Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Elvaston, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 203-4
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

Elvaston Castle, 1880

ELVASTON, bounded on the north and east by the river Derwent, is a parish, 121 miles by road from London 1 mile south from Borrowash station on the main line of the Midland railway and 5 miles south-east-by-east from Derby in the Southem division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Shardlow union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of MeIbourne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell The church of St. Bartholomew, a stone building of fine external appearance, stands close to Elvaston Castle, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, south porch, a north transept, forming a memorial chapel of the Stanhopes, and a lofty western tower with pinnacles, in the Perpendicular style, containing 4 bells, 3 of which are dated respectively, 1847, 1595 & 1564 : the church was entirely restored about 1474 : the three south clerestory windows are Perpendicular, the south aisle containing two windows of the Decorated period, to which also the font belongs: the general character of the building, however, is Early English or the 13th century : on the north side of the chancel is a tine memorial to Sir John Stanhope kt. ob. 1610 and Catherine (Trentham), his second wife, consisting of a splendid marble tomb, under a handsomely carved canopy with recumbent figures of the knight, armed, and his lady above the figures is a slab, with a long inscription, now almost illegible, the whole being surmounted by the Stanhope shield, with six quarterings, and on the lower part are the quartered arms of Stanhope, Maulovel, Longvilliers and Lexington : there is also a tomb, protected by iron railings with a semi-recumbent effigy in white marble, of Sir Michael Stanhope : against the north wall of the nave is another monument of stone to Charles, 3rd earl of Harrington G.C.H. d. 5 Sept. 1829, with his effigy in a recumbent position : the east window is a memorial to his wife, Jane (Fleming), d. 3 Feb. 1824 : against the north chancel wall is a large and fine brass to Seymour Sidney Hyde, 6th earl d. 22 Feb. 1866, before attaining his majority, with his effigy in academical costume : there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1662. The living is a discharged vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £195, gross yearly value £300, including 47 acres of glebe, with residence at Thulston, in the gift of the Earl of Harrington and held since 1874 by the Rev. Alexander Robert Goldie M.A, of Trinity College, Cambridge. The charities amount to £180 yearly, left by Piggins and Osborne, arising from land &c. at Aston-on-Trent and in Leicestershire. The Countess of Harrington's refuge for the aged poor was erected in 1862. The Earl of Harrington and Messrs. Charles Severn and John Beggs are the chief landowners. Elvaston Castle, the seat of the Earl of Harrington, is a large building in the Domestic Gothic style, standing in a well-wooded park of about 40 acres, containing a lake : at the southern entrance are gates formerly belonging to the palace at Madrid, constructed of wrought iron, with spear-headed points at the top, richly gilt. The Earl of Harrington is lord of the manor and owner or nearly the whole township. The soil is sandy loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, grass and roots. The acreage is 2,322 ; rateable value. £5,475; the population in 1881, including the hamlets of Ambaston and Thulston, was 562.

Sexton, John Slack.

POST OFFICE, Thulston.-Mrs. Catherine Wall, postmistress. Letters from Derby arrive at 5,5 a. m. ; dispatched at 8.10 p. m. The nearest money order is at Alvaston & telegraph office at Borrowash railway station

Church of England School (mixed), erected in 1852, for 80 children; average attendance, 73. The school is entirely supported by the Earl of Harrington ; Chase Bryant, master; Mrs. Mary Bryant, mistress

Ambaston (or Embaston) is a hamlet, 1 mile east from Elvaston. An avenue of trees connects the two, which, however, is not a public road. 'The Wesleyans have a chapel here

Thulston (or Thurlaston) is a hamlet a quarter of a mile south from Elvaston. Thurlstone Grange, with upwards of 3 acres of land, has undergone considerable alterations, and is now the vicarage-house, having been exchanged, in 1845, for the old vicarage and 3 acres of glebe, which stood near the castle.

Harrington Earl of D.L. Elvaston castle ; & Carlton & White's clubs, London S.W.
Chambers William, saddler
Jordan Charles, farmer
Murray Gilbert, land & estate agent, The Castle
Peach George Allen, farmer
Severn Charles, farmer
Slack George, farmer
Slack Thomas, farmer & butcher
Slack William, farmer & butcher
Woodward Amos, shopkeeper

Allsop Samuel, farmer
Eaton James, farmer
Harrison Robert, farmer
Hill Zadok, farmer
Hubbard Emma (Mrs.), farmer
Lockett John, farmer, The Grange
Smith Wm, (Mrs.), carpenter & farmer
Sparks William, clerk
Tomlinson Frederick, farmer
Williamson Thomas, farmer
Wingfield Ahab, farmer
Wingfield Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Goldie Rev. Alexander Robert M.A. [vicar], The Grange
Hellaby John, The Grove
Murray Gilbert

Brown William, greengrocer
Chambers Humphrey, farmer
Dean John, blacksmith
Eyre Francis, farmer
Fox Thomas, farmer & shopkeeper
Hellaby John, farmer, The Grove
Porter Herbt. Fallows, highway surveyor
Rice Sarah (Mrs.), Harrington Arms P.H.
Riley William, farmer
Slack John, sexton
Spencer Charles (Mrs.), farmer
Spencer Thomas, wheelwright
Sturges Drayson, shopkeeper
Thorpe William, shoe maker
Wall Catherine (Mrs.), dress maker & Post office

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Elvaston and the surrounding area

Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills