Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Brackenfield & Woolley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 53-4
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

Are surnames
mentioned in your Brackenfield wills or old documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
BRACKENFIELD & WOOLLEY constitute a township and ecclesiastical parish, formed 14 Sept. 1844 from the parish of Morton, from which it is separated by the parish of Shirland, 3 miles south-west from Morton, 2 south-by-west from Stretton station, and 4½ north-west from Alfreton, in the Mid division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Chesterfield union, petty sessional division and county court district of Alfreton, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The village is supplied with water from wells. The chapel of the Holy Trinity is a small and ancient building situated on a high hill, half a mile from either village and is now disused: the church of the same name, erected near Brackenfield Green in 1856, is an edifice in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with north chapel, nave of three bays, north aisle, porch, vestry, and a north-west tower with spire, containing 3 bells: there is a brass screen erected to the memory of Gladwin Turbutt esq, by his Ogston tenantry in 1872 : and at the west end of the church is placed the old screen of Trinity chapel, restored with four of the oak benches in 1881: there are 230 sittings. The register of the chapel dates from 1845, that of the church from 1857. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £80, in the gift of William G. Turbutt esq. and held since 1857 by the Rev. Charles Holcombe Leacroft M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Dethick. There is a Free Methodist chapel of brick, erected in 1890, at a cost of £160 and seating 150 persons. The Alfreton Waterworks Company have a large reservoir in this district, and another was constructed at Lindway in 1890, covering an area of 2 acres and capable of holding 12,000,000 gallons. Ogston Hall is the seat of William Gladwin Turbutt esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed ; subsoil, clay & loam. The chief crops are wheat, oats and pasture: the acreage is 1,516; rateable value, £2,437; the population in 1881 was 322.

Parish Clerk, Robert Hopkinson.

Letters through Alfreton, the nearest money order office. The nearest telegraph office is at Higham

National School (mixed), erected for 100 children; average attendance, 84; together with a master's house, in 1845, & enlarged in 1890 for 135 children, by subscription & grants from the National Society ; Charles Gatehouse, master

Leacroft Rev, Charles Holcombe M.A. Vicarage
Turbutt Wm, Gladwin J.P. Ogston hall

Barker George, farmer, Woolley
Barker William, farmer
Beresford Joel, blacksmith, Woolley
Boot Henry, farmer
Breedon John, farmer, Roadnook
Burton Abraham, shopkeeper & farmer
Colledge Thomas, farmer
Draycott John, farmer, Woolley
Fox Joseph, farmer
Grocott James, farmer
Harvey Eliza (Mrs.), farmer
Haslam James, farmer, & farm bailiff to R. C. Hubbersty esq. & William de Burgh Jessop esq. J.P. Woolley
Hobson William, farmer
Hopkinson Henry, farmer, Woolley
Hopkinson Robert, farmer
Limb George, farmer
Limb John, farmer, Church farm
Limb John, jun. farmer
Limb Thomas, farmer
Marriott William, farmer, Woolley
Marshall George, farmer & assistant overseer & collector of rates
Millward Henry, farmer
Richardson Walter, farmer
Riggott John, farmer, Woolley
Saunders Samuel, farmer
Shaw Charles, farmer
Shemwell Herbert, farmer, Woolley
Slater Samson, farmer
Spencer John, farmer
Spencer William, farmer, Woolley
Stamford Ely, farmer
Taylor Thomas, Plough inn, & farmer, Moor house
Taylor William, farmer
Wilson Luke, farmer
Wright John, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Brackenfield & Woolley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
Our Genealogy