Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Hathersage, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.223-4
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


St. Michael's Church



The hillside houses


HATHERSAGE is a village, parish and township, 10 miles south-west from Sheffield, 12 east from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 16 north-west from Chesterfield & 9 north from Bakewell : the nearest railway station is at Hassop, 8 miles south, but Sheffield is more generally resorted to, in the Western division of the county, in the hundred of High Peak, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The parish is bounded on the north by the Yorkshire moors and on the west by the river Derwent, except the township of Stoney Middleton, which is detached. The village is situated in the midst of a mountainous tract on the Chapel-en-le-Frith and Sheffield road. The Derwent is here crossed by an ancient stone bridge of four arches, leading to Hassop. The Dore and Chinley railway now (1891) in course of construction, passes through this village and will have a station here; a stone viaduct is being erected to carry the line over the Derwent. The church of St. Michael; standing on a commanding eminence at the upper part of the village, is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, with north aisle or chapel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch, and an embattled tower of three stages at the west end of the nave, with a lofty octagonal spire and enriched with crocketted work at the angles and contains 6 bells, three of which are without date, the others dating from 1611 to 1659 ; there is also an interesting sanctus bell of the 15th century, inscribed with a prayer for Robert Eyre and Joan, his wife : a clock, with Cambridge chimes, was placed in 1879 by George Henry Cammell esq. J.P. of Brookfield Manor, in memory of his father : four Pointed arches on octagonal piers divide the nave from the aisles : the stone font has an octagonal basin of the Perpendicular period, and there is a carved oak cover : nearly all the windows are stained and include a memorial window to William Eyre, of Northlees, and Mary, his wife, erected by George Eyre esq. and his sisters in 1856 ; and one presented by the working people of the parish : on the north side of the chancel is an altar tomb under an elaborate stone canopy to Robert Eyre (an ancestor of the Earls of Newburgh) and his wife, Joan, with their effigies in brass, the knight being represented as bare-headed and clad in armour, with a sword by his side, his lady wearing a long robe and a double-peaked head dress ; only one of the shields now remains; at their feet is an inscription dated 1453-9, and the effigies of ten sons and four daughters ; this tomb was restored by Frances, Countess of Newburgh, in 1832, and a small brass recording that fact has been inserted : there are other monuments to members of the Eyre family, one being that of Ralph Eyre and Elizabeth, his wife, consisting of brass with inscriptions dated 1493, and now in the chancel ; other brasses are those of Robert Eyre and Elizabeth, his wife, son of the first Robert; of Sir Arthur Eyre and first wife, Margaret, with a long inscription of Robert Eyre, who died at Trinity College, Cambridge, 1656, when an undergraduate; and of Robert, eldest son of William and Katherine Eyre (1675) : in the chancel is a brass to the Rev. John Le Cornu, for 50 years vicar of the parish, who died in 1844 : in 1852 the church was to a great extent restored, at a cost of about £1,800, when some fine stained windows were contributed by private individuals : there are 450 sittings. The churchyard, profusely planted with holly, yew and a variety of fir trees and shrubs, is the reputed burying-place of Little John, the favourite companion of Robin Hood ; two upright stones, 10 feet apart, mark the spot where his remains reposed until exhumed many years ago : in the churchyard is also a fine tomb of grey marble, to Charles Cammell J.P. who died January 12th, 1879 : on the south side of the church is the wide base of an old cross, with about four feet of the shaft, now supporting a metal sundial made by Daniel Ross, of Derwent, in 1811. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1627, and of burials from 1628. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £6, net yearly value £348, including 57 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held since 1865 by the Rev. Charles Septimus Cutler B.A. late scholar of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Michael, built in 1802 and seating 200 persons : the Wesleyan chapel, a building of stone, was erected in 1800, and enlarged in 1822, at a cost of £1,000 : all the windows are stained : and there are 400 sittings. The charities include £14 from Joan Morton's (Aston) charity, the Sylvester and Aston dole of £3 3s. distributed to the poor on St. Thomas' Day Eyre's charity of about £5 for the poor, Wrights legacy of about £5 to the National schools, Ashton's benefaction of £5 for the schoolmaster, Gisborne's charity of about £7 for clothing and a benefaction of £3 to the vicar for preaching a charity sermon on St. Thomas' Day. The chief manufactures consist of needles, hackles, gills, pins, cast steel wire and millstones. Near to the town, some distance north of the church, is an earthwork named " Camp Green," supposed to be of Danish origin; and on Hathersage Moor are several rock basins and other formations, attributed to the Celts, as well as a rude sort of fortress on the summit of the hill called "The Carl's Work." The fair is on the first Friday after the nearest sunday to Old Michaelmas Day. The village is well supplied with good water from the large reservoir erected by J. S. A. Shuttleworth esq. J.P. Longshaw Lodge ; a shooting box of the Duke of Rutland G.C.R., P.C. is 3 miles north-east, and is a handsome stone mansion, surrounded by park-like grounds and moorland. Hathersage Hall, the seat of John Spencer Ashton Shuttleworth esq. D L., J.P. is a mansion of stone, built in 1496 and enlarged by the father of the present owner. Brookfield Manor, an ancient stone mansion, surrounded by a fine park, is the seat of George Henry CammeIl esq. J.P Nether Hall, situated on the banks of the Derwent, and the property of J. S. A. Shuttleworth esq. D.L., J.P. is a mansion of stone, now occupied by T. N. Longman esq. The Tower, the residence of J. B. Howell esq. is well posted on a lofty hill overlooking the valley of the Derwent. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor. The principal landowner are J. S. A. Shuttleworth esq. J.P., D.L. H. Cunliffe Shawe esq. of Sheffield, George Henry Cammell esq. J.P. the trustees of the late Joseph White Broomhead esq. and the Duke of Rutland. The soil is various; subsoil, gritstone. The area of the parish is 13,630 acres; and of Hathersage township, 3,229 acres ; rateable value £3,177 ; the population of the township in 1881 was 828.

