1881 Water Fountain. The fountain has
been restored several times. Read about the link to the Scouting
Movement. Thanks to Ken for the photographs
Bath: The Royal Hotel - the Royal or Radium Well.
The first spring discovered in Matlock Bath in 1696 was found
in the grounds of the Royal Hotel. Another Ken image.
Bath: Great Scout Parade, Royal Hotel, 18th March 1917. Local troops were inspected by Baden Powell during
the first Scout Conference
5. Matlock: St. Giles
Parish Church, Lych Gate.
Photographs on the two following pages have been sent by
Bernard Gale. Thank you:
Ladies Choir (Choral Group), July 1959. Photographed
on the steps of Matlock's Methodist and United Reformed Church
on Bank Road
Training College staff and students 1955. On
the lawn of Rockside Hall of Residence
Bath: Pantomime in the Parochial Hall, 1951 A large number
of children took part, including the web mistress
1. Matlock & District Amateur
Operatic Society. Now
includes a list of productions 1907-1968, with some covers
2. Canon Kewley and His Sisters.
The page has been update and more information added
3. Pedigree of Nightingale.
The webmistress has compiled a second, short, pedigree linking
it to the original "Bryan" pedigree
4. Matlock Bath:The
Royal Hotel. Another image added
Bath: The Royal Hotel and garden. Now includes
a photo of the grounds and a second postcard (from Ken Smith)
Scout & Cubs Rally, Sunday, 7 September 1946 (1). New key added for the names
Bath: Derwent Gardens - The Switchback, (1) Rise and Fall.
Another image added, dating from around 1900.
Bath: North Parade (Derwent Parade), 1950s. A second,
slightly later post card added (from Ken Smith).
Bath's Glove Factory The photograph of the workers has
been enlarged and some new information added
10. Books & Other Publications. Another
book, about those who died in WW2, to be launched in November
1. Matlock Dale
from Long Tor. This page replaces The Dale, Matlock Bath,
Dale: High Tor & Artists' Corner (4). Postcard
from the 1890s of Tor Cottage and other buildings at Artists'
Corner. Image from Pat Insall, with many thanks. (Note: although
this is in image dates from the 1890s it is currently in the
Matlock Dale section as it is part of a sequence)
Bath: North Parade & Ferry from Bridge, 1892.
Also from Pat Insall
1. Matlock: Willersley Castle An
early twentieth century image of the castle added to the
2. Matlock Bath: Rider Point,
Via Gellia A second, slightly earlier, image has been
added and the page has been re-written, now providing information
about the family who lived in the cottage.
3. St. Giles' Church,
Matlock, about 1904 has also been re-written and now contains
information about the extension a few years before.
1. Matlock: Bank Road
(4). Views looking down Bank Road, taken
from one of the upper rooms in Central Buildings on Smedley
Street, where the photographer Charles Colledge lived.
2. Matlock: Bank
Road (5). Two more pictures of Matlock,
looking down the hill from the top of Bank Road and towards
High Tor and Masson, taken by the Smedley Street photographer
Images on both pages with thanks to Ken Smith.
Bath: Visitors to the Royal Hotel, August 1909.
Matlock Bath's premier hotel attracted wealthy guests in
the Edwardian era. With thanks to Lynda Grange.
Bath : Bath Terrace Hotel, 1891-3. The oldest
photograph of the former hotel
Bath : Bath Terrace Hotel, Tariff of Charges, 1891-3.
Beautifully illustrated booklet dating from Robert Watson's
time as the proprietor.
Images on both pages with thanks to Lorraine Ball.
1. Matlock: Bank Road & the Steep-Gradient
Tramway. The page about Matlock's Cable Tramway has
been largely re-written, with the addition of several more
images. I am indebted to both Ken Smith and the Alfred
Seaman Archive for the use of their images on the page.
The page title has also been changed from "Bank Road
and the Tram".
Modern School: Monthly Letter, March, 1935. Colin Goodwyn
has kindly sent a photograph of a blazer badge.
3. Strays - ALLSOP |
BODEN | DOXEY | ROBINSON | SEEDHOUSE | TABERER
of Matlock Bath and Holme Road, 1870s. The earliest
development on either side of the relatively newly built
Holme Road, on the hillside below the Heights of Abraham. Thank
you to George Pek for providing the image.
2. Matlock: Ernest
Bailey's Grammar School, April 1950. Pupils and Staff.
A panoramic photograph that has been split into eight sections.
Thank you to Pauline Jordan.
1. Photographers. More
about Charles Colledge, who published postcards of his photographs.
With thanks to Ken Smith for the additional image and who
checked his collection once again
2. Ernest Bailey's
Production of "Lady Precious Stream", 1950. Thanks
to Michael Jolley for providing more names
Ernest Bailey's Speech Day, 1951 Additional names from
Phil Wigfull. Thank you.
1. Percy Rowbottom,
artist and photographer (of Matlock Bath), with thanks to Ken
Smith for the photo
2. John Allen Potter and family.
A coachbuilder from Darley Bridge, J.A.P. lived for a time
in Matlock before emigrating. A collection of family photographs,
taken by several local photographers. This is a new page,
but some of the material has been moved from another page (i.e.
from the Photographers page).
It has been considerably expanded.
3. Holy Trinity
Church, Matlock Bath, 1940s, again with thanks
to Ken for the image
The next four pages have images from Pauline Jordan. Thank
4. Ernest Bailey's
Production of "Lady Precious Stream", 1950.
5. Matlock: Ernest
Bailey's Speech Day, 1951,
with extracts from the 1954 programme.
6. Matlock: Ernest
Bailey's Cricket Team, 1953
7. Matlock: Ernest Bailey's
Fifth Form, 1953. Two photographs. One
is of the girls only and the other is of both boys and girls.
The following two pages feature images provided by George Pek. Thank
8. Matlock Bath:
Stereoview of Lovers' Walk, 1859-62
Photo of Matlock Bath Station, 1860. A hold-to-light
tissue stereographic photo, with an element of surprise.
1. Photographers. An
illustrated account of the photographers who lived in or had
studios in Matlock and Matlock Bath from the earliest times
until just after the Second World War. A major update, with
samples of their work and biographical notes. Special thanks
to Ken Smith, who went through his collection to check for
missing names, and Rosemary Lockie.
Smedley's Hydro Drawing Room, 1906 Now includes
another view of the drawing room, taken a few years earlier,
from a carte de visite by the photographer Frederick Barber
Parade and The Pitchings, Matlock Bath, 1909. Advert
added for Smith's hairdressers & tobacconists
of Matlock Bath Station, Nineteenth Century. An
incident from 1877 has been added
5. Matlock Bath's arms.
Photograph of china war memorial added. With thanks to Bernard
6. The War Memorials: Commemorative
China Souvenirs. Slight redesign and two new images from
7. Strays - One or more
additions for the following surnames: BURTON | DAVIES | SHEPHERD
| WALKER | WALTERS | WHALLEY | WHARTON | WHITE | WILDGOOSE
| WILKINSON | WOLSTENHOLME | WOOD | WOODIWISS | WOOLLERTON
1. Matlock: Smedley's
Hydro, early 1900s. Rewritten June 2016.
Hydro & Grounds, Matlock, 1926, with excerpts
- from "Truth" (a supplement published for the hydro)
and a list of baths available
Hydro Grounds, Matlock, 1926 - from Truth. The
Hydro had eight acres of park-like grounds in 1926
Modern School: Monthly Letter, March, 1935. Newsletter
for the parents, pupils and staff of a progressive school in
the inter war years. With grateful thanks to Robin Yates
New page, but material moved from another page (i.e. from Images:
Hydropathic Establishment Matlock, Brochure, about 1925 (this
page is new, but the brochure has been elsewhere on the site
Smedley's Hydro brochure was designed for the hydro's many
visitors in the inter war period. The thirty two pages of images
and text provided information on the tariffs, baths and treatments
at Matlock's premier hydro, etc.
of Matlock Bath", 4th edition (this
page is new, but the booklet has been elsewhere on the site
Published by Boots Cash Chemists, date uncertain but possibly
about 1908-1910. It contains pictures of Matlock Bath and
the surrounding area.
