Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Ashford, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p. 30
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
ASHFORD is a parish, formed in 1840 from the parish of Bakewell, 1½ miles north-west from Bakewell and 1 mile from Longstone station on the Midland railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell : the village is on the north bank of the Wye and surrounded by lofty hills, in which variously coloured marbles are quarried : water is derived from springs. The church of the Holy Trinity, now chiefly in the Decorated style, consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a low embattled tower at the west end containing 3 bells, one of which is dated 1612, and there is also a sanctus bell : the curfew may still be heard here, as well as the pancake bell, rung at 11 a.m. on Shrove Tuesday : the tower is probably in part of the 13th century, although its battlements and pinnacles are of a much later date : the chancel has a niche on the north side used as a credence table, and in the vestry is a chest and chairs of 17th century work : the pulpit is of fine old oak, probably Jacobean : the font is octagonal, with panels inclosing plain shields : over the inner door of the porch is a piece of early sculpture, supposed to represent a wild boar under a tree, and another animal resembling a wolf : on the south side or the church are the remains of an ancient cross, consisting of three ranges of octagonal stone steps and a base about two feet in height : a chantry was founded in this church on the feast of the Purification, 1257, by Griffin, son of Wenunwyn, who then held this manor : the once almost universal custom in English villages of hanging up funeral garlands in the church for deceased maidens is still preserved here, and five of these still hang from the beams of the north aisle, one to Anne Howord being dated 1747, and another to Ann Swindel, 1798 : there are brasses to the late Lord George Henry Cavendish M.P. North Derbyshire, d. 23 Sept. 1880, and to three of his sons, Henry George, 68th regiment (Durham light infantry), d. 9 Nov. 1865; Arthur, R.N. d. 13 March, 1858, and Walter Frederick, Rifle brigade, d. at Agra, 26 Nov. 1866, and one to the Rev. W. G. Giles, late vicar : there are also three stained windows: the church was restored in 1869-70 at a cost of £1,600 and in 1890 a sum of £300 was expended in extensive repairs to the roof and in replastering the walls : there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1688. The living is a vicarage, with that of Sheldon annexed, joint gross yearly value £250, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Bakewell ; and held since 1861 by the Rev. John Reddaway Luxmoore, of St. Bees. A substantial parsonage house was erected by subscription in 1855. There is a Methodist chapel here and charities of about £40 yearly value : William Harris, founder of the Free Grammar School, left by will 6th September, 1630, a sum of 20 nobles for as many sermons in Ashford or Sheldon, and Thomas Roose, in 1761, left 20s. to the curate of Ashford, and 40s. to the Presbyterian chapel of Ashford, now disused. The operations of sawing, turning and polishing marble are carried on to a great extent by powerful machinery, worked by water with a considerable fall. Great Finn is a mountain about two miles from Ashford, from which large quantities of rotten-stone are obtained ; on the summit are the remains of a Roman station and two barrows. Near to the village is Ashford Hall, the property of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and the residence of R. Clifford Smith esq. Churchdale, a short distance from the village, is a modern mansion, the residence of William Fenton esq. D.L., J.P. ; Thornbridge, distant about one mile, is the residence of Frederick Craven esq. J.P. ; the Rookery, the property of the Duke of Devonshire, now in the occupation of Mrs. Sorby, is situated on the banks of the Wye. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are James Green and Samuel Needham esqrs. The soil is limestone; subsoil, shale and stone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The acreage is 2,509; rateable value, £5,073 ; the population in 1881 was 675.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance office-Abel Tomlinson, receiver. Letters arrive from all parts through Bakewell at 7.50 a.m. & 6.45 p.m ; sundays, 7.50 a.m. & dispatched at 7.50 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; sundays, 12.30. Telegraph office, railway station, Longstone
Church of England School (mixed), endowed by William Harris, in 1630, with £11 13s. 4d. for educating certain boys free, erected in 1630, for 117 boys & girls ; average attendance, 90 boys & girls ; William R. Stubbs, master ; (girls) Miss Mary Jane Skidmore, mistress
Longstone Railway Station, William Coe, station master

Craven Frederick J.P, Thornbridge hall
Fenton William D.L., J.P. Churchdale
Fletcher Richd. Tweengates, Ashford la
Gratton James
Green Frank, The Grange
Luxmoore Rev. John Reddaway, Vicarage
Milnes Peter, Arncliffe house
Smith R. Clifford, Ashford hall
Somerset Thomas, Elms
Sorby Mrs, The Rookery

Ashton Samuel, fly proprietor
Birley Charles, marble inlayer
Birley Samuel, marble inlayer
Bolsover George, beer retailer
Bramwell Arthur, painter
Bramwell Richard, joiner
Bramwell Thomas, tallow chandler
Cooke Arthur Henry, commercial traveller & shopkeeper
Daybell William, coal agent
Doxey William & Co. spar merchants
Frost Fanny (Mrs.), Devonshire Arms Hotel
Furniss Peter, farmer
Furniss Peter, farmer, Ashford lane
Furniss Robert, farmer
Gould Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Green Frank, farmer, The Grange
Hambleton George, grocer
Hawley Henry, shopkeeper
Holmes Rowland, comb maker
Hulley William, butcher
Kitson John, news agent
Lowe George, Bull's Head P.H. Headstone head
Lowe Thomas, farmer
Marsden John, baker
Milnes Fanny (Miss), shopkeeper
Milnes William, shoe maker
Needham Joseph, Bull's Head P.H
Needham Richard, carpenter
Percival Michael, farmer
Selby Caleb, shoe maker
Smalley Isaac, butcher
Smith James, marble turner
Tomlinson Abel, marble inlayer, Post office
Twigg Joseph, marble quarry owner, marble manufacturer & merchant, sculptor, stone, marble & monumental mason. See advertisement
Vickers Hartley, blacksmith
Wallwin John, miller (water), The Mill
Wallwin Josiah, farmer
WILSON JAMES COX & SONS, builders, contractors, saw mills & whlwghts

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Ashford and the surrounding area

Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Funeral Garland at Matlock Church describes an ancient custom that accompanied the burial of a maiden
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills

Ashford is mentioned in
"The Panorama of Matlock" (1827)