|Darley Dale, Whitworth Hospital
Lady Louisa Whitworth built Whitworth Cottage Hospital, the first
of two major building projects in Darley Dale, following
the death of her husband. In September 1889 "the
Whitworth hospital, built through the munificence of the late
Sir Joseph Whitworth Bart., who was a native of this parish,
is nearly completed. Miss Burford, from the Salford Nurses'
Home, has been appointed matron. The cost of the convalescent
home or hospital is very little under 10,000l.
and money is provided to maintain it throughout. It will be under
the control of Lady Whitworth and the legatees of the late baronet".
It was opened for patients shortly afterwards. In 1895 the Hospital,
described as "beautifully
situated on an elevation",
could accommodate 14 patients and by 1912 two cots had been
added to the number of beds.
The hospital had closed in 1897 "with an object of carrying
out a scheme of re-organisation" and
on 14 Dec 1898 the Duchess of Devonshire officially opened
the "Endowed Whitworth General and Infectious Hospitals
(gifts to Darley district)".
In June 1889 the first annual meeting of subscribers was held
and Dr Moxon reported that since January of that year the hospital
had dealt with 33 patients, some of whom were severe accident
cases from the local works at Darley Dale and at Matlock. He
added that they could accommodate16 people at any one time,
so this presumably included the 2 cots.
"Whitworth Hospital, Darley Dale". Published by G. Marsden & Son,
Wirksworth. No.3322, Derbyshire "Artistic" Series.
Posted 26 Apr 1911 in Manchester
Image in the collection of, researched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only
 The Derby Mercury, 4 Sep,
 Kelly's Directory of
Derbyshire, 1895 and 1912
 The Weekly Standard
and Express, Blackburn, 18 Dec 1898
 The Morning Post,
15 December, 1898
 The Sheffield & Rotherham
Independent, 9 Jun 1899