OUTSEATS is a township in the parish of Hathersage, the area, 5,001 acres; population in 1881, 191 ; rateable value, £1,982 - Letters through Hathersage arrive at 9 a.m. Letters are collected from the inhabitants by the messenger on his return.
Parish Clerk, George Slinn.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. -Joseph Ibbotson. postmaster. Letters received at 7.20 a.m. by mail cart from Sheffield ; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. Money orders are granted & paid from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m

SCHOOLS:- National (mixed) built by subscription in 1845, for 180 children: average attendance, 112 ; Noah Roden, master ; Mrs. F. Armfield, mistress
Catholic (mixed), erected in 1861, for 80 infants; average attendance, 50; Miss Mary Wheatcroft, mistress

CONVEYANCE.-Omnibuses pass through from Castleton & from Bradwell to Sheffield, mon. tues. thurs. fri. & sat. returning same days

Assistant Overseer, William Bocking

CARRIERS TO SHEFFIELD.-John Brailsford, tues. thurs. & sat. ; John Hallam, fri

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Rutland Duke of G.C.B., P.C. Longshaw lodge; & 3 Cambridge gate N w & White's, St. Stephen's & Carlton clubs s w, London
Broomhead Mrs. Eastwood
Cammell George Henry B.A., J.P. Brookfield manor
Cocker Mrs, Belle vue
Cook John, Barnfields house
Cook Robert
Cutler Rev. Chas. Septimus B.A. Vicarage
Dobson Rev. Henry George [Catholic]
Farrell Misses, Rock house
Foster Albert Healy, Rose cottage
Howell Joseph Bennett, The Tower
Knott Miss, Booths cottage
Longman Thos. Norton, Nether hall
Shuttleworth John Spencer Ashton D.L., J.P. Hathersage hall
Taylor Joseph & Henry
Whitehead Miss

COMMERCIAL.

Armfield Joseph, grocer
Bagshaw George, Butchers' Arms hotel (commercial & posting house ; good accommodation for tourists & cyclists)
Bagshaw Thomas, farmer, Harper lees
Bagshaw Thomas Rose, farmer
Bingham William, beer retlr, & shopkpr
Brailsford John, grocer & carrier
Buttery John, blacksmith
Catholic Preparatory School for Young Gentlemen (Misses H. & A. Farrell), boarding school
Child Brothers, millstone makers
ChrIstian Fletcher, commercial traveIlr
Cocker & Sons, manufrs. of steel wire
Cook Robert, contractor (carting)
Cooper George, timber merchant, & saw mill, Padley
Cooper John (exors. of), millstone mas
Crawshaw John, farmer
Crompton & Evans' Union Bank Lim. (sub-branch) (A. J. Adams, manager); open wed. 2.30 till 4
Crossland Joseph, farmer
Darvill W. & Son, spiral spring manfrs
Darvill John, sen. manager to Cocker & Sons
Darvill William, shopkeeper
Darwent Samuel, joiner
Elliott Alexander, farmer, Moorseats & Carr head
Elliott George, farmer, Tooth hill
Ellison Ernest Henry M.A., M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. physician & surgeon
Eyre William, Millstone inn, & butcher, Booths
Farrell H. & A.(Misses), boarding school, Catholic preparatory school for young gentlemen
Grayson George, Blue Bell P.H
Hadfield Arthur, farmer, Gate house
Hall Jonathan, farmer, Callow
Hallam John, farmer, butcher, grocer & carrier
Hallam John Fdk. beer retailer & farmr
Harrison Joseph, butcher & farmer
Hathersage United Cricket Club (Wm. Ibbotson, treas. ; Fdk. Armfield, sec)
Ibbotson William, Ordnance Arms P.H
Ibbotson Joseph, cattle dealer & farmer, Post office
Littlewood Charles, farmer, Scraper low
Littlewood John, farmer, Outseats
Marrison Charles Edward, George hotel
Middleton William, plumber
Morton Henry, grocer, tea dealer, draper, corn merchant & miller (water) General Supply stores
Mottram Job, nurseryman
Ollerenshaw Joseph, farmer, North lees
Platts George, farmer, Nether hurst
Priestley Millicent (Mrs.), farmer, Overstones
Priestley Henry, farmer, Mitchell field
Sheldon James, wire gauge maker
Shuttleworth John S. A. proprietor of millstone & lead mines & quarry owner
Slack Samuel, farmer
Slack Samuel, farmer, Throstle nest
Smith Thomas, farmer, Chatsworth frm
Taylor Joseph Henry L.F.P.S. Glas. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Eyam district, Bakewell union
Taylor Herbert, Scotchman's Pack P.H
Thompson John, Fox House P.H
Thorpe Charles, farmer, Kimber court
Unwin Isaac, blacksmith
Vickers Frederick, farmer, Booths
Wainwright Harriet (Mrs.), farmer & shopkeeper
Wigget George, tailor & draper
Wilkin John, joiner & builder
Wilson Bros. wheelwrights & builders
Wilson George, farmer, Birley
Wilson James, farmer, Nether hurst


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Hathersage and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills