Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Bamford, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.39
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
BAMFORD is a township and parish, formed in 1860 from the civil parish of Hathersage, on the borders of Yorkshire, 11 miles from Miller's Dale station on the Derby and Manchester section of the Midland railway, 10 miles east, from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 12 north from Bakewell and 12 west from Sheffield, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Chapel-en-le-Frith union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. There are two stone bridges crossing the Derwent, one, of three arches, leading to Chapel-en-le-Frith and Sheffield ; the other, of one arch, leading to Shatton. The Chinley and Dore railway, now (1890) in course of construction, passes near the village. The village is supplied with water, conveyed in pipes from a reservoir on Bamford Edge, a mountain ridge over 1,600 feet high, on the southern slopes of which the village lies. The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1860, is a building of stone in the Late Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, vestry and a tower at the north-west angle, surmounted by a fine spire, rising to height of 108 feet, and containing 6 bells, dating from the erection of the church: the circular font of Derbyshire marble, inlaid with Italian marble, was presented by the late Thomas Eyre esq. of Moorseats, in 1860 : all the windows are stained, one on the south side of the nave being the gift of Henry Cottingham M.A. sometime vicar of Hathersage : in the vestibule is a window commemorating the foundation of the church by William Cameron Moore, A.D. 1860, and displaying his arms: there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1860. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £31, net yearly value £157, with residence, in the gift of William Cameron Moore esq. J.P. and held since 1889 by the Rev. Theodor Müller Ward M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a small Catholic chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows, served from Derwent, and with school attached, built in 1882 by the Duke of Norfolk : there is also a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1889 and seating 250. The portion of Joan Morton's Aston charity for the poor of Bamford amounts to £4 13s. : Thornhill's charity of 1Os. Brownhill's of 9s. and Littlewood's of 10s. are distributed on St. Thomas's day. The cotton mill of Messrs. Moore and Son Limited is near the river. The principal landowners are Mark Firth esq. of Oak Brook, Sheffield, W. C. Moore esq. J. S. A. Shuttleworth esq. of Hathersage Hall, J. H. Taylor, of Hathersage, Mrs. W. Robinson, of Manchester, the trustees of George Benton esq. late of Manchester, and Mrs. H. Hawke, of Sheffield. The area is 1,475 acres ; rateable value, £1,730; the population in 1881 was 453.

Parish Clerk, George Barton.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- John w. West, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Sheffield at 8 a.m ; departure 5.40 p.m. week days only

POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE, Mytham Bridge.-Ambrose Marsden, receiver. Letters arrive from Sheffield 7.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 6 p.m

Mixed National, erected in 1840 & since enlarged, for 110 children; average attendance, 47; Thos. Hodson, master
Catholic, erected in 1882, for 95 children; average attendance, 26; Miss Margaret England, mistress

CARRIERS TO SHEFFIELD.-Henry Turner, tees. ; Mrs. Harriet Ibbotson, fri

Dudley Mrs. Priddock house
Moore Joseph Hall J. P
Moore William Cameron J.P
Robinson Charles Henry, Heatherdene
Ward Rev. Theodor Müller M.A. [Rectory]


Ashton George, farmer
Barker John, butcher
Barker Joseph, tailor, Wood lane
Beeley Joseph, shopkeeper
Bolsover Thomas, farmer
Bradbury George, plasterer & slater
Burton John, shopkeeper
Cotterill Mary Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer
Dalton Isaac, farmer
Dent John, Marquis of Granby hotel
Dronfield Ambrose, farmer, Wood lane
Eadon Hy. Hopkinson, Yorksh. Brdg. P.H
Haslam Jonathan Mort, Anglers P.H. & surveyor of highways
Hobson John Thorpe, draper & shoe ma
Ibbotson Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper & carrier
Kirk Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Marsden Ambrose, carpenter, Post office, Mytham Bridge
Melland John, stone mason
Moore Sl. M. & Son Lim. cotton doublers
Platts Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Robinson John Henry, farmer
Rowarth Elias, farmer
Turner Henry, farmer & carrier
Wainwright George, blacksmith, Mytham Bridge
Wallworth Wm. bee keeper, The Knoll

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Bamford and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills