Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Codnor Park, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.100
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
CODNOR PARK, formerly extra-parochial, now forms part of the ecclesiastical parish of Ironville (a brook which runs under the principal street, about half-way up, dividing the township) ; it is on the Erewash valley railway and the Erewash and Cromford canals, and is 132 miles from London by rail, 4 south-east from Alfreton, 3 east from Ripley, and 8 north-east from Belper, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Basford union, Smalley petty sessional division, Alfreton County court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The canals form a junction here, and the railway, with a station at this point, is in direct communication with the works and collieries in the neighbourhood. Codnor Castle, formerly standing in a park, covering an area of 1,500 acres, appears to have been a large fortress, and a part of the walls and foundations still remain: it belonged to the Lords Grey of Codnor, and after passing through several hands, was bought, in 1712, by Sir S. Masters, and is now the property of the Butterley Company Limited, who have laid out 7 acres as a park and recreation ground; in the centre of which, on the top of a hill, is a monumental pillar of stone, 70 feet high, erected in 1854 by the workmen and friends of the Butterley Company to the memory of William Jessop esq. the founder of the works; 150 winding steps within the column lead to a gallery at the top, from which very extensive views can be obtained; some years ago it was struck by lightning and traces of the occurrence are visible down the whole of one side The Butterley Co. Limited have very extensive ironworks here for the smelting and manufacture of steels and all descriptions of iron, several blast-furnaces being constantly at work; the company are also proprietors of several collieries in this county and in Nottinghamshire and Staffordshire ; ironstone, coal and other minerals abound. A Temperance hall, Institute and baths, were erected by the company in 1866; the former building is now occupied by the Conservative Club. The greater portion of the population are employed in the ironworks and collieries. Aldercar Hall, the property of F. B. Wright esq. is the residence of Francis Hugh Adams esq. M.A. The chief landowners are the Butterley Company Limited, the Venerable Archdeacon Woolley, of East Bergholt, Suffolk and F. C. Corfield esq. M.A., J.P. of Codnor. The soil is clayey; subsoil, marl and clay. The crops are wheat and oats, but the land is chiefly in pasture. The acreage is 1,401 ; rateable value, £9,967; the population in 1881 was 1,073.

GOLDEN VALLEY is partly in this township and partly in Riddings district. There is a school church here, served by the clergy of Ironville.

Letters through Alfreton arrive at 7.30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Ironville post office, which is also the nearest place for posting letters. The box is cleared at 9.15 a.m. ; 6.20 & 7.30 p.m. ; sunday, 10 a.m

National Infant School, Golden Valley, erected in 1871, for 70 infants ; average attendance, 40 ; Miss Alice Davis, mistress

Railway Station, George Henry Ward, station master

Adams Francis Hugh M.A. Aldercar hall [letters through Langley Mill R.S.O (Notts)]
Cook Joseph

COMMERCIAL.
Adams Francis Hugh M. A. school for the sons of gentlemen from public schools for colonial & other training, Aldercar hall [letters through Langley Mill R.S.O. (Notts)]
Allsopp Geo. mngr. of monumnt. grounds
Bowler Samuel, farmer
Butterley Company's (Limited) Colliery Offices (F. C. Corfield, colliery manager; John Woolley, agent)
Butterley Company's (Limited) Iron Works (FitzHerbert Wright, managing director)
Cartledge George, grocer & provision dealer, Golden valley
Codnor Park & Ironville Conservative Club (Thomas Hill, sec)
Fell Henry, shopkeeper, Market place
Holmes James, shoe maker, Market pl
Hibbert John, head gamekeeper to FitzHerbert Wright esq
Marriott Francis & Joseph, farmers
Meakin John, horse dealer
Potter Joseph, farmer, Knowts hall
Shelton Samuel, watch ma. Market pl
Steeples John, farmer, Castle farm
Stevens James, shopkeeper, Forge row
Taylor Robert, hair dresser, Market pl
Tomlinson John & Thomas & Co. grocers & ironmongers
Wallis George, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Codnor Park and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills