In early 1910 fundraising for a new Mission Church for Over
Hackney began, led by the then Rector of St. Helen's, Rev.
R. W. Whittington. It was considered that the churches of
Matlock All Saints' and St. Helen's in Darley were too far
away for general use.
Land had been given by James Walton of Warney Farm, who was
one of the church wardens. This leaflet was designed to encourage
donations from parishioners and others.
The foundation stone for the mission church was laid on Saturday
3 May 1913, in what was described as "drenching rain",
by the Duke of Rutland. Bishop Abraham, the Bishop of Derby,
and Rev. Whittington were in attendance.
A sealed bottle was placed In the cavity under the stone; it
contained a copy of the Parish Magazine, a copy of the announcement
of the laying of the stone, a shilling and a penny.
Tea, which would have undoubtedly have been very welcome after
the downpour, was provided afterwards in the temporary mission
Mission services at had been held in Mr. Bowler's joiner's shop
for the previous four years, which was clearly not ideal..
The church opened the following year.
 "Derbyshire Courier", 5
May 1913. New Church Near Matlock.
 "Derbyshire Courier", 13
Directory of Derbyshire, 1932", kindly provided by Rosemary