The card's caption is not quite correct as the view is of Church
Street and Lea Bridge, with the hillside opposite belonging to
Matlock parish (Bow Wood) - so not of Upper Holloway. In
the distance is Cromford Hill and Black Rocks. The roof of
Lea Mills can be seen far left, just over half way up the
picture. The one thing that is hard to spot in the valley
below is the cupola for Lea's smelting works. Look at the
exact centre of the card, then go slightly to the right where
there is a row of houses going towards the right. The cupola
is just behind the houses.
In the field closest to the camera are birds; whilst they
could be chickens they are more likely to have been turkeys.
There is then a footpath that ran from opposite the main entrance
to Lea Hurst right up to Long Lane. Susan Tomlinson has commented
that the locals always called this walk 'up Bob Yeomans' as
at some stage the land was farmed by Bob Yeomans. There is
then a narrow field with sheds in it, with another field beyond
that where cows are lying down.
About a third of the way up the photo is a row of
seven semi-detached council houses. Behind the fifth house
from the left used to be a Co-op Grocery shop, but this is
no longer there and is thought to have burnt down. Holloway
Co-operative Society was formed some time before 1861.
At the right hand end of the council properties is a large
square-looking house which housed more of the Co-op - the Drapery
was on the right hand side of the ground floor. The left side
was used by the Wirksworth branch of the Westminster Bank.
A member of staff would visited Holloway once a week for
any business, possibly on a Thursday. It is believed that the
Reading Room that Florence Nightingale gave the village might
have also been in the same building. The rest of the building
Between this property and the next right is a short road called
Little London, which is both steep and un-adopted. The next
building was Limb's, a general grocery shop smelling of a mixture
of bread and paraffin, etc., in the 1950s. It sold everything
from paraffin, to sugar and sweets. There were lots of small
drawers behind the counter.
||Chapels for the Wesleyan and Primitive
Methodists were built in the village in 1854.
On the left is one of many chapels built by John Smedley
of Lea Mills and Riber; it can be seen behind the house
and is on the right in the main image.
In June 1855 two marriages at the chapel, at which John
Smedley officiated, were announced in the local papers:
May 28th, Thomas Greenhough, to Elizabeth England, by
Mr Smedley, at his chapel, Holloway.
Luke Hall to Susannah Radford, by Mr Smedley, at his
The houses on the right at right angles to the others are
on what is called Hillside, at one time it was called The Square
(there used to be another row of houses across the top). They
were in blocks of three. Someone who lived there between 1910
and 1917 recalled that they had shared taps outside though
later the taps were moved indoors. These houses were later
demolished and replaced by council houses and bungalows for
 "Derbyshire Courier",
21 December 1861. The paper reported that the Lea and Holloway
Co-operative Society had a quantity of grocery goods deposited
at the Lea Mills Wharf, and some local boys had been seen opening
the parcels and appropriating the goods. On this occasion it
was resolved amicably as the boys apologised when the case
went to the Petty Sessions.
 Post Office Directory of Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire,
1855. The Directory records that they were recently built,
but later directories provide they year as 1854.
 "Derby Mercury", 6
Also see, elsewhere on this web site:
Directory, 1891: Dethick, Lea and Holloway mention's Smedley's chapel