Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Hayfield, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.224-226
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
HAYFIELD is a township and parish, formed in 1837 from that of Glossop and consisting of the hamlets of GREAT HAMLET, PHOSIDE and KINDER, in the High Peak division of the county, Glossop county court district, hundred of High Peak, petty sessional division of Chapel-en-le-Frith, Hayfield union, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell : Hayfield is 5 miles south from Glossop station, 4 north from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 18 from Manchester, 10 from Buxton, 3 from New Mills and 11 south-east from Stockport, and is the terminus of a branch line from New Mills on the Sheffield and Midland railway : the village, built of stone, has a scattered and bleak appearance, and is about 622 feet above the sea-level, standing on the banks of the Sett, a rapid mountain stream which rises on the western slopes of the Peak. The church of St. Matthew, situated between the Kinder stream and Phoside valley, was originally erected in 1336, and rebuilt in 1818 at a cost of £2,000, and is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: there is a monument with bust, by Bacon, to the late Joseph Hague esq. of Park Hall, d 1786, and others to the Rev. John Padley, curate of Hayfield (1764), and to the Rev. George Buckley Bower B.D. rector of Great Billing, Northants, and archdeacon of Richmond, Yorks (1800) : the stained east window was erected in December, 1879, by Mrs. Bennett, of Birch House, in memory or her husband ; and there are others to the late Levi and Elijah Hall, Mrs. Hall, of Moorlands, and the late Wright Turner esq. (1881): the church affords 850 sittings, 50 being free : an additional burying ground of 1 acre was bought by a rate and consecrated in 1862 : the Rev. John Wesley visited Hayfield and preached in the church in 1755, during the incumbency of Mr. Badley. The register dates from the year 1622. The living is a perpetual curacy, gross yearly value £180, in the gift of the resident freeholder, and held since 1877 by the Rev. Ricketts Raymond Ricketts, of St. Bees : a parsonage house was erected in 1869, at a cost of £1,200, raised by subscription. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and United Methodist chapels, and Liberal and Conservative clubs. The facilities for manufacture, owing to the abundance of water, are very considerable, and two extensive calico-printing works are carried on, besides the print works at Birch Vale, a mile south : there are also two paper mills at Bank Vale, and cotton mill at Little Hayfield : formerly a good deal of twine, locally known as "bant", was made here: twice a year a shepherds' meeting is held, when the various sheep marks are agreed upon and strayed sheep exchanged : fairs for cattle are held here May 12th and October 10th. The charities amount to £23 yearly for clothing, chiefly by the gift of the late Joseph Hague esq. of Park Hall (1778): prior to 1820 the poor had it right or turfery on "Old Pits," a plot of 40 acres on Leygate Moor. Due south of Hayfield lies Chinley Tor, a steep and rugged mountain, 1,493 feet high, commanding fine views over the valley of the Goyt and the adjacent summit of Eccles Pike (1,225 feet) southwards ; to the west lie Whaley Moor (1,347 feet) and Sponds Hill (1.357 feet) ; northwards there is an extensive prospect over Disley : Poynton Park and the plains of Cheshire : this district is believed to have been at one time in Roman occupation, and some coins of the 8th century have been found on the Doctors' road, near Bowden Bridge, one part of which road was paved : previously to 1830, the flat piece of ground near the Kinder Print Works was common land, and known as "Cutlers' Green," cutlery having, it is said, been made here before its manufacture was known in Sheffield : halfway between this spot and Hayfield is the Whitworth well, famous for its curative properties. The village, from its peculiar situation, has always been liable to floods, one of which, in 1748, destroyed some lives, several water mills and part of the churchyard ; in August, 1799, the bridge was washed away, and in 1809 a number of buildings; again, on the 16th June, 1858, the torrent tore up the mill weir and carried away the backs of four houses abutting on the stream. By an ancient custom Hayfield had the privilege of electing a mayor, an office which the late John Hobson esq. filled for thirty years: Joseph Bowden esq. was elected mayor of Hayfield in 1844. Park Hall, 1 mile north of Hayfield, was formerly the abode of the late Joseph Hague, a generous benefactor to this neighbourhood: he began life by selling small articles from a basket, and subsequently went to London, where in course of time he became an opulent merchant; he died at Park Hall on the 12th March, 1786, and was buried at Glossop. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor; F. J. Sumner esq. is the principal landowner. The area of the township is 7,920 acres, and of the parish 11,309 acres; rateable value, £13,438; the population of the township of Hayfield in 1881 was 2,801, including 82 officers and inmates in the workhouse; and of the parish 4,034.

Parish Clerk, William S. Llewellynn.

POST, M, O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office.- John Pursglove, postmaster. Letters are received through Stockport at 6.25 a.m. & 3.30 p.m. ; dispatched at 8.15 a.m, & 7.30 p.m. ; on sundays arrive at 6.23 a.m. ; dispatched at 7.20 p.m

Surveyors of Highways for Hayfield.-Great Hamlet, Joel Goddard & Israel Smith Etchells; Phoside Hamlet, John Barber & Squire Hall; Kinder, John Greenwood

HAYFIELD UNION.
Board day, monday, fortnightly.

Hayfield Union comprises the following places :-Beard, Thornset, Whitle & Ollerset, Disley or Disley Stanley (Chester), Hayfield & Mellor; the population of the union in 1881 was 12,734; rateable value in 1890, £56,588
CIerk to the Guardians & Committee, Henry Barber, Spring bank, New Mills
Treasurer, Joseph Nixon Potts, Manchester & County Bank, Stockport
Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Thomas Mower, Newtown, Cheshire
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, James Edwin Anderton L.R.C.P. Edin. Spring bank, New Mills
Superintendent Registrar, Henry Barber, Spring bank, New Mills; deputy, A. Barber, New Mills
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, George Walker, New Mills; deputy, A. Grundey, New Mills
Workhouse, Low Laighton, a building of stone, built in 1840, to hold 96 inmates; John Livesley, master; medical officer, J. E. Anderton L.R.C.P. Edin. New Mills; Miss Martha Ann Livesley matron

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Meets at Workhouse, monthly, on mondays, at 1 p.m.

Clerk, Henry Barber, Spring bank, New Mills
Treasurer, Joseph Nixon Ports, Manchester & County Bank, Stockport
Medical Officer of Health, Charles John Bennett, Buxton
Inspectors of Nuisances, John Fox Gee, Hayfield; Joseph Marsland, Mellor ; Henry Curtis, Disley

SCHOOL ATTENDANCE COMMITTEE.

Clerk, Henry Barber, Spring bank, New Mills
Attendance Officer, Joseph Marsland, Mellor

SCHOOLS:-
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1881 ; John Fox Gee, clerk to the board
Board (mixed & infants), built in 1888, for 183 children; average attendance, 182; Robert Henry Fletcher, master;
Miss Eleanor Gregory, infants' mistress
National (mixed & infants), erected in 1830 & enlarged in 1879, for 290 children ; average attendance, 90; Thomas Beardwood, master; Miss Clara Bentley, infants' mistress
Wesleyan, erected in 1874, for 281 children; average attendance, 174; William Jackson, master

Railway Station, William Procter, station master

BIRCH VALE is a village, 2 miles east from New Mills, 1 mile west from Hayfield, with a station on the Sheffield and Midland railway: calico printing is carried on here very extensively, and there are also quarries producing paving sets and wall stones, besides coal pits. Here is a Free Methodist chapel.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office.- Arthur Hirst, postmaster. Letters arrive at 6.10 a.m, & 3.20 p.m. & are dispatched thereto at 8.15 a.m, & 3.45 & 7.40p.m

Railway Station, James Ryley, station master

LITTLE HAYFIELD is a hamlet three-quarters of a mile north of Hayfield, with a cotton mill, color and pigment works, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1851 ; there are sittings for 200 persons, 70 being free.

Hayfield.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Bennett John, Highgate lane
Branthwaite Robert Edward
Davidson George Scott
Gibb Mrs
Hadfield James, Swallow house
Hall Joe, South view
Leech Robert
Marshall Mrs
Ricketts Rev. Ricketts Raymond, Parsonage
Slack Albert, Oak lands
Slack Christopher, Bank vale
Wimpenny Abel Buckley, Oak villa

COMMERCIAL.