AutoChrome Album of Matlock & District" (his
page is new, but the album has been elsewhere on the site
since 2002). Published in the first decade of the twentieth
century. Twelve views, including Crown Square before the tram
shelter, and two pages of adverts. Four additional images from
a later edition
- Water Cures
|Pages where the file name has been renamed:
1. Smedley's Hydro,
Matlock, 1906-7 (was matlock_smedley.htm)
2. Smedley's Hydro,
Hydro Drawing Room, 1906 (was matlock_smedley_drawingrm1906.htm)
Hydro, Matlock - The Terrace, 1927 (was
With apologies, but necessitated by a need to reorganise.
and Mary Hodgkinson of Holt Lane, Matlock. Lindsey
Hodgkinson was a Grocer and the Postmaster for Matlock Bridge
in Queen Victoria's reign. Holt House was the family home. With
very grateful tanks to Jane Leslie
2. In Via Gellia, Matlock
Bath, 1903. Beautiful Stengel card
- Matlock: Bank Road & the Steep-Gradient
Two more postcards and a general update to the page
- Tufa Cottage,
Via Gellia, near Matlock Bath, 1905 has been
- Pre 1858 Wills COCKAYNE/COCKAIN
- Strays AUSTIN | BEESON | BRIDDON | MARSON
- Matlock Dale has moved from the page about Matlock to Matlock
- Matlock Some new images
and some replaced, plus addition material
- Miscellany Some new images and layout changes
- Pedigrees. Some have been
re scanned and others have more notes, including Nightingale, Wolley
of Darley Abbey
Organ Recitals given by Harry Douglas, 1906-36. Three small
photos from the family album now included. With thanks to Jane
Derwent & the Devonshire Hotel, Matlock Bath, 1892. Advert from 1950 added.
The file name has changed but all links are updated.
at the Beginning of the Twentieth Century. Images enlarged and a new advertisement for Hall and
- Matlock: Pic
Tor and Riber Castle with the War Memorial, 1935. Original
image re-scanned and a second picture added (image name changed
when website moved)
- Pedigree of Leacroft, with additional notes
1. Building the Railway
Line to Matlock Station
2. Matlock Railway Station buildings,
2004 and before. This includes a series
of photographs of the early days of Peak Rail.
3. Matlock Bank, the Hall Leys and
Dale Road, 1912-20. Two views, taken from slightly different places. From
Ray Ash's collection, with many thanks
Pic Tor and Riber Castle, 1928. Read about a brass band
5. Matlock: St. Giles'
Church and Green, 1914. The tree outside the churchyard
is just a stump.
6. Matlock: Willersley Castle,
1927. The main entrance. The photograph is from
the catalogue of the sale.
Willersley Castle Contents Sale, 1927 - Notice
8. Matlock: Willersley Castle
Contents Sale, 1927 - Bedroom 15
9. Starkholmes Village Maypole
Day, 1950s. With thanks to Margaret Tinkler and Jean Baloo
Bath: Fish Pond Stables, Providence Mine & the Mud Heap. A tale of a
major squabble before the Kursaal was built. With very grateful thanks to Doreen
Buxton for her photograph.
11. Matlock Bath: North
Parade, about 1913, a card published by Stengel & Co.
12. Matlock Bath: North Parade
(Derwent Parade), 1950s. Taken either at the end of the second war, or shortly
afterwards. With thanks to Pauline Jordan.
13. Matlock Bath: Royal Hotel and
the Church. Lovely b&w card from the Ray Ash
Bath: Floral Fête the Promenade, 1908. Also from
15. Matlock Bath:The Heights of
Abraham, about 1948. Another from Ray's collection.
16. Matlock Bath: from the Temple
17. Matlock Bath: Arkwrights of
Masson Mill, Advertisement, 1946. Aimed at school
18. Matlock Bath: The Grand Pavilion
(Kursaal), 1910-12. Three postcards of the
earliest years of the Grand Pavilion and how it all came to be built. From Ken
Smith's collection, with many thanks
19. Matlock Bath: Holy Trinity Church, 1905