Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Bolsover, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.277-280
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
BOLSOVER is an extensive village, township and parish, with a station on the Mansfield, Bolsover and Chesterfield branch of the Midland railway, opened in 1890 and forming a direct route from Mansfield to Chesterfield, 6 miles east from Chesterfield, 8 north-west from Mansfield and 4 west from Langwith, in the North Eastern division of the county, Chesterfield petty sessional division, union and county court district, hundred of Scarsdale, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The village is lighted with gas by a limited company. This place in 1880 gave the title of baroness to Augusta Mary, wife of the late Lieut.-Gen. Arthur Cavendish-Bentinck. The church of St. Mary, a building of stone, consists of chancel, nave, south porch, aisles and a western tower with low broach spire, containing 6 bells, re-cast in 1878 ; the early Norman edifice, erected about 1020, was partly re-built about 1200 : the piers of the chancel arch and a doorway and window in the south chancel wall are the principal remnants of the old Norman building : over the small south chancel door is a representation of the "Crucifixion," probably of the same date : the tower was built during the Early English period: the east window is Decorated and filled with stained glass as a memorial to several members of the Charlesworth family; the whole of the north aisle and porch are also in this style and in the north aisle are two Perpendicular windows; on the south side of the chancel is a large slab roughly incised with the figures of a man and woman with five children kneeling below them, and a defaced inscription to William Woodhouse, 1310 : in the south aisle is 3 recess, inclosing a stone slab, discovered in 1704 outside the north door, placed face downwards and used as a doorstep; it is rudely carved in high relief, with a representation of the "Adoration of the Magi," once richly coloured and probably originally stood above the altar in the Norman church of Wiliam Peveril : at the east end of this aisle is another recess, and a door opening into the Cavendish chapel, which is filled with monuments to members of this family, fourteen of whom are here buried; these memorials include one to Sir Charles Cavendish kt. of Welbeck Abbey, erected by his wife Catherine, Baroness Ogle, in 1617, with an epitaph by Ben Jonson, and another of larger size in the Italian style, erected in 1691 by Henrietta (Cavendish-Holles) Countess of Oxford, to her grandfather, Henry Cavendish, 2nd Duke of Newcastle, ob. 1691, and his daughters : there is an ancient piscina and modern sedilia : the font is remarkable for its admixtures of styles : the roofs were lowered and various alterations made in Queen Anne's reign ; in 1834 other changes took place, but the church was fully restored in 1877, under the direction of Mr. William Mitchell Withers, architect, when the galleries were removed, the interior reseated, an organ chamber erected and a north aisle added ; extensive improvements were made in 1887, a rood screen of old carved oak was erected and the reredos extended across the chancel : there are 850 sittings. The register dates from the year 1604. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £120, including 56 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Portland, and held since 1867 by the Rev. Thomas Charles Hills, of St. Bees. The Congregational chapel, erected 1662, will seat 250 persons : the Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1865, has 250 sittings; and there is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1865, with 300 sittings. Mrs. Isabella Smithson, in the year 1765, left the sum of £2,955, the interest or which, amounting to £99 yearly, is applied in sums of from 10s. to 60s. per year to aged poor who are not in receipt of parochial relief : the Rev. F. Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, left a sum of money in 1818, the interest of which, amounting to £6 13s. is expended yearly in flannel for the poor, which is distributed at the discretion of the vicar : there are other, smaller charities, amounting to about £4 10s. which sum is distributed in bread. Bolsover Castle, built in the 11th century, by William Peveril, natural son of the Conqueror, was restored in 1613 by Elizabeth Countess of Shrewsbury and Sir Charles Cavendish kt. and in the reign of Charles II ; William (Cavendish) Marquess of Newcastle erected a range of buildings, detached from the castle, which is now mostly in ruins : but the more ancient portion is still in perfect repair and stands on a high ridge of limestone rock, surrounded by an embankment, and at some former time by a fortified enceinte, several of the watch-towers being still extant : the castle is now unoccupied. The Duke of Portland, who is lord of the manor, the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and Earl Bathurst are the principal landowners. The Bolsover Colliery Co. Limited have a colliery here. The soil is light: subsoil, limestone and clay. There are limestone quarries. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The acreage of the township is 4,799 ; of the parish, 5,519 ; rateable value, £10,068; the population in 1871, township, 1,721; parish, 1,819; in 1881 township, 2,281; parish, 2,375.

WHALEY THORNS is a large mining hamlet, 8 miles east. St. Luke's church at Whaley Thorns, erected in 1878, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western turret containing one bell ; and has 320 sittings. Here is a Hall, built in 1889, and used for parochial purposes.

SHUTTLEWOOD hamlet is 2 miles north-west : OXCROFT hamlet, 2 north : STANFREE is a hamlet, 2¼ north, with a Mission church, built in 1884, and seating 150 persons ; John Mettam, lay reader : WHALEY hamlet, 2½ east, had anciently a chapel, and a record still exists of a petition from the Abbot of Darley to unite Whaley to the vicarage of the parish church; there is now a Mission room here : WOODHOUSE hamlet is half a mile north. Glapwell is a township, 3½ miles south of Bolsover, 7 south-east of Chesterfield and 9 north-west of Mansfield, in the union and county court district of Mansfield. Glapwell Hall is the seat of the Rev. Brabazon Hallowes M.A. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 757 acres; rateable value, £l,504 ; the population in 1881 was 94. Letters through Chesterfield. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Bolsover.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Joseph Revill, receiver. Letters arrive by mail cart from Chesterfield at 7-4Sa.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. week days only. Telegraph from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ; sundays, 8 to 10 a.m. only. Parcels dispatched at 5.30 p.m

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Whaley Thorns. -Horatio Ault, sub-postmaster. Letters through Mansfield, via Langwith, arrive at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 4 & 7 p.m. week days only

SCHOOLS :- A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1881, J. R. Johnson, Unston, Sheffield, clerk to the board ; G. Cutts, attendance officer
Board, Whaley Thorns, built in 1881 at a cost of £3,000, for 350 children; average attendance, 300 ; William T. Harrison, master; Mrs. E. Stead, infants' mistress
National, erected in 1868 & enlarged in 1886, for 360 children: average attendance, 230 ; John Hunter, master ; Mrs. Annie Newton, infants' mistress

RAILWAY STATION, James Fisher, station master

CHESTERFIELD-George Hunt, tues. & sat. ; Charles Hill, mon. fri. & sat. ; Edgar Cross, sat. ; John Twidle, sat
MANSFIELD-George Hunt, Edgar Cross & Charles Hill, thurs. ; Thomas King, thurs. & sat


Atkins Rev. Alan Garway B.A. [curate]
Bennetts Rev. James [Congregational]
Cole Thomas Willoughby M.B
Cousin William, Dane Bank house
Dean Mrs
Hills Rev. Thomas Charles, Vicarage
Marples Miss
Mettam John, Stanfree
Mitchell Joseph H
Parkes Rev. Albert William B.A.[curate]
Rayner Miss
Smith William, Castle villa
Stilwell Mrs
Sykes Abel Charlesworth
Sykes George


