Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Elton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p. 203
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
ELTON is a parish, 3½ miles from Darley Dale station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, 1 mile north-west from Winster, 6 miles south from Bakewell and 6 west from Matlock, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred and county court district, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Elton was one of the chapelries of Youlgreave, given, with that church, to the abbey of Leicester, in the reign of Henry II. by Robert Colle, and the chapel is described, after the Reformation, as a building with three aisles, 3 bells, and having a right to bury and administer the sacraments, at which time the chapel wardens and others obtained leave to delve in the chapel-yard for ore, pledging themselves under a bond of £400 to apply the proceeds to the chapel : in 1805, 1808 and 1816, applications were made for briefs for its re-building, the spire having fallen in 1800 and the remainder of the structure being insecure ; the work, begun in 1812, was completed for the sum of £1,227 14s. 5½d. when the present church of All Saints, formerly dedicated to St. Margaret, was erected on the site of the ancient church ; it is a plain oblong structure, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low western tower, containing 3 bells, the 1st and 2nd dated 1603 and 1637 respectively; the 3rd, a much older bell, has the letters H.O. in ornate characters and is inscribed "Jesus be our spede : " there is a memorial window, to Mary, wife of the Rev. John F. Garratt B.A. erected by the inhabitants : the font is a facsimile of the Norman original, removed hence to Youlgreave, and was executed by the direction of Mr. Thornhill, then lord of this manor, the authorities of Youlgreave having refused to restore the ancient font : in 1879 the internal fittings, together with the floors, were renewed, a new window added, a south porch built and the chancel refloored : there are 250 sittings. In the rectory grounds are portions of the ancient structure, including an Early English capital, a fragment of a Decorated shaft and the fine base of a large cross. The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £129, including 66 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the inhabitants, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Timothy Johnson M.A. of Queens' College, Cambridge. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities amount to about £7 10s. yearly for bread and clothing. The mineral principally found here is lead, and of late years iron has been found. The trustees of the late William Pole Thornhill esq. are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Brittlebank, of Winster, and Major Michael Mcreagh-Thornhill J.P. of Stanton-in-the Peak. There is a village reading room. The soil is limestone and grit; subsoil, shale or stone beds. The land is chiefly in pasture. The acreage is 1,464 ; rateable value, £1,680; the population in 1881 was 516.

GRATTON, 1 mile north-west, is a township, in Youlgreave parish. The area is 844 acres; rateable value £749; the population in 1881 was 38.

Parish Clerk, George Smith

WALL Box cleared at 4.45 p.m. Letters from Derby through Winster, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive about 9 a.m
National School (mixed), erected in 1862 & enlarged in 1875 & in 1888 for 150 children; average attendance, 72

Cotes Thomas Henry
Johnson Rev. Timothy M.A. Rectory

Hardy George An
Alsop Robert, farmer, Gratton
Bateman John, farmer
Boam William, farmer
Bunting James, Duke of York P.H
Charlesworth James, farmer
Dale Francis H. farmer
Dale Stephen & Joseph, farmers, Gratton
Fentem Matthew, farmer, Cliff
Gilbert Henry Ernest, farmer
Grindey Isaac, farmer
Hall Hesketh, farmer
Hardy George Anthony, butcher
Heathcote George, farmer
Heathcote William, farmer
Jebbs James, farmer
Knowles Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Marsden Charles, farmer
Mountney Emily (Miss), farmer
Rolley Josiah & Son, blacksmiths & farmers
Sellors George Baynes, Nelson's Arms P.H. & slater
Smith Martha & Son, farmers & joiners
Smith George, farmer & wheelwright
Smith Thomas, farmer & carpenter
Staley Stephen, farmer
Stone Eliza (Mrs.), Red Lion P.H
Stone Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Walton George, grocer & fishmonger
Witham Charles, farmer, Dudwood
Wright John, farmer
Yates Benjamin, shoe maker

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links
More on site information about Elton and the surrounding area

Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills