Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire (with Dove Holes)
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.75-78
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITHis a parish and small market and union town and head of a county court district, 6 miles north from Buxton and 166 from London by road, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, head of a petty sessional division, rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The London and North Western and the Midland railways have stations here; the former is three quarters of a mile from the town. The Dore and Chinley branch of the Midland railway, now (1891) in course of construction, will be 20 miles in length and will give direct communication between Dore (on the Sheffield and Ambergate branch) and Chinley and Milton (near Chapel-en-le-Frith, on the Manchester and Ambergate branch); it will pass through Hathersage, Hope, Castleton and Edale, passing over a fine viaduct at Chinley and through two very long tunnels, one at Totley 3¾ miles in length, and one at Cowburn 2⅟10 miles long: the engineers are Messrs. Parry and Storey of Derby and Nottingham. The Peak Forest tramway, for the conveyance or minerals and goods only, passes through the town. The town is supplied with water from springs rising in Combs Moss, a hill about one mile to the south-east ; the water is stored in a reservoir and conveyed to the town in pipes by the Chapel-en-le-Frith Water Company. The town is lighted with gas from works on the north side of the town, the property of the Chapel-en-le-Frith Gas Company. The church of St. Thomas à Becket is a building of stone, chiefly of modern date, with the exception of the chancel, which dates from 1224, it consists of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: there are several mural tablets to the Bagshawe family, dating from 1628 to 1818, and stones in the churchyard dating from 1662. The registers date from the year 1620, and are in good preservation. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £11, with 75 acres of glebe, gross yearly value £297, with residence, in the gift of such of the parishioners as are assessed to poor rates. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, the former being a stone building with a turret, in the Decorated style : there is also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at the Combs. The Town Hall, a large building of stone, erected in 1851, at the sole expense of the late Thomas Slack esq. M.D. and enlarged in 1882, contains suites of rooms wherein the County Court and magistrates' meetings are held; the net receipts from rents of this building were left by Dr. Slack for the benefit of three schools in the neighbourhood, viz. the National, Chapel-en-le-Frith, the Bowden Head school and Chinley Congregational Sunday school. A charity left in 1696 by Mary Dixon realizes £27 1s. yearly, £25 1s. of which goes to the National schools and £2 to the poor: William Walker in 1625 left £9 17s. 8d, yearly to the poor: Francis Mosley in 1704 left £26 a year, two-thirds for the incumbent and one-third to the poor: Gisborne's (1818) Charity for this parish is £7 5s. : there are also a number of minor charities amounting to about £38 yearly. In the Market place is a plain stone cross dated 1634. Here are paper mills, manufactories of buckram, wadding and scrap iron and a brewery. At Barmour Clough is an ebbing and flowing well, which has excited much attention. The ancient custom of ringing the curfew is still observed here every evening. The fairs are Thursday before February 14th, March 3rd and 29th, Thursday before Easter, April 30th, Holy Thursday and the Thursday three weeks afterwards, July 7th, Thursday after October 11th and Thursday before November 23rd. Cattle market-first Thursday in each month. The B Company, and Volunteer Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment) have their head quarters in the town. Bank Hall is the seat of Henry Constantine Renshaw esq. J.P. by whom it has been rebuilt on the site of an ancient house. Bowden Hall, the property of the Bev, W. S. Barnes-Slacke M.A. of Fulsham House, Wilmslow, Cheshire, and vicar of St. John's, Lindow, is the residence of Joseph Wainwright esq. Slacke Hall belongs to the same owner, but is at present unoccupied. Eccles House, the seat of Mrs. Goodman, has been the property of the ancestors of that lady for over 300 years, and was rebuilt in the latter end of the 17th century. Ford Hall, the seat of William Henry Greaves-Bagshawe esq. J.P. is delightfully situated in a well-wooded dell; portions of the house date from the end of the 15th century, and others are Elizabethan. Horwich House, the seat of Col. Edward Hall J.P. is situated on high ground overlooking the borders of Cheshire, The Ridge, a modern house, finely posted on a hill overlooking the town, is the residence of Joseph George Sington esq. and the property of James Walter Lowe esq. who resides in the adjoining and ancient hose called Ridge Hall. Bradshaw Hall, now a farm house, occupied by Mr. George Lomas, is the property of Charles Eyre Bradshaw Bowles esq. of Aston Lodge, Derby, the lineal descendant of the ancient family of Bradshaw, who held the attached state of about 300 acres from a period anterior to the reign of Edward III. as appears from various deeds in the possession of the present owner ; the house has often been erroneously represented as once the residence of John Bradshaw the regicide, who was born at Stockport in 1586, and died 11 Oct. 1659, and was descended, with the present owner, from a common ancestor, William Bradshaw of Bradshaw, who died c. 1562-3; the last of the name who lived here was Francis Bradshaw, high sheriff in 1630, who was second cousin to the regicide and died sine prole in 1635. H.M. the Queen is lady of the manor in right of the Duchy of Lancaster. The principal landowners are the Rev. W. S. Barnes- Slacke M.A. his Honor Judge W. H. G. Bagshawe Q.C., J.P. Stephen Jackson esq, of London, Henry Constantine Renshaw J. P. Hy. Kirke esq. of Demerara, Samuel Needham, Robert Hill Hyde and Charles Eyre Bradshaw Bowles esqs. The soil is dark loam; subsoil, grit and limestone. The land is chiefly used for grazing purposes, the arable growing oats. The parish contains about 13,220 acres; rateable value, £24,056; the population in 1881 was 4,170, including 8 officers and 80 inmates in the workhouse.

Parish Clerk, Peter Bramwell.

Sexton, Joseph Bramwell.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office.- Samuel James Bramwell, postmaster. Letters are received through Stockport ; arrive at 7 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. ; 7 a.m. on sundays ; dispatched at 10.15 a.m. & 7 p.m. ; 7.45 p.m. on sundays. Money orders are granted & paid from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. ; saturdays till 8 p.m: telegraph business transacted from 8 till 8 ; sundays from 8 till 10 a.m

POST OFFICE, Combs.-John Lomas, receiver. Letters arrive from Stockport at 8.30 a.m. & 6.10 p.m.; dispatched 8 a.m. & 6.10 p. m. week. days only

WALL LETTER BOXES :-Town End, cleared at 9.45 a. m. & 6 p.m. : Union Gates cleared at 10 a.m, & 6.45 p.m. ; Sparrow Pit cleared at 6. I5 p. m. ; Whitehough cleared at 5.50 p.m. ; Milton cleared at 6.30 p.m.; L. & N. W. Rly. Station 6.25 p.m. Collections are also made at Chinley & Peak Forest, which see

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH
PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
Greaves-Bagshawe William Henry esq. Ford hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, chairman
Andrew Ely esq. Albert house, Ashton-under-Lyne
Ashton Robert How esq. Loosehill hall, Castleton, Sheffield
Bennett Thomas esq. Heathfield, Birch Vale, Stockport
Carver Thomas esq. Marple
Greaves Francis Edward esq. 15 Powis square, Brighton
Greaves-Bagshawe Murray Charles Caldwell, Ford hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Hall Lieut.-Col. Edward, Horwich house, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Hibbert James esq. Fernbank, New Mills, Stockport
Hodgkinson Samuel esq Woodville, Marple, Stock port
Lister Charles esq. Agden hall, Lymm, Warrington
Mackie John esq. Watford villa, New Mills, Stockport
Moore Lieut.-Col Joseph Hall, Bamford, Sheffield
Moore William Cameron esq. Bamford, Sheffield
Renshaw Hy. Constantine esq. Bank hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Turner Lieut.-Col. Henry, The Woodlands, Offerton, Stockport
Clerk to the Magistrates, John Burton Boycott, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Special & petty sessions of the peace for the Chapel-en-le-Frith division are holden at the Town hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, a t 10.30 a.m. & at New Mills at 10.30 a.m. at each place monthly & special sessions, if necessary, for hearing cases of petty larceny, every thursday. The places in the petty sessional division are :-Aston, Bamford, Bradwell, Brough, Brownside, Bugsworth, Buxton, Castleton, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Chinley, Derwent, Edale, Fairfield, Fernilee, Hartington Upper Quarter, Hayfield, Hope, Hope Woodlands, New Mills, Peak Forest, Shatton, Thornhill, Thornsett, & Wormhill

CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH UNION.
Board day, monday fortnightly.

The places in the union are :-Aston, Bamford, Brough & Shatton, Buxton, Castleton, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Chinley, Bugsworth & Brownside, Derwent, Edale, Fairfield, Fernilee, Hartington Upper Quarter, Hayfield, Hope, Hope Woodlands, Peak Forest, Thornhill and Wormhill : the population in 1881 was 19,484; rateable value in 1890, £149,575
Clerk to Guardians & Assessment Committee, John Burton Boycott
Relieving Officer for the whole Union, James Whitehead, Chapel-en-le- Frith
Vaccination Officers:-Chapel-en-le-Frith sub-district, James Whitehead, Chapel-en-le-Frith ; Buxton sub-district, Chas. Slater, Fairfield
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators :-- Chapel-en-le-Frith district, William Stirling Anderson M.D. Chapel-en-le-Frith ; Castleton district Ernest H. Ellison L.R.C. P. Lond. Castleton ; Buxton district, Arthur Shipton, The Square, Buxton
Superintendent Registrar, John Burton Boycott, solicitor, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Registrar of Marriages, James Whitehead , Chapel-en-le-Frith ; deputy, J. G. Bramwell, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Chapel-en-le-Frith sub-district, James Whitehead, Chapel-en-le-Frith ; Buxton sub-district, John Lomas, Fairfield, Buxton
The Workhouse, erected in 1840, is a stone building, at the west end of the town & will hold 100 inmates; James Whitehead, master; Theobald Edward Jones L.R.C. P. Edin. medical officer; Mrs. Emma Whitehead, matron

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Meets at the Workhouse on a monday following board day.

Clerk, John Burton Boycott, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Medical Officer of Health, Charles John Bennett, Buxton
Inspector of Nuisances, John Nall, Whalley Bridge

SCHOOL ATTENDANCE COMMITTEE,
Meets at the Workhouse on a monday following board day.

Clerk, John Burton Boycott, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Attendance Officer, John G. Bramwell, Chapel-en-le-Frith

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:-
County Court, His Honor William Barber Q.C. judge; Richard Brown, Buxton, registrar & high bailiff. The court, which is holden either at Chapel-en-le-Frith, Buxton or New Mills, is appointed to be held on one friday in each alternate month, at 11 a. m. The court comprises within its jurisdiction the following places, viz.: Aston, Bamford, Beard, Brownside, Brough & Shatton, Bugsworth, Buxton, Bowden Edge, Bradshaw Edge, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Combs Edge, Castleton, Chinley, Derwent, Disley, Edale, Fairfield, Fernilee, Hartington Upper Quarter, Hope, Hope Woodlands, Kettleshume, Ollerset, Peak Forest, Taxal, Thornhill, Thornsett, Whaley, Whittle & Wormhill
Certified Bailiffs Appointed under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Walter Hobson, Chapel-en-le-Frith ; Thomas William Brittain & Sons, Buxton & Matlock Bridge; D. W. Varley, Buxton & C. P. Plant, Buxton
Christian Institute, S. J. Bramwell, sec
County Police Station, John Hallam, supt.; 2 inspectors, 3 sergeants & 24 constables
Inland Revenue Office, Joseph St. Leger, resident officer
Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire regt.) end Volunteer Battalion (B Co.), Major J. Lingard, commandant; J. H. Jackson & J. S. Simpson, lieuts.; Sergt. T. W. Flanagan, drill instructor

PUBLIC OFFICERS:-
Assistant Overseer, Peter Bramwell
Collector of Poors' Rates, Alexander Young
Collector of Assessed Taxes, J. Goddard
Stamp Distributor, Samuel James Bramwell, Post office
Superintendent of Police, John Hallam
Town Crier, John Marsden

SCHOOLS:-
National (boys), erected in 1830, for 230 boys, average attendance 92, at a cost of more than £1,100, chiefly defrayed by the late Rev. William Bagshaw, of Banner Cross, Sheffield, for some time vicar of Chapel-en-le-Frith ; the school has an endowment of about £20 a year from Dr. Slack's Town Hall rents charity; Alexander Young, master; (girls), erected in 1887 for 160 girls ; average attendance, 80; Miss Lydia A. Butterworth, mistress; (infants) to hold 120; average attendance, 90; Mrs. Jane Smith, mistress
Wesleyan (mixed), erected in 1853 & enlarged in 1887, for 200 children; average attendance, 75; Jas. Sykes, mast
Endowed, Bowden Head, erected in 1867, for 47 children; average attendance, 30; with an endowment of about £10 yearly from Dr. Slack's charity; Mrs. Barber, mistress

RAILWAY STATIONS:-
Midland, David Daw, station master
London & North Western, Thomas Cook, station master
Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Tramway & Canal Co

CARRIER TO STOCKPORT.-Richard Barrett, fri

COCKYARD is a small hamlet half a mile on the road to Manchester. TUNSTEAD MILTON is 1¼ miles on the same road. CHAPEL MILTON is partly in this parish and partly in Chinley, about three quarters of a mile on the Glossop road, and SPARROW PIT is partly in this parish and partly in Peak Forest and about 2 miles from the town.

Dove Holes, 2 miles south, and 3 north from Buxton, is situated in three parishes, viz :-Chapel-en-le-Frith, Peak Forest and Wormhill, but is principally in the former parish, of which it forms a hamlet. There is a station here on the London and North Western railway. The Peak Forest tramway, worked by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Co. terminates here, and is used for the conveyance of mineral produce and goods to Bugsworth. The hamlet is supplied with water from works situated at Combs Moss, the property of the Dove Holes Water Co. Limited. St. Paul's church, erected in 1879, is a plain building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell; it is a chapel of ease and is served by the clergy of Chapel-en-le-Frith. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel and several lime works.

POST OFFICE.-William Cottrill, receiver. Letters arrive direct from Stockport by rail & are delivered at 7 a.m. on week days & 9. 15 a.m. on sundays. Letters are dispatched at 10.30 a.m. & 7.30 p.m. on week days, box closing at 7.15 ; sundays at 8 p.m. box closing at 8 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Chapel-en-le-Frith & telegraph office at Peak Forest railway station

WALL Box at Peak Forest station cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days

National Church of England School (boys & girls), erected in 1883, for 176 children; average attendance, 140; John William Hick, master. A sunday school is also held

Railway Station, John James Collier, station master

Chapel-en-le-Frith.

[Names marked thus † receive their letters through Whaley Bridge.]

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Allen Rev. George Edward [Wesleyan]
Anderson William Stirling M.D. Cromwell house
Bagshawe His Honor Judge William
Henry Gunning Q.C., J.P. Ford hall
Bennet Miss, Well Close lodge
Bennet Mrs. Well close
Bennett John, Stodhart
Bennett Mrs. Stodhart
Bennett Mrs. The Old Parsonage
Bowen Herbert Blans, Ollerenshaw
Boycott John Burton, White house
Bramwell Mrs. Courses
Bramwell Peter, South view
Corkill Mrs. Highfield
DeJongh Mrs. The Hordern
Fletcher Francis, Crossings
Frith Mrs. Highfield
Goodman Mrs. Eccles house
Gratrix John M. Spire Hollins
Greaves-Bagshawe William Henry J.P. Ford hall
Greaves-Bagshawe Murray Charles Caldwell J. P. Ford hall
Gudgin John, Hyde house, Burrfield
†Hall Col. Edward J.P. Horwich house
Hall Mrs. Highfield
Heafield Mrs. Ashworth house
Heathcott Edward, Vernon cottage
Heathcott Joseph, Gisborne house
Jackson Wm. Anthony Bellott, Combs
Jones Theobald Edward
Kirk Mrs. Black brook
Knowles Joseph Hamilton, Rye flatt
Litherland William, Combs
Lowe James Walter, Ridge hall
Millward Wm. Arthur, West Horderns
Needham Samuel, The Eaves
Pollard Mrs
Renshaw Hy. Constantine J.P. Bank hall
Simpson Mrs
Sington Joseph George, The Ridge
Steele Rev. James M.A. [curate]
Taylor John, Highfield
Timms Mrs
Tindall Sidney Maguire, Highfield
Wainwright Joseph, Bowden hall
Walton William
Williamson Misses, Town end

COMMERCIAL.

Anderson William Stirling M.D., C.M. physician & surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator for Chapel-en-le-Frith district, Cromwell house
Ashton William, farmer, Whitelee
Bailey Albert, Bee Hive inn, Combs
Bailey Isaac, farmer, Clough
Bailey William, farmer, Clough
Barlow James Thos. farmer, Roeside
Barnes John, farmer, Whitehough head
Barnes Joseph, Red Cow P.H. Whitehough
†Barnes John, grocer
Barratt Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Barratt Peter, farmer, Marsh green
Barratt Samuel (Mrs.), grocer
Barratt William, The Hanging Gate P.H. Cockyard
Barrett Peter, farmer, Marsh green
Barrett Richard, carrier, Marsh green
Beard William, wheelwright
[col 3 of names]
Bennett, Boycott & Orme, solicitors & commissioners to administer oaths
Bennett James, blacksmith, Crossings
Bennett John, solicitor, Stodhart
Blood Wm. horse slaughterer, Sandy hd
†Bottoms Mary (Mrs.), Pack Horse P.H. Tunstead, Milton
Boycott John Burton (firm, Bennett, Boycott & Orme), solicitor, commissioner for oaths, clerk to the justices of the Chapel-en-le-Frith division & clerk to the guardians & assessment committee, rural sanitary authority, & to the school board of Chinley, Bugsworth & Brownside & superintendent registrar ; & at Castleton
Bramwell J. & S. letterpress & lithographic printers, engravers, stationrs. booksellers & news agents, Post office
Bramwell William & Sons, saddlers
Bramwell James, slater
Bramwell John Goodwin, house, land & estate & insurance agent & deputy registrar of marriages & school attendance officer
Bramwell Noah, Greyhound P.H. Market place
Bramwell Peter, assistant overseer
Bramwell Peter, farmer, Laneside
Bramwell Peter, slater, Church Brow
Bramwell Peter, tailor & draper
Bramwell Samuel James, postmaster & stamp distributor, Post office
Bramwell Walter, grocer & flour dealer
†Brassington Joseph, farmer, The Cedars
Capper John, shopkeeper
Carrington William, grocer, Market pl
Chapel-en-le-Frith Institute Co. Limited (John Jagger, hon. sec)
Chapel-en-le-Frith Coffee Tavern (Wm. Boswell, manager)
Chapel-en-le-Frith Water Co. (Peter Bramwell, sec)
Chapman Martin, grocer, Crossings
Christian Institute (S. J. Bramwell, sec)
Collier Aaron, grocer & draper & insurance agent, Market place
Conservative Association (J. Jagger, sec)
Cook John Webster, chemist & druggist, seedsman, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants
Cooper Tom, farmer, Blackbrook
County Court (His Honor William Barber Q.C. judge)
Darwent Thomas, farmer, Malcalf
†Dixon Edwin, farmer, Tunstead, Milton
Dixon M. & M. (Misses), milliners
†Dixon Samuel, Rose & Crown P.H. Tunstead Milton
Dytor Fredk. Hair dresser, Market pl
Ellis Samuel, hairdresser
Etchills Samuel, farmer, Spire Hollins
Ferguson Chas. Callas Weston, draper
†Fidler Wm. saddler & harness maker
Ford Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Ford George, painter
Ford Joseph, shopkeeper
Ford Robert, clogger, Queen street
Fox Adam, frmr. & landwllr. Martinside
Fox Josiah, farmer, Combs
Frith George, farmer, Combs
†Frith George, jun, farmer, Haylee
Frith Thomas, corn miller (steam)
Frith William, shopkeeper
Fuzzard Benj. John, grocer, Town end
Garlick John, boot & shoe maker
Gas Works (James Thomason, mangr)
Gee Henry, boot & shoe maker
Goddard James, collector of assessed taxes, Town end
Goddard James & Alfred (brothers), tailors & drapers
Goodwin William, farmer, White hills
Gray James Thos. chemist & druggist
Green Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Green Thomas, New inn, & farmer & slater, Market place
Gregory Stephen, farmer, Hall hill
Hadfield George, farmer, Ford
Hadfield George, joiner, Chapel Milton
Hague John, boot & shoe maker, Back la
Ball George, farmer, Slack hall
Hall John, leather seller, Town end
Hallam John, blacksmith. Sparrow pit
Hallam John, superintendent of police
Hallam Joseph, shoeing smith, Town end
Hartle Edwin, farmer, Allstonelee
Hartle Joseph, farmer, Blackbrook
Hawksworth John Macavelly, smith
Heathcote George, farmer, Allstonelee
†Hegginbottom H. & A. W. barytes manufacturers, Cadster
Hibbert Mary Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Crossings
Hobson George, butcher
Hobson Walter, auctioneer, grocer, & agent for Phoenix Fire Insurance Co
Hobson William, tailor, Town end
†Hodgson Hodgson, frmr. Ollerenshaw fm
Hollinshead George, farmer & landowner, Whitehough
Holmes & son, outfitters
Howe Samuel, farmer, Sparrow pit
Hudson William, farmer, Portobello
Hurst T. W. & Co, grocers, Market pl. & Town end
Hyde Robert, Hill & Sons, butchers & cheese factors
Hyde Joseph, butcher, Market place
Hydes Samuel, Pack Horse P.H
Ibbotson George, dyer, Town end
Imbery Charles, jeweller, Crossings
Jones Theobald Edward L.R.C.P. Edin. physician & surgeon, & medical officer to the workhouse
Joule Joel, farmer, Marsh hall
Joule Joseph, draper
Joule Joseph, farmer, Combs
Joule Joseph, farmer, Thorneylee
Joule William, beer retailer
Joule William, cabinet maker
Jowle Ann (Mrs.), news agent, Market pl
Jowle Robert, Waggon & Horses P.H
Kinder Charles, farmer, Malcalf
Kirk & Horsfield, iron manufacturers, engineers &c. Town end
Kirk John Finney, farmer, Hollin Knowl
Lees Thomas, buckram, sheet wadding & cotton wool manufacturer, Smithfield works, Town end
Liberal Association (Wm. Wild, sec)
Lingard Thomas, Swan inn
Lomas Elizh. (Mrs.), farmer, Stodhart
Lomas George, farmer, Bradshaw hall
Lomas George, farmer, Digleech
Lomas George, farmer, Hurst
Lomas Hannah (Mrs.), Jolly Carter P. H. Sandy Way head
†Lomas Isaac, confectioner
Lomas Jacob, farmer, Cockyard
Lomas James, farmer, Combs
Lomas James, farmer, Lydgate
Lomas James, provision dealer & carter
Lomas John, farmer, Bradshaw hall
Lomas John, post office, Combs
Lomas John, farmer, Courses
Lomas John, picture framer
Lomas Jn. Spread Eagle P.H. Chapel Miltn
Lomas Joseph, farmer, Thorneylee
†Lomas Joseph, farmer, Tunstead
Lomas Martha (Mrs.), farmer, New field
†Lomas Walter, farmer, Wilkin hill
Lomas William, farmer, Gautriside
†Lomas William, farmer, Withen Lache
Long Parmenas, farmer, Bowden head
Longson Matthew & Son, brass & iron founders, Market Place foundry
Lowe John, joiner & builder
McDougall John, King's Arms hotel
Manchester & County Bank Lim. (branch) (open 10 till 3; saturdays, 10 till 1) (John Taylor, manager), Market pI.; draw on Union Bank of London Lim. London E C
Manchester, Sheffield &, Lincolnshire Railway Co. (canal department) (George Taylor, manager)
Machington Henry, farmer & coal dealer, Town end
Marsden John, umbrella maker & town crier, Crossings
†Marshall Jacob, baker
Mayer Abraham, shopkeeper, Market pi
Mellor Albert, plasterer & paint.er
Mellor Edmund, painter & plasterer, Crossings
Mellor Francis, joiner, Sparrow pit
Mellor James & John (Brothers), wheelwrights, Sparrow pit
Mellor William Albert, painter & plasterer, Crossings
Middleton John, farmer, Rushop
Middleton Robert Norman, insurance agent, Town end
Milton Soap Co. soap mnfrs. Chapel Milton
†Morten Adam, farmer
Morten Henry, farmer, Haylee
Morten Joel, farmer, Haylee
Morton Edward, farmer, Maglow
Muir William, boot maker
Naiden Francis , farmer, Bowden head
Naiden Thomas, Derby hotel
Naylor William, pork butcher
Needham John, wheelwright
Ollerenshaw Sarah (Mrs.), frmr. Pygrea ve
Oxley Sarah (Mrs.), draper, Town end
Penny Bank (open saturdays 6 to 7 p. m.) (John Taylor, sec.), Town hall
†Potter James, farmer, Wood side
Potter Jonathan, farmer, Courses
Pratt John, The Thorn P. H
Royle John, farmer, Combs
Royle William, grocer
Royle William, farmer, Bridge field
St. Leger Joseph, inland revenue officer
Savings Bank (John Taylor, actuary), (open every thursday from 10 till 1), Town hall
Schofield Bold, tinner & brazier, Market pl
Shepley Eliza (Miss), grocer & corn dealer, Town end
Shepley George, painter, Market place
Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regt.) 2nd Volunteer Battalion (B company) (Capt. J. Lingard (major), commandant ; Lieuts. J. H. Jackson & J. S. Simpson; Sergt. lnstr. T. W. Flanagan)
Shirt Jabez, farmer, Slack hall
Sidebotham Joseph, watch maker & jeweller, Town end
Sidebottom George, shoe maker
Simpson John S. brewer, Park brewery
Simpson Joseph, farmer, Malcalf
Slack Robert Frederick, fruiterer
Smith John & Son, ironmongers, Market st
Smith John, ironmonger & insurance agent, Town end
Smith Jonathan, farmer, Slack hall
Swindells John Thomas, farmer, Whitehough head
Swindells Thomas, Oddfellows' Arms P.H. & farmer, Whitehough
Taylor Elizabeth (Mrs.), Shoulder of Mutton P.H
Taylor John, Royal Oak hotel
Thomason Jas. ironmonger, Town end
Thornhill Joseph, Bull's Head P.H
Turner Elizabeth Heathcote (Miss), Roebuck P.H
Vernon William, farmer, Sparrow pit
Walker Edwin, teacher of music
Walker William, Grapes inn, Burrfield
Walton Martha (Mrs.), Old Pack Horse P.H. Town end
Walton John, Dog inn, & grocer
Walton William, agent for Liverpool & London & Globe Insurance Co. Markt. st
Walton Wm. woollen draper & hosier
Walton Wm. jun. watch ma. & jeweller
†Ward James, farmer, Tunstead
Ward William, plumber & glazier
Warhurst Thomas Joule, color manufacturer, Clough mills
Watson John, Hat & Feathers P.H
Whitehead Jas. registrar of marriages, births & deaths for Chapel-en-le-Frith district, & relieving & vaccination officer for the Chapel-en- le-Frith district & master of workhouse
Willcock John & Co. coal & salt merchants, furniture removers & farmers
†Wild William, stationer
Wilde Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Allstonelee
†Williamson Joseph, farmer & wheelwgt
Woodcock Joshua, boot maker
Wright Jsph. Taylor, drapr. Market place
Yates Thomas, farmer, Combs
Young Alex. collector to the guardians

Dove Holes.

Bibbington Samuel, lime burner
Cottrill William, grocer, & post office
Dove Holes Industrial Co-operative Society Lim. (Wm. Warhurst, managr)
Dove Holes Water Co. Limited (J. W. Hick, sec)
Hadfield John, tailor
Heathcott Ed. & Sons, lime burner
Hill Jasper, farmer, Sittinglow
Jackson Edward, Wheat Sheaf P.H
Kyte George, Queen's hotel
Lomas Henry, shoe maker
Lomas Jas. farmer & landowner, Cowlow
Longden George, beer retailer
Marchington John, farmer, Sittinglow
Marchington Samuel, farmer, Allsteads
Pickford John, smith
Shildon Alfred, Railway inn
Taylor Samuel, lime burner
Vernon Joseph, butcher
Wilson George, grocer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Chapel-en-le-Frith and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills