Here is a lovely early twentieth century postcard of Manchester.
The building on the left side of the photograph was the Tweedale Restaurant
at 23 Market Place. In 1895 Thomas Sidgrave Smalley was the proprietor.
Next door was the Wellington Inn - the inn's name is on the
lamp glass - and the innkeeper or his assistant can be seen,
wearing his working apron, standing proudly behind his barrels
of beer. The inn seems to have been in the hands of one family
for a long time. In 1858 the licence was transferred
from Elizabeth Kenyon to James Kenyon and
in 1872 from James Kenyon to Samuel Kenyon.
In 1883 and 1886 Samuel Kenyon was listed at 27 Market Place,
He was followed as the licensee by his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth
Kenyon, who was shown as running a public house at 27 Market
Place & Old Shambles in 1895, 1903, 1909 and 1911.
A story from Mrs. Kenyons time at the Inn was reported in
the newspapers. In 1899 a barrel of brandy, worth £86
4s., mysteriously disappeared from outside the Inn, also known
as Kenyon's Vaults. The barrel had been left outside the until
it could be lowered into the cellar. Three cab drivers witnessed
two men rolling the barrel towards Deansgate. It was apparently
taken to a cellar in Gove-street and was then sold on. The
person who was successfully prosecuted for stealing Elizabeth
Kenyon's brandy, one Henry Abba, claimed at first that the
barrel contained cider. The
brandy does not seem to have been recovered!
As well as the Wellington Inn, two other
hosterlies were to be found in The Shambles - The Fish Market
Tavern and The Fox Hotel and
later (1909) the Coronation Tavern.
Wil Chambers Fishing Angler has premises above the inn (his
name is on the window) with access on the Market Place to
the left of the inn. In 1903 he is listed amongst the Fishing
Tackle Makers & Dealers with an address as 25 Market place.
J.B. Muscrop was also in the same building in 1895 and 1903.
There also seem to have been several fishmongers and oyster dealers
trading in Old Shambles, at least one butcher's shop, and florists
and fruiterers, grocers and tea dealers and Italian Warehousemen and
Hanson Shirt Makers (Hosier & --- ) is pictured on the
right, on the corner of the Market Place and with premises
at 1 Market Hall. His business wasn't the only commercial
venture in the building. James Hanson was working there in
1886 and up to 1903,
though was not there in 1909.
This card, postmarked Manchester, was sent by one of Ann's great aunts
(Emily Grace Atkins - nee Walker) to her sister Hilda who was staying
in Aberystwyth, Wales. The card is dated 14 August 1916 but the postcard
itself predates the postmark by several years.
*I've received one or two enquiries from people wanting
to know who Samuel Kenyon was. The 1881 census shows him
living at "Wellington
Inn", Old Shambles Manchester, Lancashire (RG11/3992
f.17 p.28). He was born in Crumpsall in 1849. His wife Elizabeth
(nee Ridyard) was born in Manchester in 1848 and the couple
were married in 1871. They had several children - 4 listed
in 1881 - and they employed servants to work in the inn
and a nurse to help with the children. On 20 November
1892 Samuel Kenyon of Hazlewood Beaver Park Didsbury Manchester
and of the "Wellington" inn-market place Manchester
innkeeper died at Hazlewood Park. Probate was awarded to
his widow Elizabeth Kenyon and his son James, an innkeeper.