Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Coton in the Elms, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.100-101
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a parish, formed 10 March, 1865, from the parish of Lullington, 6 miles south from Burton-upon-Trent, about 3 miles from Donisthorpe station on the Benton and Nuneaton branch of the Midland railway and 7½ north-by-east from Tamworth, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Mary, erected in 1846, is a building of grey sandstone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with spire, containing one small bell : there is a memorial window to Anne (Horton), d. 4 Feb. 1871, wife of the late Right Ron. Sir Robert Wilmot Horton bart. by the tenantry and parishioners of Coton as a mark of their esteem; and on the south side of the nave is another memorial window to the same lady by members of her family, presenting a likeness of herself, with a little girl, the Hon. Darea Curzon, only daughter of the late Lord Zouche, and sister of the present Lord Zouche, standing at her knee; there is a third memorial window to Emily Julia (Wilmot-Horton), d. 11 March, 1866, wife of the late Lord Zouche : in the chancel is a marble tablet, to the Rev. Theodore Echalaz, vicar of Lullington, dated 1858 : there are 246 sittings. The register dates from the year 1846; the earlier registers are at Lullington, The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £139, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Anson Horton, of Catton Hall, and held since 1872 by the Rev. James Burdekin. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Wagstaff and Clarke's bequests amount to £3 8s., £2 of which is applied to the education of 5 poor children of Coton, the remainder being distributed among the poor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Anson Horton, of Catton Hall, who is lady of the manor; Lieut.-Colonel Charles Milligan J. P. of Cauldwell hall, Nathaniel Charles Curzon esq. J. P. of Lockington, Edwin Mallaber esq. and Thomas Tibbitts. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,100 acres; rateable value, £2,694; the population in 1881 was 495.

Parish Clerk, John Brown

POST & M. O. 0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Mrs. Mary Ann Smith, receiver. Letters through Burton-upon-Trent arrive at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 4,35 p.m. on week days only. The nearest telegraph office is at Gresley railway station

National School (mixed), for 100 children; average attendance, 82 ; Frederick Cottrell, master; Mrs. Julia Cottrell, mistress

CARRIER TO & FROM BURTON-UPON-TRENT.-Mary Whetton, every thursday
Burdekin Rev. James [vicar]
Goodall Thomas

Atkins John William, wheelwright blacksmith & assistant overseer
Boss Thomas Graham, Black Horse P.H
Chadwick John, grocer
Davis William, bricklayer
Fern John, shoe maker & farmer
Fletcher Elizabeth (Mrs.), blacksmith
Hodson Henry, seedsman
Holden Thomas, beer retailer
Holmes Frederick, Shoulder of Mutton P.H. & butcher
Mallaber Edwin, farmer & landowner
Moore Charles, farmer
Redfern Elizabeth (Mrs.), Queen's Head P.H. & shopkeeper
Showell Edward, farmer
Skermer Fanny (Miss), farmer, Church flats
Smith Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Post office
White William, farmer
Whittingham John, farmer & auctionr
Wibberley John, farmer & vet. surgeon

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Coton in the Elms and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills