|The White Hart & High Street, Godalming, before
A view of Godalming High Street, probably taken at the end
of the nineteenth century. This is a slightly earlier photograph
of the White Hart Inn than shown on the
previous page. The Pepperpot is on the left,
with a poster (unreadable) on one of the pillars.
The timber framed building
on the far right was a florist and gardener's shop in 1891,
run by William S Gower.
It was taken over by W. S. Luxford by 1895 as there is a photograph
taken that year showing his name above the shop window.
the second doorway in the White Hart building, also doesn't
have a sign over the shop. A group of people are standing
in the road and on the pavement outside Jury's and a youngish
girl is standing on the step..
Behind them is the entrance to White Hart Yard. Once
the coaching days were over the yard was used by a variety
of businesses. For example, in 1881 several families were living
in caravans in White Hart Yard; the heads of house were named
as Alfred Hammond, W. Hopkins and Geo Mayo, all of whom were
general dealers but did not know where they were born.
In 1901 Henry Wheatland, a fish salesman, was living in White
Hart Yard and
by 1907 John Lee, a building contractor and undertaker used
On the pavement opposite the White Hart, outside one of the
shops, is a tall pile of trunks but it is impossible to tell
what else the shop sold.
"High Street, Godalming". No publisher. Not posted,
though another card was posted in 1904. Publication date unknown.It
was probably published in the early twentieth century as there
are instructions about the writing space on the divided back, which
indicate it was from around 1902, when the Post Office allowed
writing on the back of cards.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched and written by and © Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only.
 1891 census
 Head, Ronald E., (2005) "Godalming",
The Francis Frith collection, ISBN 1-85937-976-1 (with research
by John Young). Their book has two photographs of these buildings,
one dated 1895 and the other 1907.
 The Jury family were hairdressers
on the High Street from the 1870s onwards.
 1881 census.
 1901 census.