Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Melbourne, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.260-2
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname HATTON mentioned in your seventeenth or eighteen century wills or documents of Melbourne or nearby parishes?
If so, please
email webmistress


Melbourne Parish Church, St. Michael and St. Mary (Photo Gallery)





King's Newton Hall


MELBOURNE is a small market town, township, parish and station on the Midland railway, 8 miles south-south-east from Derby, 12 north-west from Loughborough and 6 north-north-east from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and contains also the hamlet of KING'S NEWTON : it is in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton, Repton petty sessional division, Shardlow union, Derby county court district, rural deanery of Melbourne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The town is lighted with gas by a company formed in 1853, and at present supplied with water from private wells only. The church of St. Michael is a cruciform building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, a west porch flanked by two small towers with dwarf slated spires, and a central embattled tower of two storeys, containing 8 bells, 6 of which were erected in 1882 to replace 4 old bells of the 16th century, when the tower was also restored and strengthened and a new clock erected; the remaining two bells to complete the octave were added in 1887: the west porch, erected about 1090, is one of the finest examples of the kind in this country, and has a noble doorway with a deeply recessed semicircular arch; the nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of five stilted arches on each side, enriched with chevron moulding and supported on circular pillars, with slightly ornamented caps, 4 feet in diameter and 15 feet high; above are other arcades opening on clerestory windows, of Norman work on the north and Early English work on the south side; the chancel arch and those supporting the tower are of similar character, but more richly ornamented eastward : both chancel and transepts were formerly apsidal, but the apses were removed in the 15th century ; the east end is now rectangular and has a fine square-headed Perpendicular window: at a later period the upper part of the Norman tower was removed and the present battlemented belfry substituted, perhaps in 1610: there is a large aumbry in the north transept, another and a Norman piscina in the south transept and a second piscina in the south aisle : the font, consisting of a deep hemispherical basin supported on four dwarf columns, seems to be Early English work of the reign of Henry III. : across the chancel arch is a wooden screen of the 15th century, the upper panels of which are pierced with tracery; and in the south transept is a sepulchral slab of the 13th century, with a fine floriated cross in high relief: in the south transept, beneath a recess, is the recumbent figure in stone of a knight in armour, wearing a jewelled bandeau round his coif of mail and carrying a shield with the arms of Melbourne, the date being about 1260 : against the east wall of this transept are three alabaster slabs pertaining to the Hardinge family of King's Newton, and respectively bearing incised figures and inscriptions to Henrie Hardie. ob. 7 Dec. 1613, and Elizabeth his wife, and to Sir Robert Hardinge, a Royalist leader, knighted in 1674, ob. 20 Nov. 1679, and Anne (Springell or Spigurnell), his wife, ob. 19 July, 1673: in 1842 some interesting fresco wall paintings were discovered: there are three memorial windows in the chancel to Lieut.-Colonel Edward H. Gooch, d. 18 Jan. 1867, erected by his widow; in the north transept is another memorial window, erected in memory of Joseph Henry Cantrell, a judge. d. 24 July. 1841, and there is a stained window in the south aisle: the church was restored in 1862, at a cost of £3,000, under the direction of the late Sir Gilbert Scott R.A. : there are 640 sittings. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, average tithe-rent charge £33, net yearly value £400, with 78 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1888 by the Rev. John Joseph Singleton M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, prebendary of Southwell and surrogate. There is a Swedenborgian church in Derby road, erected in 1864, in the Gothic style, and holding 200 persons. The Baptist chapel in Chapel street, erected in 1750, is of brick and has 450 sittings. The Congregational chapel in High street, is a stone building, erected in 1871,and the Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Market place, also of stone, affords 350 sittings. The cemetery, situated about a quarter of a mile from the town and 3 acres in extent, with mortuary chapels, was laid out at a cost of £2,000, and is under the control of a burial board of 9 members. The public hall in Derby road, erected in 1889, for meetings and entertainments, will hold 400 persons. The Athenæum in Potter street was erected by public subscription and opened by the late Viscount Palmerston in 1854 : the library contains 1,360 volumes. The Temperance Institute and Reading Rooms in High street are chiefly supported by William Dashwood Fane esq. J.P., M.A., F.S.A. : it is open to the public free, and art classes are held here under the regulations of the Science and Art Department at South Kensington. The principal manufactures are those of silk, thread and lace, and of boots and shoes. The charities, amounting to about £10 14s. yearly for bread and clothing, were principally left by persons named Gray and Green in the 16th century. Near the west end of the church is a large medieval barn with a Perpendicular doorway, probably built as a tithe-barn by Walter Mauclerc, bishop of Carlisle (1224-47), and now used as a wool store. There was once at Melbourne a royal castle, in which John, Duc de Bourbon, of the blood royal of France, taken prisoner at the battle of Agincourt, 25 Oct. 1415, was detained 18 years, in the custody of Nicholas Montgomery the younger : he was eventually ransomed for the sum of £30,000, but died on the day he was to have returned to France. King John stayed here on several occasions : only a small portion of the outer wall now remains. Melbourne Hall formed in ancient times part of the rectory of the Bishops of Carlisle, and afterwards belonged to the Cokes, an old Derbyshire family, from whom Earl Cowper, the present proprietor, is descended ; the house is now occupied by William Dashwood Fane esq. : here Baxter, the celebrated Nonconformist divine, commenced writing his "Saint's Rest" in the gardens, formed about 1720 by Thomas Coke of Longford, vice-chamberlain to George I. are in the Dutch style introduced by William III. and consist of groves intersecting each other, ornamented with statues and fountains ; in one part the yew trees form an alley 80 yards in length, from which the light is almost excluded : the banks of the "Great Pool," a lake of about 20 acres in extent, are beautifully wooded and overlooked by terraces which command extensive views of the neighbourhood. The manor originally belonged to the Crown, and was given in 1604 to Admiral Sir Charles Howard, 2nd Baron of Effingham and afterwards Earl of Nottingham, but subsequently it came into the possession of the Earls of Huntingdon, from whom it descended to the late Marquess of Hastings. There is a parish room in High street, provided by the vicar. A general Baptist mission hall with 14 cottages adjoining was erected in High street, in 1890 by Mr. Thomas Cook, the well-known excursion agent, who is a native of Melbourne. Lord Donington, who is lord of the manor, and Earl Cowper are principal landowners. The land is chiefly arable and grazing, and market gardening is carried on to a considerable extent. The area is 3,464 acres ; rateable value, £13,740; the population in 1871 was 2,781, and in 1881 was 3,123.

King's Newton is a hamlet and village in the parish of Melbourne, one mile north from Melbourne, and had, up to the 16th century, a chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas. The Hall, an ancient mansion, burnt down in April, 1859, was long the residence of the Hardinge family, ancestors of Viscount Hardinge. Here is a spring called "the Holywell," formerly much in repute, over which Sir Robert Hardinge kt. erected a stone arch in the year 1660. Lord Donington, who is lord of the manor, Earl Cowper and Mrs. Edward Wright Whitaker are principal landowners. The acreage is 193.

Sexton, John Bartram.

POST M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance office. -Leonard Warren, postmaster. Box closes for Derby at 11.30 a.m. & 6.40 p.m. Letters delivered at 7 a.m. & 3 p.m. ; sunday delivery at 7 a.m. ; dispatch 6.40 p.m. Letters for King's Newton through Derby. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne

WALL LETTER BOX at King's Newton cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days only

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS :-
Cemetery, Alfd. Jn. Collyer, Derby rd. clerk to the burial board
County Police Station, Derby rd. Saml. Swanwick, inspectr
Volunteer Fire Brigade, Potter sat. Thos. Whyman, captain Public Hall, Derby road

PUBLIC OFFICERS :-
Certifying Factory Surgeon & Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Melbourne district, Shardlow union, William Melville Knipe
Inland Revenue Officer, Harry Taffs, Derby road
Inspector of Nuisances for the Castle-Donington district of the Shardlow Rural Sanitary Authority, Joseph Bullock, Derby road
Inspector of Police, Samuel Swanwick, Derby road
Surveyor, Joseph Bullock, Derby road
Registrar of Birth & Deaths for Melbourne sub-district, Shardlow union, John Campion

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1876 for the United District of Melbourne & Derby Hills ; Alfred John Collyer, Derby road, clerk to the board ; Thomas Rolfe, Blanch Croft, attendance officer

SCHOOLS:-
Board, Chapel street (boys), erected in 1810 & rebuilt in 1835, for 139 children; average attendance, 115 ; John Wright, master
Board, Athenæum (girls & infants), erected in 1853, for 300 girls & 300 infants ; average attendance, 126 girls & 106 infants ; Miss Emily Large, girls' mistress ; Miss Sarah Ellen Ambler, infants' mistress
National, Penn lane, erected in 1820 for 150 boys & 150 girls; average attendance, 75 boys & 73 girls: the school is endowed by Lady Elizabeth Hastings with £25 yearly, to which Earl Cowper adds £30 ; William Alfred Whitehead, master ; Miss Laura Miriam Morley, mistress
National, Church street (infants), erected in 1884, for 100 children; average attendance, 65; Miss Hepzibah Collyer, mistress

