Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Ashover, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 30-31
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Are surnames
NUTTALL or CLAY
mentioned in your
old Ashover
wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress


Ashover, All Saints' Parish Church (Photo Gallery)


ASHOVER is a township and extensive parish, on the river Amber, 7 miles south-west from Chesterfield, 3½ north-west from Stretton station on the Ambergate, Chesterfield and Sheffield section of the Midland railway, and 153 from London by railway through Stretton, in the Chesterfield division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Chesterfield union, Alfreton petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of All Saints, built about 1419, is a large and beautiful edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a square embattled tower at the west end, with a spire 69 feet in height and containing a clock and 6 bells, two of which are dated 1625, and the others 1630, 1751, 1814 and 1890, the latest being the gift of F. J. Fenton esq. : the monuments include a tomb to the Babington family, with life-size recumbent figures of a man and his wife, and around the sides, in small panels, figures of their numerous children : on the floor, within the altar rail, is large brass, with figures to the Rollestone family and one to Robert Eyre, a former rector : the stained east window was inserted by the late rector and his wife about 1857; there are memorial windows to the Nodder family, erected in 1845 ; the Colmore family (1870) and that of Moon (1867) ; one, erected in 1867, by John Thompson esq. in memory of his late wife; and another in 1877, by J. B. Gregory esq. of Raven's Nest., to his parents : the brass eagle lectern was presented by Mr. and Mrs. Jessop, of Overton Hall, in memory of their eldest daughter : the font is of lead, ornamented with figures : in 1886 the interior of the church underwent various alterations and improvements, at a cost of upwards of £600. When an organ chamber was added and the north doorway and tower arch opened, and a hagioscope and part of the rood loft stairs disclosed : the church plate includes pieces dating from 1581 to 1725: there are 600 sittings. The parish register of baptisms dates from 1622 with a gap from 1623 to 1653, of burials and marriages from 1653, and these records are in good condition. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £442, net yearly value £430, including 155 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1878 by the Rev. John Bourne Nodder M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. There are Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels. There is a cemetery of 1½ acres, with one mortuary chapel, under the control of a Burial Board of 9 members. Fairs of cattle and sheep are held on April 25th and October 15th, and a statute fair the Monday before Martinmas day (in November). The charities amount to about £40 yearly : arising from various benefactions, and are all distributed at Christmas, in prizes to the Sunday school children, in flannel, money and beef. Stubben edge, the seat of John Peter Jackson esq. Jr. has been rebuilt on the site of a more ancient mansion. Overton Hall, the seat of William de Burgh Jessop esq. J.P. is an extensive building, situated in a pleasant valley. The Rev. John Bourne Nodder M.A. rector, and others are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are John Jackson esq. J.P. and William de Burgh Jessop esq. J.P. ; there are numerous smaller owners. The soil in the valley is very good, on the hills more barren ; subsoil, grit and limestone. The land is chiefly used as pasturage. The acreage of the township is 9,180: of the parish 11,290 ; rateable value, £11,082 ; the population of the township in 1881 was 2,276.

ALTON, one mile north-east : KELSTEDGE, one mile north-north-west; UPPER TOWN, 2½ miles north-west ; MILLTOWN, one mile south and LITTLE MOOR, one mile east, are hamlets.
There are Church and Nonconformist mission rooms at Alton, where services are conducted on sunday afternoon and evening.

EASTWOOD HALL, destroyed in 1642, and now in ruins, is half a mile east.
Deputy Parish Clerk, Thomas Joseph Beardow.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.-
Jn. Taylor, postmaster. Letters arrive from Chesterfield at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 5.55 p.m. week days only
WALL BOXES :-Ambervale, cleared at 5.45 p.m. ; Littlemoor, at 6.10 p.m. ; Milltown. at 6.5 p.m. ; Stonedge, at 12 noon, mon. wed. & friday only
Police Station, George Wild, Constable in charge

SCHOOLS:-
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 ; Thomas Joseph Beardow, clerk to the board ; Joseph Holmes, attendance officer
Endowed (Upper Town), built in 1881 & endowed with the proceeds of the sale of the Free School buildings, was first erected by George Hodgkinson & completed by his son, William Hodgkinson; in 1703; it is under the control of Charity Trustees & has an annual income of about £30 : the school will hold 60 children ; average attendance, 55 ; Miss Mary Beswick, mistress
Board, erected in 1877, for 285 children ; average attendance, 90 boys, 74 girls & 60 infants; John Gibbons, master; Miss Sarah Hitchman, infants' mistress

CONVEYANCE.-Omnibus, to & from Stretton station

CARRIERS TO CHESTERFIELD.-John Featherstone, tues. thurs. & sat. ; Frank Thompson, tues. thurs. & sat

Ashover.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Barber His Honor Judge William Q.C., M.A., J.P. Marsh green
Bassett Mrs. Ashover Hill
Blackwall Thomas C.E. The Hollies
Boar John
Burley Mrs. Hill house
Chesterman William, Eastwood grange
Fenton Frederick Jarvis, Amber villa
Goodwin Miss, West Bank
Hunter Thomas C. Rose cottage
Jackson John Peter J.P. Stubben edge
Jessop Wm. de Burgh J.P. Overton hall
Macnally Rev. C. Ryder B.A. curate
Mardon Miss, Hillside cottage
Nodder Rev. John Bourne M..A. [rector], Rectory
Nodder Mrs. Bourne house
Ruth George A. The Butts
Thompson Mrs. Dovecote house
Twigg John Henry. Amber house
Wheatcroft Mrs. Moor grange [letter through Tansley, Matlock)

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Joseph, apartments, Hill side
Allen William, farmer, Bleaklow [letters through Tansley, Matlock]
Allsop Matthew, farmer, Dale bank
Ashover Hydropathic Co. Limited (Joseph James Shipman, sec. : Miss Mary Piggin, manageress)
Ashover Lime Works (Kemp & Wilbraham), MiIltown road
Ashover Water Co. Lim. (J.S. EIlse, sec.)
Barker Joseph, wheelwright, Peglant
Bass George, farmer, Span carr
Bassett William, stationer & fancy repository & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for the Ashover district
Beardow Brothers, builders, contractors & wheelwrights
Beardow Saml. farmer, Appletree knoll
Beardow Thos. farmer, Hard Meadow
Beardow Thomas Joseph, clerk to School Board & Burial Board, & dept parish clerk
Bennett William, butcher
Beresford John, boot maker, Milltown
Birks John, farmer, Andrew lane
Birks John, farmer, Raven's house
Blackwall Thomas, architect, civil engineer, The Hollies
Bower Geo. lodging & boarding house
Bown Adam, farmer, Peasenhurst
Down George, farmer, Alice road
Bown James, farmer, Span carr
Bown Samuel, farmer, Slate house
Bown Thomas, farmer, Upper town
Bowring Arundel, farmer, Milltown
Bradley John, Red Lion P.H. & blacksmith, Kelstedge
Bradley Joseph, farmer
Brough William, farmer, Upper town
Bunting Benjamin, tailor
Burdekin Geo. farmer, Sheep Leys farm
Burrows George, farmer, Rushley lodge
Byard John, Three Horseshoes P.H
Cemetery (Thomas Joseph Beardow, clerk to the Burial Board)
Chawner Alfred L.R.C.P. Lond. surgeon
Critchlow Hannah & Sarah (Misses) farmers, Dewey lane [letters through Brackenfield, Alfreton]
Crossland S. & Co. family grocer, provision dealer, baker & refreshment rooms, Standard Supply Stores
Cundy Brothers, saw & turning mills, Kelstedge
Davenport Alice & Annie (Misses), hydropathic establishment, Ambervle
Davis Phœbe (Mrs.), farmer, Brockhurst
Eaton Joseph, saddler & harness maker
Edge Joseph, farmer, Birkin lane
ElIse Joseph Stevenson, Red Lion P.H. & baker
Else John M. miller, Fall mill
Else Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Edges
Else Thomas, farmer, Littlemoor
Else Walter, farmer
Featherstone John, carrier
Fidler Elizh. (Mrs.), farmer, Raven's nest
Fisher John, ironmonger & quarry owner
Fletcher George, farmer, Eastwood hall
Fox John, farmer
Fox William, farmer, Butterley
Francis Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmr. Milltwn
Fretwell Thomas, farmer, Shootersley
Furniss Wm. stone merchnt. Grouse cot
Goodall George, farmer, Hay
Gregory Hy. Miners' Arms P.H. Milltwn
Gregory John Bassett, farmer, Raven's Nest farm
Handley Francis, farmer, Dewey lane [letters through Brackenfield, Alfretn]
Hardwick Robert, farmer, Hay
Hardwick William, farmer, Dale bank
Hardy Alfred, farmer, Green house
Haynes William, farmer, Roach house
Hill Joseph (Mrs.), farmer, Upper end
Hill William, farmer, Upper town
Hill William, shopkeeper, Mill town
Hitchman Daniel, farmer, Demon's dale
Hole John, farmer, Amber hill
Hollingsworth Henry, farmer, Stonedge
Holmes Elzh. (Miss), shopkpr, Kelstedge
Holmes George (Mrs.), farmer, Upper end
HOLMES JOSEPH, Crispin inn, & fly propr. & good stabling accommodation
Holmes Richard, farmer, Shooters lees
Holmes SI. butcher, & White Horse P.H
Hopkinson Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Gorse hall
Hopkinson Reed, mason & buildr Milltwn
Hopkinson Thomas, farmer, Upper town
Hopkinson Thomas, mason & builder
Hunt Elizh, (Mrs.), lodging ho Hill rd
Jeffery William, shopkeeper, Little moor
Johnson Edmund, farmer, High Ashes
Kay Thos. Valentine L.R.C.P. Edin. surgn
Kemp & Wilbraham, stone merchants & lime burners, Ashover lime works
Kirby Samuel, Greyhound P.H. Milltown
Lee Joseph, farmer, Bunting field
Lee William, farmer, Wilkin house
Lees William, farmer, Ardwick
Limb Samuel, Lord Nelson P.H. & farmer, Amber lane
Linley William, farmer, Stonedge
Ludlam William, farmer, Vernon lane
Marriott Edward, farmer, Stonedge
Marriott Joseph, boot & shoe maker
Marriott Samuel, farmer, Henstone cot
Marriott William, farmer, Whitfield
Marsden Elizh. (Mrs), farmer, Lant lodge
Marson William, farmer, Stonedge
Martin Samuel, farmer, Ardwick
Maskery Mary Ann (Miss), shopkeeper, Milltown
Mather Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Lattercotes
Mellor Henry, carpenter, Little moor
Mowbray James, farmer, Clark barn
Mowbray John, farmer
Mowbray Joseph, farmer, Hazelhurst
Nightingale Jane (Mrs.), lodging house, Sunnyside
Pollard Joseph, farmer, Dryhurst
Raines Thomas, farmer, Yew field
Reed Peter, farmer, Milltown
Revell Dolly (Mrs.), White Lion P.H
Revell Henry, wheelwright
Revell Thomas, grocer, tea dealer & provision mer. & refreshment rooms
Rhodes George (Mrs.), farmer, The Moor
Robinson J.& Co. drapers &c, Bamford ho
Robinson James, farmer, Brockhurst
Robinson Jas. Albert, miller, Brockhurst
Robinson Joseph, farmer, Kelstedge
Robinson Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Slack
Saunderson Robert, hair dresser
Shaw Geo. farmer & cattle dlr. Hodge lane
Shaw William, farmer, Eddlestow hall
Sheppard Joseph, shopkeeper
Shipman Abraham, farmer, Far hill
Shipman Joseph James, chemist & seedsman & aerated water manufacturer
Simpson Robert, farmer & stone mercht
Sims German, farmer, Kelstedge
Smith Booth James, carpenter & wheelwright, Kelstedge
Smith Samuel, farmer, Prestedge
Stanley John, farmer, Milltown
Swift Thomas, farmer, Upper town
Swift William, farmer, Span car
Tagg Wm. & Joseph, farmers, Hatches
Taylor George, farmer, Dryhurst
Taylor John, grocer & provision merchant & draper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit mers. Post office
Taylor William, greengrocer
Thompson Francis, carrier
Tomlinson Edward, farmer, Brockhurst
Tomlinson Henry, farmer, Brockhurst
Tomlinson Henry, farmer, Jockey house
Tomlinson John: farmer, Hill top
Tomlinson Joseph (Mrs.), baker
Tomlinson Robert, farmer, Hill top
TOMLINSON WILLIAM, Black Swan P.H. & fly proprietor
Towndrow Charles, farmer, Highore dish
Towndrow Joseph, farmer, Moor grange, Letters through Tansley, Matlock
Towndrow Joseph jun. frmr. Rough close
Turner George, farmer, Oulston moor
Turner John, Red Lion P.H. Stonedge
Twigg John, farmer, Robridding
Twigg, Samuel, farmer, North Britain
Vernon Joseph, farmer, Slack
Waddington Booth, Ashover quarries
Walker Job, farmer, Upper town
Ward Joseph, farmer, Brockhurst
Watson Richd. Kirk, frmr. Gladwin Mark
Watts George, shopkeeper, Kelstedge
Wheeldon John, farmer, Bassett barn
White James, millwright & machinist & general smith
White Joseph (Mrs.),farmr. Spitewinter
White Sarah (Miss), dress maker
White Thomas, assistant overseer & surveyor of roads
White William, farmer, Stonedge
Whittaker William, farmer, Butterley
Willert Margaret (Mrs.), frmr. Milltown
Wilmot Geo. frmr & blacksmth, Milltown
Wilmot George, farmer, Amber lane
Wilmot Joseph, farmer, Slack
Wilmot William, farmer, Brockhurst
Wilson William. lodging ho, Bath villa
Working Men's Club & Institute(William Buxton, hon. sec )
Wragg Benjamin, farmer, Spitewinter

Alton &c.
[Letters are received through Chesterfield. Names marked † should be addressed Tupton, Chesterfield.]
Gothard James, Hill Ride house
Allen Benj. Malt Shovel P.H. & farmer
Allen Joseph, farmer
Bradley Henry, farmer
Bunting Walter, farmer
Dakin John, farmer
†Elliott William, farmer, Press
Fisher William, farmer
Fretwell John, farmer
†Green Thomas, farmer, Northedge
†Hague John, farmer, Northedge
Jepson Robert, farmer
Jepson Henry Young, farmer
†Lowe Thomas, farmer, Press
†Morris Samuel, farmer, Press
1'Mycroft Matthew, farmer, Press
Renshaw Joseph, shopkeeper
†Smedley Jsph, stone mercht. Northedge
Smedley William, stone merchant
Snaith Charles, Manor inn, Northedge
Spencer George, farmer, Alton lane
Spencer John, farmer
†Stone William, farmer, Northedge
Towndrow John, farmer, Ashover hill
†Walker William, farmer, Northedge
Wharton Charles, farmer, Alton lane
Wilson William, blacksmith
Young Henry, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Ashover and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills

Ashover is mentioned in
"The Panorama of Matlock" (1827)