Taken from Charterhouse, this card shows Frith Hill with Charterhouse
Road encircling the foot of the Hill. Dean Lodge, the large
house on the corner of Peperharow Road and Charterhouse Road,
had a large vegetable garden next to Peperharow Road. In
1913 it was the home of Edward Browne Bishop who was a senior
clerk in the Civil Service.
The house was demolished in the 1970s and flats were built
but one of the houses on the same side of the road as Dean
Lodge, from the junction of Borough Road, have also been demolished
and replaced by modern houses.
What is especially interesting about this card is that it
shows the Lammas Lands on the far side of the railway embankment
had become a large lake, flooded in October 1903 after heavy
rain. The River Wey had burst its banks and water had crept
through the railway arch and onto the land on the far side
of Borough Road. It is hard to see, but Borough Road was also
flooded. A newspaper of the day reported: "The
incessant downpour of Sunday resulted, as might expected, in
serious floods, and the low-lying parts of the county have
suffered considerably. In fact, thousands of acres were inundated.
Reports of damage come from Guildford, Stoke, Burpham, Woking,
Send, Newark, Pyrford, Ripley, Godalming, Chertsey, Staines
and Farnham. Potatoes are extensively grown in some of the
places named ... it is inevitable that the crop must be a poor
one ... a majority of the tubers will almost certainly be rotted.
Lammas Lands were not used to grow potatoes, but if the tubers
had been affected elsewhere it would have caused some hardship.
Enlargement of the above, showing the large area under
Flood water can be seen under the arch of the railway
on the small green at the Charterhouse Road / Borough Road
There is a similar view:
General View of Godalming, about 1905
 "Kelly's Directory of
Surrey" (1913) Kelly & Co. Ltd, London.
In the 1911 census he was living with his widowed mother and
siblings at Ashtead Farm House.
 Date from "Memories
of Farncombe and Godalming" (1981), The Godalming
Trust. Principal written contributions by Harold Pitt and
 "Surrey Mirror",
Friday 16 October 1903.