CARRIER TO DERBY.-Thomas Nicklinson, daily, except thursdays. Passengers can also be conveyed by the vehicle starting for Derby at 9 a.m. & returning at 3 p.m

Railway Station, William Blackshaw, station master

Melbourne.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Adcock Mrs. Ashby road
Bannister Rev. Henry John [Congregational], Derby road
Bates George Lynes, Highfields
Beilby Rev. Arthur Edgar [Swedenborgian], South street
Briggs William J.P. Bleak house
Burton William Edward, Huntingdon house, Penn lane
Carr Miss, The Poplars, Derby road
Coates William Henry, Vale house
Collyer Joseph, Derby road
Crewe Hugo Harpur D.L. Chantry ho
Dunnicliff John, The Firs, Penn lane
Dunnicliff Thomas, Derby road
Earp Henry Webster, The Church ho
Fane William Dashwood J.P. The Hall ; & 15 South Audley street, London w
Garratt William, The Hollow, Penn la
Jefferson Mrs. Derby road
King Henry, Church square
Knipe William Melville, Huntingdon house, Penn lane
McKee Rev. John Reginald B.A. [Curate] Church street
Newbold Mrs. Mount Pleasant
Parker Henry, The Hollies, Mt. Pleasant
Pass Mrs. Mount house
Samuel Rev. Fredk. [Baptist], Victoria st
Rev. George Beamish [Wesleyan],Castle street
Shaw John, Church square
Singleton Rev. Prebendary Jn. Joseph M.A. [vicar & surrogate], The Vicarage
Springthorpe Robert, South street
Tasker William Biddulph Greaves, The Grange, Chapel street
Tivey Thomas, Mount villa
Tomlinson Miss, Spring Vale cottage, Ashby road
Tomlinson Miss, Victoria street
Winnall Mrs. Derby road
Wood Henry Thos. Rock cot. Penn la

COMMERCIAL.

Adcock Ebenezer, baker & corn dealer, High street
Adcock Frederick, baker & miller (steam), Derby road
Adcock Richard Orme, miller (water) & farmer, Pool cottage
Armson William, grocer, Derby road
Astle Rd. market gardener, Highfields
Athenæum ( Albt. Andrews, sec), Potter st
Atkin Geo. market gardener, South st
Bagnall Tom, butcher, High street
Barber Ellen (Mrs.), market gardener, Alma street
Barker Joseph, painter & paperhanger, Market place
Barton Charles Nicklinson, monumental mason, Victoria street
Barton Joseph, bricklayer, Alma street
Barton William, builder, contractor, stone merchant, Penn lane
Bartram Wm. market gardnr. High st
Bates George Lynes, lace manufacturer, Victoria mills
Bates Henry, shopkeeper, Castle street
Beardsey Joseph, shopkeeper & baker, Rawdon street
Bedells Mary Langdon & Clara (Misses), girls' school, Mount Pleasant
Bendall William Hy. artist, Ashby rd
Bexon John, Railway inn, Station road
Blackshaw William, station master, Railway terrace, Station road
Bland Walter, saddler & harness makr. High street
Blunt William, butcher, Derby road
Briers William, coal merchant, Station yard & Church street
Brookes George, shopkeeper, Station rd
Brookes William, beer retailer, Castle st
Brooks Joseph, beer retailer, Rawdon st
Brooks Martha & Jane (Misses), shopkeepers, High street
Brown Thos. plumber & gasfittr. High st
Buck Daniel, market gardener, Potter st
Buck Jn. (exors. of), nursrymn. Derby rd
Buck Wm. market gardener, Castle st
Bullock Joseph, builder & surveyor & inspector of nuisances for the Castle Donington district of the Shardlow rural sanitary authority, Derby road
Burton Joseph, Blue Bell P.H. Church st
Calow Francis, bricklayer, Victoria rd
Calow George, builder, Mount street
Campion John, registrar of births & deaths, South street
Cartlidge Arthur, market gardener, Victoria street
Cartwright Wm. baker & grocr. Castle st
Cemetery (Alfred John Collyer, clerk to the burial board)
Coates William Henry, surgn. Vale ho
Collyer Brothers, boot manfrs. Derby rd
Collyer Alfred John, clerk to the school & burial boards, Derby road
Collyer Mary Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker, High street
Collyer Mary (Miss), apartments, Market place
Conservative Club (Joseph Wm. Warren, sec.), Church street
Cook John, tobacconist, Russell street
Cook William, beer dealer & retailer, & tobacconist, South street
Cooper Emma Jane (Miss), gro. Victoria st
Coxon Jas. Hy. boot maker, Market pI.
Coxon John, boot & shoe ma. Derby rd
Coxon Wm. fancy repository, High st
Crackle John, painter, South street
Dallman Augustin, beer retailer & butcher, Market place
Dallman Chas. boot & shoe ma. Derby rd
Dallman Francis William, brewer & beer retailer, Derby road
Dallman Hugh, baker, grocer, provision dealer & corn dealer, Market place
Dallman Louisa (Mrs.), dress maker & milliner, Derby road
Dallman Thomas Smith, chimney sweeper, High street
Dallman Wm. jun. provisn. dlr. South st
Derby & Derbyshire Banking Co. Lim. (sub-branch) ; open on mondays, thursdays & saturdays from 11 a.m. till 3 p.m. (James Earp, agent), High street; draw on Williams, Deacon & Manchester & Salford, Lim. London EC
Dexter John, cowkeeper, South street
Dexter Thomas, upholsterer & cabinet maker, Castle street
Dexter Thomas, farmer, Station road
Dove William, blacksmith, High street
Dunnicliff Geo. gro. & tailor, Derby rd
Ealand Jn. F. wine & spirit mer, Market pI
Earl Harry, market gardener, Ashby rd
Earp Henry Webster, woolstapler & seedsman, Church square
Earp John, tailor, High street
Earp Thos. market gardnr. The Roundlet
Earp Wm. grocer & ironmngr. High st
Ensor Wm. White Swan P.H. Castle st
Fletcher Mary & Ann (Misses), shopkeepers, Pitter street
Garratt William, agent to Earl Cowper, Penn lane
Gates William, fishmonger, Potter st
Godfrey John, market gardnr. South st
Gray Fredk. market gardnr. Derby rd
Greasley Wm. Kilham, frmr. Woodhouses
Gregory Charles Pick, drapr. Market pI
Grice John, tailor & grocer, Market pI
Hair John, brewr. & beer retlr. Church st
Hatton Jsph. boot & shoe ma. Castle st
Hawksworth George, market gardener, Victoria street
Heathcote Edwd. hair dressr. Market pI
Hemsley William, silk manufacturer, Kendrick mills, Chapel street
Hollingsworth Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Coppice nook, Woodhouses
Hollingsworth Thomas, beer retailer, Blanch Croft
Holmes Thomas, Roebuck P.H. Potter st
Hulse & Cursley, milanese manufacturers, Castle mill
Hulse Edwin, mechanical engineer & machinist, Castle street
Hulse James, blacksmith, Church st
Hulse Leonard, shopkeeper, Church sq
Hyde Edwin, linen & woollen draper, Market place
Ison Francis, chemist, druggist & stationer, Potter street
Jackson Edmnd. mrkt. grdnr. Victoria st
Jackson Harry, markt. grdnr. North st
Jackson Isaac, market grdnr. Ashby rd
Jackson Jane (Mrs.), market gardener, South street
Jackson Joseph, seedsman & market gardener, South street
Jackson Moses, mrkt. grdnr. The Common
Jackson Philip, markt. grnr. Derby rd
Jackson Thos. mrkt. grdnr. Woodhouses
Jackson Walter, markt. grdnr. The Butts
Jelfs Hy. hair dresser & shpkpr. Market pl
Jeynes Mark, painter, Castle street
Johnson John, painter, High street
Johnson Lydia (Mrs.), baker, High st
Kelk Wm. grocer & draper, Market pI
King Henry M.R.C.V.S.L. veterinary surgeon, Church street
Knight Frederick, farmer, Park farm
Knipe William Melville, surgeon, & certifying factory surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, Melbourne district, Shardlow union, Penn lane
Knowles John, farmer, Castle farm
Liberal Club (Alfred J. Collyer, sec.), Derby road
Lindley Wm. Geo. watch ma. Market pI
Loake Charles, shopkeeper, Potter st
Luckman William, shopkeeper, Potter st
Martin Edward, photographer, Ashby rd
Meaking Henry, Sewing machine agent, High street
Mechanics' Institute (Albert Andrews, sec.), Potter street
Melbourne Co-operative Co. Limited (Fredk. Underwood, sec.), Market pI
Melbourne Gas Co. (John Pass, sec.), Castle street
Melbourne Public Hall Co. (Alfred John Collyer, sec.), Derby road
Melbourne Volunteer Fire Brigade (T. Whyman, captain), Potter street
Moore Hy. bkr. & mrkt. grdnr. Potter st
Moore Thos. market gardener, Potter st
Murfin Geo. market gardener, Derby rd
Nicklinson Thomas, carrier, South st
Norton Emily (Mrs.), coal merchant, Station yard
Parker Henry, lace manufacturer, Victoria mills, Derby road
Parker Robert, wholesale boot & shoe manufacturer, Potter street
Pass John Thomas, wheelwright & carpenter, Potter street
Pearce Jn. grdnr. at The Hall, Church sq
Pegg Jas. chimney sweeper, Station rd
Pipes Henry, shopkeeper, South street
Public Hall, Derby road
Rimington Robert, saddler & harness maker, Russell street
Robey Saml. market gardener, Hope st
Salsbury Alfred, tailor, Potter street
Salsbury James, market gardener & nurseryman, Shaw house
Salsbury Thos. market grdnr. Potter st
School of Science & Art (William Dashwood Fane, hon. sec. ; Albert Stanley Jacques, master), High street
Shaw George, family grocer & provision dealer, Potter street
Shaw William, carman, Penn lane
Sherwin Jnthn. beer retlr. Blanch Croft
Smith Fras. markt. grdnr. Woodhouses
Smith Frederick, boot & shoe manufacturer, High street
Smith George, market gardnr. Castle st
Smith Harry, mrkt. grdnr. Mount Pleasant
Smith Isaac, mrkt. grdnr. Blanch Croft
Smith SI. Thos. coal mer. Station yard
Snape Henry, ironmonger, Market pl
Snape Jn. market gardener, Church st
Spencer Mary Ann (Mrs.), King's Head P.H. Potter street
Springthorpe & Wood, lace manufacturers, Victoria mills, Derby road
Stafford Edwd. markt. grdnr. Victoria st
Stark Herbt. Jn. insur. agent, Station rd
Stevenson William, Crewe & Harpur Arms P.H. & market gardnr. High st
Swanwick Samuel, Inspector of police, County Police station, Derby road
Taffs Harry, inland revenue officer, Derby road
Taifft Ann (Miss), Melbourne Arms P.B. The Common
Taft Henry, market gardener, Castle st
Temperance Institute, Coffee & Reading Rooms (Albert Stanley Jacques, manager), High street
Thompson Edward, draper & outfitter, Market place
Thompson Jn. coal mer. Station yard
Tivey Arnold, pork butcher, Potter st
Tivey Leonard, mrkt. gardnr. High st
Tivey Sidney, children's boot manufacturer, South street
Tivey Thomas, shopkeeper, High street
Tivey Thos. jun. shopkpr. Mount Pleasant
Tomlinson Saml. wheelwright, Ashby rd
Toon Edwin, butcher, High street
Toon Henry, butcher, Russell street
Upton Thos. Melbourne hotel, Russell st
Ward & Fitchett, carpenters & wheelwrights, South street
Ward Thomas, grocer & smallware dealer, High street
Warren Leonard, grocer & confectioner, Post office, Russell street
Webster Robert, brazier & tin plate worker, Potter street
Webster Robt. mrkt. gardnr. Victoria st.
White George, shopkeeper, Chapel st.
Whyman Thomas, painter, Potter st
Winnall Jas. Arthur, butchr. Market pl
Wishart William, apartments, Potter st
Wood Timothy, markt. gardnr. Ashby rd
Woodall George, wheelwright, Ashby rd
Woodall Wm. wheelwright, Chapel st
Worrall Jsph. markt. gardnr; Derby rd
Wren Charles Jas. Lamb P.H. High st.

King's Newton.

Berresford Joseph
Briggs Mrs
Hasard John
Horsley Arthur
Newbold Mrs
Newbold William Knifton, The Elms.

COMMERCIAL.

Archer Henry, farmer, The Field
Astley Wm. beer retailer & market gardnr
Beresford Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Collyer John, shoe maker
Dawson Louisa (Mrs.), Pack Horse P.H
Earp John, market gardener
Earp Jsph. market gardener
Earp Thomas, market gardener
Land Rufus, shopkeeper
Newbold William Knifton, farmer & land agent, The Elms
Pass Alfred, farmer, Field
Pass William, market gardener
Salsbury Jn. markt. grdnr. & nurseryman
Smith Robert, farmer
Stevenson John, Sir Henry Burdett P.H & market gardener
Taylor Sarah (Mrs.), beer retailer
Toon Frederick, market gardener


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Melbourne and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
Our genealogy