Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Bonsall, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 52-53
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname CLAY
mentioned in your
old Bonsall
wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
In Our Picture Gallery


Bonsall, Church, St. James



Bonsall, The Cross, with four postcards



Bonsall Cross (2)



Bonsall, Nether Greeen



Bonsall, the Water Fountain



Slaley, Bonsall, 1933-35
Three family photos



The Study, Bonsall


BONSALL is a town and parish 2 miles round by road (over Masson hill much shorter) west from Matlock Bath, 1 miles north-west from Cromford station, and 149 miles from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Wirksworth, Ashborne union, in the Matlock petty sessional district of the Wirksworth division, Wirksworth county court district, rural deanery of Wirksworth, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Local Government Act of 1858 was adopted January 20, 1863, and the town is governed by a local board of 9 members. The church of St. James, situated on an eminence, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower with spire, and containing a clock and 6 bells : the church was restored in 1863, under the direction of Ewan Christian esq. architect, when a commemorative window was placed in the north aisle, at the expense of the late rector and churchwardens: the chancel retains a piscina and there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1587, and is in good condition. The living is a rectory, [a]verage tithe rent-charge £102, net yearly value £176, including 56 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Kitchingman. There is a Baptist chapel, built in 1824, and a Free Methodist chapel ; the Temperance hall was formerly a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities amount to £11 yearly, and are expended in bread and clothing. Framework knitting is carried on to some extent ; some of the inhabitants find occupation in various paint and color works, the merino and paper mills, and in the limestone and chert quarries. This place once had a market ; the market cross, which still remains, consists of a shaft rising from a circular base of 13 steps and surmounted by a ball dated 1671, it was restored in 1870. There are several stone drinking fountains. The Via Gellia, partly in the parish, is a beautifully wooded valley nearly four miles in length from Cromford to Grange Mill, the road winding along the bottom of the valley forms a level and charming promenade and drive. The Study, the residence of Mrs. Prince, is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style. The land is chiefly held by various freeholders. The Rev. Fielding Arthur Woolfe Hamilton Gell M.A. of Winslade house, Exeter and John Gilbert Crompton esq. J.P. D.L. of Windley, are lords of the manor. The soil is sandy ; subsoil, gritstone and limestone. The chief crops are oats and wheat, and principally pasture. The area is 2,450 acres ; rateable value, £4,880 ; the population in 1881 was 1,354.

Sexton, Edward Seedhouse.

UPPER TOWN, half-a-mile north-west, and Slaley, three-quarters of a mile south-west, are hamlets.

POST & M. O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Charles Kirkland, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.10 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Cromford

WALL LETTER BOX, opposite Via Gellia Mill, cleared 6.25 p.m

URBAN SANITARY AUTHORITY
Meet at the Local Board offices, 1st wed. in the month at 7p.m. Clerk, William Jordan, Matlock Bath
Treasurer, Henry Knowles, Bonsall
Medical Officer of Health, Jn. Caithness Innes, Matlock Bath
Surveyor, Collector and Inspector of Nuisances, Joseph Bunting, Upper Town

SCHOOLS:-
Parochial, near the church, for girls & infants, for 120 children; average attendance, 94 ; Miss Julia Wardle, mistress
Endowed, founded by Robert Ferne esq. & other boys, in 1717, & enlarged by the trustees in 1859, for 110 boys, attendance 78 ; the income is derived form upwards of 90 acres of land & from school pence ; here is a master's house ; Peter Lisson Peake, master

[GENTRY AND CLERGY]

Coates John Broxup, Nether Green house
Hopwood Wilfred Francis, Beech mount, Upper town
Kitchingman Rev. John, Rectory
Longdon William Henry, Bonsall lodge
Prince Mrs. The Study
Sellors Henry George, The Cross
Twigg Miss, Sycamore house
Whitehead John William, High street
Woodisse Mrs. The Dale

COMMERCIAL

Abell Adam, farmer
Abell John, kings head P.H.
Allsopp Charles, farmer
Allsopp Thomas, farmer
Axe Alfred, builder & farmer
Baker James, blacksmith
Bartram John, framework kitter
Bates Richard, shopkeeper, Via Gellia
Boam George, farmer, High street
Bonsall Reading Room & Workman's Institute (Jos. Sheldon, treasurer)
Bothamley & Son, grocers &c.
Bowler Thomas, farmer, Slaley
Bowmer George, shopkeeper
Bridden Joseph, tailor
Brooks Alfred, farmer, Town end
Brooks Sarah (miss), infants' school, The Dale
Brown Edwin, color manufactr. & farmr
Bunting Job, farmer, The Dale
Bunting Job, framework knitter & farmer
Bunting Joseph, shopkeeper, surveyor, collector & inspector of nuisances to urban sanitary authority, Upper town
Bunting Pearcey, shopkpr. Upper town
Coates Richard, farmer & landowner, Brightgate
Doxey, Isaac, Queens Head P.H
Drabble George, saw mills, & timber merchant, Via Gellia; & at Matlock Bank and Matlock Bath. See advert
Elliott Samuel, farmer, Bonsall bank
Fearn John, farmer
Frost John, farmer, The Dale
Gratton Francis, farmer, Upper town
Gratton John, farmer, Upper town
Hartle Frederick, draper
Hawley Wm. color manufctr. & farmer
Henstock Francis, farmer, Slaley hall
Henstock Thomas, farmer, Slaley
Holmes Daniel, shopkeeper
Housley George, farmer, Upper town
Key Francis, Miners' Standard P.H.
Kinder George, farmer, Puddle hill
KIRKLAND CHARLES, builder, contractor, joiner & undertaker, Post off
Kirkland Elizh. (Miss), draper & millnr
Knowles Henry, farmer, & treasurer to the local board
Loxley Thomas, rope maker
Massey george (Mrs.), farmer
Massey Thomas, farmer
MILLWARD FRANCIS EDWIN, family grocer, tea dealer & provision merchant, dealer in drugs and patent medicines, Dale end
Oliver Ann (Mrs.), Fountain inn, & shpkpr
Oliver Josiah, Via Gellia inn
Prince John Thos. boot & shoe maker
Radford John, mason
Renshaw Edward, farmer
Renshaw James, farmer, Ember Lane
Roper, Francis, farmer
Sellors henry Geo. farmer, The Cross
Sheldon John, farmer, Slaley
SHELDON JOSEPH, house decorator, painter, grainer & sign writer &c. Park house
Siddall Edward, farmer, Upper town
Simons & Pickard, paper manufacturers
Slack William & Joseph, farmers
Smedley Adam, farmer
Smedley Henry, farmer, Low farm
Spencer, William, farmer & butcher
Swindell Samuel, farmer, Dale
Toplis Joseph, shopkeeper
Walker Randolph, grocer
Walker William, Barley Mow P.H.
Wardman William, farmer, Slaley
Wheatcroft Henry, colour & paint manufacturer, Via Gellia color works
Wheeldon William, farmer
White Charles, boot & shoe maker
Wigley Joshua, farmer, Bonsall Lees farm
Wright James, farmer & grocer, general stores, Dale house
Wright James, farmer, Upper town
Young Joseph, butcher
Young William, grocer &c.


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Bonsall and the surrounding area
Pigot's 1828-9 Directory, with Matlock, Matlock Bath and Darley includes Bonsall names
Pigot's 1831 Directory, with Matlock and Matlock Bath, includes Bonsall names
Pigot's Directory, 1842, also with Matlock and Matlock Bath, includes Bonsall names
Drabble's advert - see Stone Quarrying, Matlock
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
Our Genealogy

Elsewhere on the Web
The Bonsall History Project - the aim is to produce a comprehensive history of the village
Cascades Gardens in Bonsall