|Matlock & Matlock
Bath : What's New, 2015
|Find out about the latest information that's
been added to the Matlock and Matlock Bath website
This year (2017)
2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011
Earlier years are no longer available
to What's New Index
Elsewhere on this web site:
The Andrews Pages What's New
1. Matlock: Oldham
House Hydro, Dining Room, 1908. The dining
room had been built in 1899.
Wesleyan Methodist Church, 1879 - plan. Plan, consisting
of 5 drawings, for the Wesleyan Methodist Church that was to
be built on the Bank.
Bath: View of High Tor, by F. Chantrey, 1822. Engraving
of a Francis Chantrey drawing published in "Peak
4. Matlock Dale:
Heath Bank, around 1900. Heath Bank is one
of a pair of mid-Victorian detached red brick villas which
face High Tor.
1. A series of photos, taken around St. Giles by Susan Tomlinson,
have been added to the site on the Churches
and Chapels page
| St. Giles' Church
in the First Decade of the Twentieth Century |
2. Names on Matlock's
War Memorial : WW1, Surnames K - W.
Two photographs of John Mitchell and a picture of his Memorial
Plaque. With many thanks to the Mitchell family for their
kind permission and to Neil Argyle for providing the images.
3. A pre 1914 Matlock footballer has been identified. See the
Vernon Lamb Archive VLA5253 and VLA5258. Also
thanks to Neil Argyle.
4. Flooding in the Matlocks. Photographs
of the 2000 floods and a sketch drawing from 1907. With thanks
to Susan for these additional images.
The two pages of Newspaper Cuttings and Public Notices have
been re-designed and moved, so a new index has also been
The original pages have been deleted.
1. Matlock & Matlock Bath
Newspaper Cuttings. A collection of newspaper reports
that were published over 75 years ago. This is the new index,
in a new section of the site and covers a wide range of events
in Matlock, Matlock Bath, Riber, Scarthin and Starkholmes.
They reveal all kinds of historical snippets, with some longer
reports or items of significant interest given their own
2. Matlock, Riber & Starkholmes
Newspaper Cuttings. The selected reports begin with a quack
doctor and the death of a married woman in 1745 and finish with
the death of Matlock's then oldest resident in 1928.
3. Matlock Bath & Scarthin
Newspaper Cuttings. Beginning in 1751 with the Old and
New Bath and ending just before the outbreak of the Second
World War with a family funeral.
4. Visit of Princess
Victoria & Her Mother, 1832. A good
deal has been written over the years about this mid-autumn
visit to Matlock Bath by the thirteen year old Princess and
5. The Matlock Bath Riot,
1863. On Saturday 29th August a large party of Sheffield workers
and the managers, clerks and their wives arrived in Matlock Bath
for a works outing. The day was to go horribly wrong.
6. The Murder of Martha Morrall,
26 March 1891. During the evening of 26 March 1891 an elderly
lady, Mrs. Martha Morrall, was shot through the kitchen window of
her home on Bent Lane (now Cavendish Road). Mrs. Morrall and her
husband were Quakers.
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897. Matlock and
District marked Queen Victoria's sixty years on the throne in some
style on Jubilee Day itself. Bunting was put up and there were lunches
and teas, sports and bands entertained the crowds. In the evening
there were torchlight processions, lighted candle displays and beacons
were lit. The walks in Matlock Bath the were lit with fairy lamps
and illuminated boats were out on the river.
8. Matlock & Matlock Bath Newspaper
Cuttings, Jul 1914 - Nov 1918. Deals with the First World War,
so from the outbreak of war in Europe on 28 July 1914* until shortly
after the armistice on 11 November 1918. It begins with a regatta
and ends with a wounded soldier, covering a wide range of new stories
that are not included elsewhere on the site. *Britain did not declare
War on Germany until 4th August.
9. Matlock: Sparrow Park,
Smedley Street East, 1940s. Matlock Council
did not want to spoil the view.
10. Names on Matlock's
War Memorial : WW1, Surnames A - J.
- The web mistress is delighted to announce that, as a result of
her extensive research into the identity of Private H. L. Grey,
a war casualty about whom nothing was known, his details have now
been accepted by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and he is
now listed on their site.
- It is now also known who W. Holland, whose name appears on the
memorial, was. He proved hard to find.
11. Matlock's WW1 Casualties
Not Listed on the Memorial. A. E. Miller.
1. Matlock & Matlock Bath
Public Notices & Announcements.
Moved to a new section on the site and the original page has
been deleted. There are many new entries. Subjects include
sales of property and goods and businesses opening or closing,
currently between the years 1758 and 1916.
2. The War Memorials. Many of the casualties have additions
to the information already provided. They are too numerous
to list individually.
4. Flooding in the Matlocks. Postcard
of a swollen river and flooded landing stage, ca 1900 added.
Bath, South Parade & the Pitchings.
Image re scanned and the page re written.
Wesleyan Methodist Church, 1906 - the new spire.
Design for the new porch and tower of the Wesleyan Methodist
Church at Matlock Bridge
2. Matlock: Coup
- Else Marriage at St. Giles', 1890. Wedding
of one of the Else family of Lime Tree House
3. Matlock Bath:
Else & Marsh Wedding, Glenorchy Chapel,
1915. There were two Marsh family khaki weddings in one
day. This features one of them. The groom was Sapper John Else.
Both with thanks to Judy Cooper.
4. Matlock Bath: Holme
Road to the Prospect Tower. Rare photograph
of the bottom of Holme Road and a second photo from the station
bridge. The Holme Road image from the late Kenneth Smith.
1. Matlock: Production
in a Church Hall, 1950s. Two larger
images have been provided in the hopes that someone with
recognise the picture or the people in it and confirm the
Bath: Venetian Fête (now Venetian Nights),
decorated boats. More names have been added to list of
3. Names on Matlock's
War Memorial : WW1, Surnames A - J. More about John Else.
4. Matlock's WW1
Casualties Not Listed on the Memorial. More
about Samuel Carline
Slater and Brunt of Matlock Bank. Three generations
of the Slater family lived on the Bank in the nineteenth century,
some of whom never left Matlock. They would have seen a great
deal of change in the town over the years. Thanks to a wonderful
album designed and sold by W. N. Statham, photographs of them
still remain with the family today.
1. Matlock & Matlock
Bath Photographers. William Godber, who briefly worked
in Matlock Bath. Photograph back and example of his work (portait
of Ann Slater).
2. Matlock Bath: Rider Point,
Via Gellia. One of the images has been replaced.
The Staff of All Saints' School, 1903 now included
the names of the staff in 1899.
1. Matlock: Lumsdale,
about 1900. Matlock's oldest industrial area, where mills
were powered by water from the Bentley Brook. Includes photos
of the brook today. With very grateful thanks to Susan Tomlinson
for all her her help and for very kindly taking photographs
for the web site.
2. Matlock: Harvey
Dale Mountain Limestone Quarry, Dale Road.
Rare photograph of Greatorex and Son's quarry on Dale Road,
with advertisement for both the quarry and the Great Masson
Cavern. The images were generously given by the late Kenneth
Bath: The Great Masson Cavern. Doubt was cast on
the ownership of the Masson Cavern in the late 1890s.
1. Matlock. The general history of the town and its various
sections has been updated, with the section about Lumsdale
re-written. Some photo have been made bigger and others added.
Some of the new photos are from Susan Tomlinson.
2. Mrs. Mary Whittaker,
Aërated Water Manufacturer
1. Matlock: Rockside
Hydro. From its opening to the outbreak
of the first world war. Three images.
Rockside - Teacher Training College, 1945-88.
After the War Rockside was bought by Derbyshire County Council
and was converted into a teacher training college.
Teacher Training College - Rockside Students, 1954-6.
Description of student life at the all female Matlock Training
College based on a former student's personal experience. With
grateful thanks to Mairi Beighton.
St. Giles' Church in the First Decade of the Twentieth Century.
Having been enlarged in the late 1890s, work on the church
continued in the early twentieth century.
5. Matlock: St. Giles'
Church Interior, about 1910. The church
interior, showing the oak stalls, the organ case, and the
Bath: Romantic Rocks or Dungeon Tors, 1864. Secluded
rocks popular with nineteenth century tourists.
Dale: High Tor & the Suspension
Bridge over the Derwent. About 1904, with a description
from Abel Heywood's Guide.
Dale: High Tor & Artists' Corner (3). The River
Derwent has cut a deep and comparatively narrow gorge through
the carboniferous limestone.
Ernest Bailey's Grammar School Rugby Team, 1949-50.
The team en route for Ashbourne. With thanks to Bernard Gale
and Phil Wigfull.
Bath: New Bath & Cat Tor from the Cumberland
Cavern. The view of Hagg Wood and Cat Tor, taken from outside
the Cumberland Cavern in the 1930s. With thanks to Christine
1. Matlock: Rockside
Hydro, 1925-45. A high class hydropathic
establishment, advertised as being 800 feet above sea level.
It all ended at the outbreak of the second world war. Two
more images of the hydro. This page has been almost entirely
Rockside Hall - Commemoration Weekends, 1955 & 1956.
Matlock Teacher Training College. An additional photo of students
performing dance routines at the end of the academic year.
3. There have been changes to every page about Rockside.
See the Twentieth and
Twenty First Century Images Index (under Rockside).
4. Claremont, Matlock,
and Mr. Rowland
5. Matlock House Hydropathic
Establishment Advertisement, 1888. Now includes details
of the nineteenth century proprietors and an enlargement
of the image of the hydro.
6. Matlock: St. Giles
Parish Church, Matlock, before 1908. A second image added,
plus a little about the church bells that were cast or recast
7. Matlock: St. Giles
Church and Old Matlock, early 20th Century.
The page has been re-named (it was Matlock: St. Giles, 1909)
and a little more information has been added.
8. Matlock: St. Giles
Parish Church, Lych Gate. Another image
added, plus more information
Bath: High Tor, the Rock Face (1). Now includes
a brief description of the first successful climb.
Bath: High Tor, the Rock Face (2) - The Giddy Edge.
Now includes an 1861 advertisement about paths and walkways
Bath: Royal Cumberland Cavern. Seven more postcards and
additional information. With thanks to Christine Leila Hill for
12. Biographies: Charles Augustus
With thanks to Emily Gaughan for three images:
13. Matlock Bath, Derbyshire -
The Switzerland of England. Two
14. Via Gellia, Derbyshire.
A fifth postcard has been added.
With thanks to Susan Tomlinson:
15. Matlock & Matlock Bath
Statham's 1908 Christmas card of the lych gate at St. Giles.
Willersley Castle Estate Sale, 1927. Sale of the estate,
consisting of about 290 acres - last page of catalogue.
2. Matlock Bath:
Lovers' Walks. A brief history of the walks and how they
came to be owned by the Council.
Bath: River Derwent and Promenade, about 1904. Three
images of the river and promenade alongside North Parade. Including
one with thanks to Ken Smith.
Bath: River Derwent, 1906. View of the Derwent
favoured by artists.
5. Matlock Bath:
River Derwent, 1914.
Derwent at Matlock Bath, 1950. The river at the southern
end of North Parade and the hillside above, a few years before
the riverside buildings were pulled down. Three images and
an advertisement for the Devonshire Hotel.
Bath: The river behind South Parade's shops and businesses. Four postcards of the stretch of the river between
the old Devonshire Cafe and the Grand Pavilion from the 1920s
and 30s. Plus an enlargement of part of one of them
Bath: River Derwent, Masson Weir. Permission was
granted to convey water to the paper mill on the banks of
the Derwent. The Masson weir was then constructed. Six
Bath: River Derwent from Willersley Road. View of Harp
Edge from Scarthin Rock.
10. Matlock Bath: Mrs. Jemima
Ballard. Ran several businesses
in Matlock Bath at the beginning of the twentieth century and
owned a petrifying well. With thanks to John Watts for the photo.
Twentieth century trade directories. 799 additional names:
11. 1912 Kelly's Directory
: Matlock, Private Residents 171 names.
12. 1912 Kelly's
Directory : Matlock, Commercial Premises A - L } 412
names in total
13. 1912 Kelly's
Directory : Matlock, Commercial Premises M - Y }
14. 1912 Kelly's Directory
: Matlock Bath : 216 names
15. 1912 Kelly's Directory
: Official Establishments, Local Institutions etc
|Alterations to some pages:
Because of an increasing number of pictures of the River
Derwent, such a major feature in the Matlock Bath landscape,
Century Images of Matlock Bath Index has been changed.
The section "On the Derwent" has gone, replaced
Derwent, from north to south".
File names have also been changed to enable better navigation.
The pages affected are:
Bath: River Derwent & the Devonshire Hotel, 1892.
Another image, a black and white photograph, has been added
to this page.
Bath: The Parade & the Derwent, 1920s-1930s. A second
photo has been added, taken by Cyril Edmonds. With thanks
to Ken Smith.
Bath: View from River Derwent. The
page has been updated and a sepia version of the picture
has been added. With thanks to Ken Smith.
Bath: The Heights of Abraham, from the Derwent, 1904.
Bath: Boating on the River Derwent, 1914. A coloured
version of the main picture has been added.
Bath: Boats For Hire, 1950s.
Bath: River Derwent from Lovers Walk, 1926.
Dale - High Tor and Artists' Corner (4). A sepia card,
plus an enlargement of part of the card, has been added.
Visitors to Cromford Court, 1933 onwards. Another
group photo of F.H.A. visitors, with thanks to Ken Smith.
Bath: Lovers Walks, 1950s. A second picture from the
photographer, looking towards the river. Also from Ken Smith.
Bath: Holy Trinity Choir, Procession of Witness, 1935. Seven
more photos added. With thanks to Christine Leila Hill.
Dale: The Weir and the High Tor Tunnel. The weir was built
and goit were built for the colour works and the tunnel was
blasted through in the mid to late 1840s.
Bath: Upper Wood, with views of Matlock Bath & Starkholmes.
Late nineteenth century postcard showing the settlement. Taken about 1890.
Bath: Great Scout Parade, Royal Hotel, 18th March 1917.
Now includes a photo of Baden-Powell from the Scout Gazette.
With thanks to Susan Tomlinson.
2. Matlock Bath:
Clarence Terrace, Holme Road, about 1900. A second image
has been added. With thanks to Christine Leila Hill.
3. Matlock Bath:
New Bath Hotel (5). A second image
has been added. With thanks to Christine Leila Hill.
4. United Methodist
Free Chapel, Smedley's Hydro, Matlock, 1885. There is
now a little more information.
5. Matlock from Riber,
1914. Two enlargements of the sections
of the postcard have been added, one of which shows the roof
of the Congregational Chapel on Matlock Green.
5. Churches and Chapels. Additional
information about the Wesleyan Methodist church and its links
to Smedley's Free Chapel.
6. Lead Mining. A new section on accidents
Images on Pages 1, 2 and 3 with grateful thanks to Susan Tomlinson.
Images 4 and 5 from Malcolm Reynard, with many thanks.
Bank Primitive Methodist Church, School Treat, 1904.
Photograph of the annual Sunday School outing on Whit Monday.
Smedley's Grand Dining Room. A pre 1914 war photo. Includes
the 1900 Banquet menu and a little about the Banquets.
The Winter Garden, Smedley's Hydro. The Winter
Garden, with its fernery and ballroom, was magnificent when
it opened in 1900. Two images.
4. Matlock: Smedley's
Hydro Bath Book, about 1928. Patients
were given bath books to record their treatment.
Smedley's Hydro Staff, late 1920s. Two photos and
a testimonial from a grateful patient
Bath: Fish Pond Hotel, 1930s. Rare postcard of the
hotel, plus an advertisement.
7. Matlock Bath:
Fish Pond (3). Pretty view of the Fish Pond.
Bath: South Parade & Heights of Abraham, 1914-18.
Includes some soldiers, who were probably billeted in the village.
9. Matlock Bath: Multi
View (1). With pictures dating from the late 1920s and
early 1930s, including the monkeys on Lovers' Walk.
10. Matlock: Willersley
Castle, early 1900s. In 1905 a large party was held in
11. Matlock: Willersley Castle,
about 1931. The post Arkwright alterations were sympathetic
to the character of the building. But some Victorian ideas
12. Matlock: Riber Castle.
Built as a family home, it became a boys' school, then a government
food store and was later a zoo. Two images.
13. Matlock: Starkholmes
and Riber from a Path to High Tor. With a little about
Wards End and some of the people who lived there
1. Smedley's Hydro,
Matlock, 1906-7. A second card has been
Bank and Matlock Bridge, 1890s. A second postcard has been
added. With thanks to Susan Tomlinson.
3. Via Gellia, Derbyshire. A fourth postcard has been added.
4. Riber Hill and
Castle, Matlock has been re-written. Now includes a little
on 18th century Riber.
5. Riber Hall, Matlock has
also been re-written and now includes information about the
families who lived there in the 19th and 20th centuries.
6. Matlock: Riber
Hall engraving. This has also been re-written to include
information about the Allen family who lived there in the mid
7. Matlock Bath:
The Royal Hotel. More about its opening in