Mochdre is a small village high up in the hills above Newtown and
the Severn Valley.
"Mochdre is a parish situated about 3 miles S.E. from Newtown,
and is in its county court, union and postal district. The parish
is of a very irregular and mountainous character. The church, re-built
several years since, is a neat, but small building, dedicated to St.
Asaph. Carding and fulling are carried on to a small extent. Population
in 1861, 526; in 1871, 542".
In 1813 Ann's gg grandmother, Martha Lewis, was baptised in the Parish
Church of Mochdre (or Moughtrey), though clearly not in the building
as it is today. Martha was actually born at Pentre and was the daughter
of Edward and Maria Lewis. She was married twice, first to Richard
Lewis and then to George Swain. As an adult she lived in Newtown.