Adin John, farmer, Stanfree
Adsetts Frederick, correspondent to the "Sheffield Daily Telegraph" & agent to the Queen Insurance Co
Adsetts Hannah (Mrs.), Angel P.H. & frmr
Alletson Charles, Blue Bell P.H
Antcliff Charles, grocer
Armstrong James, shopkeeper
Armstrong William, painter
Atkinson Henry, farmer
Bagshaw Thomas, farmer & miller (wind & steam)
Bathurst Firestone & Firebrick Co (Samuel Moore, manager)
Biggin Joseph, farmer, Woodhouse
Blanksby Herbert, plumber
Bolsover Colliery Co. Limo (Jno Plowright Hufton, colliery mangr. & sec)
Bolsover Gas Light & Coke Co. Limited (John Hunter, sec)
Bond Adam, saddler & seedsmn. Market pl
Bond Frederick, seed merchant
Bower David, farmer, Woodside
Bower Thomas White, farmer, Oxcroft
Brooks Humphrey, col. of Queen's taxes
Carline Joseph, hair dresser
Carter Charlotte (Mrs.), Cross Keys P.H
Chapman Frederick, higgler
Charlesworth Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Charlesworth E. & A. (Misses),dress mas
Charlesworth George, mason
Charlesworth George, Black Bull P.H
Chawner Robert, farmer, Shuttlewood
Cherry Walter, baker
Coakill William, farmer
Cole Thomas Willoughby M. B. surgeon
Coupe Emma (Mrs.), shopkpr. Cotton st
Cousin Edwin, farmer
Cousin Frdk. grocr. tobacconist & beer dlr
Cricket Club (Rev. A. W. Parkes B.A. honn. sec)
Crosby John, carpenter & wheelwright
Cross Henry, higgler
Cuthbert Thomas Wilkinson, coal dlr
Cuttell & Hughes, builders, High street
Cuttell William, mason, High street
Cutts Godfrey, shoe maker & school attendance officer
Darnley Charles, shoe maker
Dickinson John, farmer, Shuttlewood
Dibboe Matthew, farmer, Woodhouse
Drabble George, basket maker
Eadson John, wood steward to Earl Bathurst, Whaley
Football Club (Rev. A. W. Parkes B.A. hon. sec)
Frost Henry, shopkeeper
Furniss Whitehead, tailor &c
Godfrey Joseph, chimney sweeper
Gregory & Calow, drapers, Hill top
Gregory William, butcher, Cotton st
Hallam Benjamin Hughes, mason
Handby John, wheelwright
Hardwick Charles, confectioner
Haynes George, carpenter
Haywood Edward, beer retailer
Haywood Joseph, linen draper
Hill Charles, carrier, High street
Hill Henry, baker
Hinchcliff Sarah (Mrs), statnr. High st
Hinde Christr. cabinet ma. & registrar of births &deaths for Bolsover sub-dist
Hinde Edward, baker & grocer
Hughes John, chimney sweeper
Hunt George, carrier, High street
Hunt John William, farmer, Whaley
Hunt Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Whaley
Hunter John, organist at St. Mary's ; music teacher; sec. to Gas Co. & agent for the Imperial Fire Insur. Co
Hunter Mary Lilian (Miss), ladies' school, & teacher of music
Hurst William Henry, hair dresser
Jackson James, farmer
Jenkinson Hy. farmer & carrier, Stanfree
Johnson John, blacksmith & machinist
Johnson John, farmer, Oxcroft
Kemp Frances Mary (Mrs.), school
Langley Richard, builder, contractor & limestone merchant
Leverett Harriet (Mrs.), toy & smallware dealer
Limb Ann (Mrs.), Swan hotel & bait stables
Marsh Henry, coal dealer
Martin Samuel, butcher
Maxfield Thomas, grocer & provision & tea dealer & news agent, Cotton st
Millott Samuel, blacksmith
Moore Samuel, beer retailer
Naylor Thomas, outfitter
Newton Daniel, farmer, Shuttlewood
Newton Joseph, farmer, Coppice
Newton William, hair dresser
Nicholson Wm. Jn. farmer, Woodhouse
Norman William, shopkeeper, Hill top
Parkin Thomas, chemist & druggist
Parsons Peter, farmer
Pearce John, farmer
Pearson Thomas, plumber & gas fitter
Pickering Wade Westren, grocer & provision dealer & patent medicine vendor, Hockley
Powell Thomas, Nag's Head P.H
Presley Charles, sheep dipper
Revill George, boot dealer
Reading Room & Institute (Rev. A. W. Parkes B.A. hon. sec)
Revill Joseph, draper, & post office
Revill Reuben, Anchor P.H
Rhodes Herbert Thos. com. traveller
Ross James, market gardener
Rynott George, pump repairer
Sanders Richard, farmer
Shacklock Abraham, butcher
Shacklock Joshua, coal dealer & farmer
Shacklock Joshua, farmer, Stanfree
Shepherd William, farmer
Somercotes Land Society (Rev. T. C. Hills, hon. sec)
Spencer Edmund, Cavendish hotel
Street John, haberdasher
Taylor William, farmer, Stanfree
Thompson Richard Henry, butcher
Tinsley Fredk. & Hy. market gardeners
Tinsley George, market gardener
Tinsley George Thomas, beer retailer
Watkins George, shopkeeper
West Henry Millard, draper
Wild William, shoe maker
Woodhead Solomon, greengrocer
Yorkshire Penny Bank (branch) (Rev. T. C. Hills, actuary)


Hallowes Rev. Brabazon M.A. Glapwel hall
Hallowes Rev. Brabazon Chambre M.A. [curate of Ault Hucknall], Glapwll. hall
Bausor Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Fretwell George, farmer
Hall Eliza (Mrs.), Young Vanish P.H
Jennings William, blacksmith
Potter Frank, farmer
Wardley William, farmer

Whaley Thorns.

Ryder John [lay reader]
Ault Horatio, grocer, Post office
White William, news agent

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Bolsover and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills