Godalming's High Street has changed only a little since this
picture was taken from beside the Pepperpot, which
is at the junction with Church Street. The Angel Hotel on
left has been replaced by Angel Court but many buildings
on the left hand side of the road remain the same, although
there may be more modern shop fronts at ground floor level.
Eastmans Limited, on the right, was a butcher's shop at what
was 69 High Street and
had neen occupied by Eastmans as early as 1913. Before then
it had been a greengrocers for some years, run first by S.
W. Luxford and then by C. W. Trimmer.
John Janaway, in his book about the local pubs, cites a document
of 1660 that referred to this three storey timber framed building
as "Griggs" The
building was described in 1660 as a "messuage or tenement,
barn, curtilage and garden called Griggs in Godalming, occupied
by John Marner, abutting east on Inn called the Antelopp, formerly
of John Denyer, now of Richard Stockton, west on messuage or
tenement formerly of Richard Smith, now of Henry Jesopp, south
on lands of John Perior, north on High Streete".
There are two further documents referring to "Griggs",
dated 1710 and 1713.
The Inn called the Antelopp, which "Griggs" was next
to on it's eastern side, later became the
White Hart Inn. This is larger timber-framed building next
to Eastmans and was still in use as an inn when this picture
was taken. The sloping sign between the first floor windows
seems to show the outline of a white hart, but it is indistinct.
At the far end of the building is the two storey entrance way
into White Hart Yard.
A cycle store of some kind, run by Alexander ___ [name unknown]
was through the gates on the right of Eastman's butchery.
Unfortunately, other shop signs are not easy to read.
 "Kelly's Directory of Surrey"
(1913) Kelly & Co. Ltd, London.
 From other photographs and the 1911
census, which can be found on FindMyPast.
 Janaway, John (2003) "Godalming
and Farncombe Pubs and Breweries", Ammonite Books, Godalming,
Surrey. ISBN 1-869866-14-2.
 Surrey History Centre, Woking. Ref:
212/52/48212/52/48. Date: 20 Aug 1660.