Anderson Wm. Stirling M.D., C.M. surgn
Bennett Thomas, blacksmith
Booth Joseph, clogger
Bowmer Joseph, hair dresser
Boyle Walter, builder
Bradbury Joseph, butcher
Bradbury Mary (Mrs.), greengrocer, Church street
Bradbury Thomas, general dealer
Braddock Joseph, beer retailer
Branthwaite Robert Edward, solicitor
Brocklehurst John, farmer, Shude hill
Brocklehurst Thomas, blacksmith
Brocklehurst Wright, grocer & druggist
Brown William, Bell's Head P.H
Chatterton John Thomas, draper
Conservative Club (Fdk. Woolley, sec)
Cooper John, farmer, Highgate lane
Co-operative Stores (Rt. Barber, mangr)
Davidson Geo. Scott M.A., M.B., C.M. surg
Digby Joseph, beer retailer
Downs Joseph Bennett, grocer
Eversden John William, corn merchant
Garside Luke, stationer & tobacconist
Gee John Fox, assistant overseer, tax collector & inspector of nuisances to rural sanitary authority & clerk to school board
Gee Joseph, joiner & confectioner
Goddard Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Church street
Goodwin Thomas, beer retailer
Greenwood Thomas, butcher
Hadfield Benjamin, slater & plasterer
Hadfield George, shoe maker
Hadfield James, shoe maker
Hadfield Mary Jane (Miss), dress makr
Hampson John & Samuel, wheelwrights
Handford Jane (Mrs.), grocer & draper
Harrison Frederick, beer retailer
Hayfield Coal Co. (Jn. Brocklehurst, sec)
Hayfield Gas Works (John Brocklehurst, sec)
Hayfield Printing Co. (Abel Buckley Wimpenny, manager)
Hill Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Holt Thomas, tailor & grocer
Howard Samuel, coal mer. Station yard
Hudson Ann (Mrs.), stationr. Bridge end
Hudson John, confectioner
Hurst Thomas William, grocer
Johnson Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Cote lane
Liberal Club (Samuel Barber, sec)
Lithgow John, confectnr. & tobacconist
Livesley Alfred, chemist
Lowe Hannah (Mrs.), grocer & corn dlr
Manchester & County Bank Limited (sub-branch) (Hy. Barber, manager), Church street; open wednesday & friday from 10 a.m. til 12p.m.; draw on Union Bank of London Limited, London E C
Marshall Hannah & Martha Ann (Misses), dress makers
Mason Edwin, builder & ironmonger
Mason Thos. stone dealer, Church street
Moseley John Edward, boot maker
Mosscrop, Salathiel & Alvah, drapers
Ollerenshaw Joseph, wheelwright, joiner, builder, grocer &c
Porritt Ralph, blacksmith
Porritt Wm. draper, joiner & wheelwrght
Procter William, station master
Pursglove Benjamin, greengrocer
Pursglove John, grocer & postmaster
Rangeley Ernest, boot maker
Schofield Bold, tinplate worker & draper
Shepley James, joiner & painter
Slack Jn. paper manfr. Bank Vale mills
Swindells Henry, boot maker
Taylor Ann (Mrs.), tinman & brazier
Torkington Jn. farmer & pork butcher
Trevitt Thomas, beer retailer
Turner Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Turner George, cooper
Turner Elizh, (Mrs.), fruitr.& lishmongr
Turner Robert, shopkeeper & band ma
Walker John, boot & shoe maker
Walton Joseph, Royal hotel & coal mer
Walton Josiah, grocer
Waterhouse John, jun. butcher & farmr
Waterhouse Rebecca (Mrs.), apartments
Waterhouse William, tailor
Watts James Thomas, Pack Horse inn
Webster James, George hotel
Wimpenny Abel Buckley, manager of the Hayfield Printing Co. Oak villa
Woolley Fredk. Tinker, beer retailer
Woolrich James, farmer
Little Hayfield.
Gillaird James, Marl house
Rice Joseph J.P. Park hall

COMMERCIAL.

Ashton Bros. &Co. Lim. cotton manfacturers (Joseph Turner, manager)
Bennett John & Co. pigment & color manufacturers, Primrose vale
Bowden Tom, farmer & steward to F. J. Sumner esq. Little Hayfield house
Bradbury Samuel, farmer, Hallett
Burbidge Hy. farmer, Tom Hayes farm
Charlesworth George, grocer
Elliott Elms, farmer, Knars
Etchells Israel Smith, farmer, & surveyor of highways for Hayfield, Spray house
Garrett James, farmer, Blackshaw
Goddard Joel, surveyor of highways for Hayfield
Hadfield Randal, farmr. Brown Hill frm
Hearsaum David, farmer, Bull Shaw
Higginbotlom Rowland, farmer, Barns Fold
Hill William, farmer, Brookhouse
Hudson Isaac, New inn, & joiner
Hurst James, beer retailer
Hurst James, farmer, Blackshaw
Jackson William, farmer, Soapy barn
Marriott Francis, farmer
Marriott Thomas, farmer, Brook houses
Rose Jonathan, farmer, High barn
Sandiford William, farmer
Turner Joseph, manager to Ashton Brothers & Co. West view
Waterhouse Isaac, farmer, Lane head
Wild James, grocer

Kinder.


Gold William Thomas, Stone's house
Watts James, Farlands
Welsh James, Bowden bridge
Wilson William Henry, Kinder bank

COMMERCIAL.

Barnes Mrs. George, frmr. Kinder head
Barnes Joseph, farmer, Lower house
Bennett Thomas (Mrs.), farmer, Tunclough
Bradbury Edmd. farmr. Coldwell clough
Downs James, stone dealer, Rock hall
Gee John Thomas, farmer & auctioneer, Ashes
Greenwood John, farmer, & surveyor of highways for Kinder, Bank end
Hall Joseph & Son, stone dealers
Hall Squire, stone dealer, & surveyor of highways for Hayfield, see Hall Joseph & Son
Kinder Fire Brigade (Thomas Hodgson, superintendent)
Kinder Printing Co. calico printers, Kinder works
Marriott George, cashier at Kinder Printing Co. Kinder bank
Marriott Samuel, farmer, Bowden bridge & Hill house
Marriott Samuel, farmer, Upper house
Needham John William, farmer, Booth
Pollitt Robert, farmer, South head
Robinson Henry, shopkeeper
Rowbottom Jn. Chas. Sportsman's inn
Rowbottom John Charles, stone mason
Wardle Brothers, stone dlrs. Ellerbank
Warrington Levi. stone mason, Rock hall
Whiteley George Frederick, chimney sweeper, Cuckoo nest
Wilcockson Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Kinder head

Phoside.

Barber John, farmer, & surveyor of highways for Hayfield, New house
Bradbury Thomas, farmr. Chinley moor
Braddock Joseph, beer retailer
Brocklehurst Eli Adam. frmr. Ridge top
Brocklehurst Squire, farmer
Cooper John, farmer, Highgate bead
Ford Elijah, farmer, Hill house
Ford James, farmer
Green James, farmer, Stubbs
Hadfield Benjamin, farmer & plasterer
Hadfield Eli, farmer
Hadfield Thomas, farmer, Highgate
Higginbottom Rowland, frmr. Barnesfold
Hudson James, cattle dealer & shopkpr
Hudson Joseph, farmer, Clough head
Johnson Sarah (Mrs. ), farmer, Hazelhrst
Morton John, farmer, Heys
Porritt John, farmer, Ridge Top lane
Turner John Wm. farmer, Ridge top

Birch Vale.

Bennett John, Birch Vale house
Bennett Joseph, West wood
Bennett Mrs. Birch Vale house
Bennett Thomas J P. Heathfield
Brainthwaite Robert, Netherhey
Hall Misses, Moorland house
Pearson Mrs. Hall bank
Rogers Miss, Birch hall
Turner Mrs. Spring villas
Turner Mrs. John, Spring villas
Wyatt Walter, Batley villas

COMMERCIAL.

Ashton Isaac, farmer, Coldharbour
Ashton James, farmer, Ravensleach
Barlow Ralph, shopkeeper
Baxter James, block cutter
Beard Richard, butcher
Bennett John & Sons, calico printers
Bennett Charles & Co. yarn bleachers & sizers
Bennett James, stone dealer
Bennett Thomas, calico printer, see John Bennett & Sons
Clayton James, Grouse inn
Froggatt James, farmer, Highwalls
Hibbert George Hy. farmer, Lower cliffe
Hobson Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hudson Jsph. builder & insurance agent
Hirst Arthur, grocer, Post office
Lawton Joseph, beer retailer
Livesley Samuel, farmer, Weathercotes
Marshall Jacob, farmer, Bankhead
Mellor John, joiner
Randles William Bate, shopkeeper
Robinson Hugh, Sycamore inn
Ryley James, station master
Taylor Benjamin, farmer, Higginbottm
Twemlow Charles, farmer, Higher cliffe
Wardle James, farmer, Birch hall
Williamson Joseph, stone dealer
Wyatt Dennis, draper & grocer, & cashier at Bennett John & Sons' print works


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Hayfield and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills