Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Mellor, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.262-4
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
MELLOR is a township, chapelry and parish formed out of Glossop in 1838, 2 miles east from Marple station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, 8 miles south-south-west from Glossop, 7 north-east from Stockport, 9 west from Chapel-en-le-Frith and 173 from London by road and 177 by Midland railway, in the High Peak division of the county and hundred, Glossop petty sessional division, Hayfield union, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, divided from Cheshire by the rivers Goyt and Etherow. The church of St. Thomas is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western embattled tower with pinnacles containing 3 bells and a clock, the first and third of which are dated respectively 1639 and 1615: there is a stone font of very early date and an oak pulpit, both curiously carved : a stained window was presented by Mr. Cooper, of Marple, in 1874, and another was given in 1879 by Mrs. Pearson of Stockport, in memory of her husband: there are 600 sittings : in the churchyard is a gravestone recording the deaths of a man and his five wives. The register or baptisms dates from the year 1629, of marriages from 1678 and of burials from 1624. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £140, including 41 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1859 by the Rev. Thomas Matthew Freeman, Lic. Theol. of Durham University, and surrogate. A charity of £7 5s. yearly, left, in 1818 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, formerly rector or Stavely, and Stafford's charity of 30s. yearly. are for clothing. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1827, and a Free Methodist chapel built in 1850. Cotton spinning and bleaching are carried on in the neighbourhood, but the collieries are not now worked. The principal landowners are Frederic Charles Arkwright esq. of Willersley Castle, Matlock, and Jonas Craven Esq. of Mellor Hall, who is lord of the manor, Jonathan Jowett esq. and Ralph Wood esq. The soil is various ; subsoil, gritstone. The chief crops are hay and the land is in pasture. The township contains 2,331 acres ; rateable value, £6,366 ; the population in 1881 was 1,242 in the township and 2,977 in the ecclesiastical district.

POST OFFICE.-James Marsland receiver. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m. from Stockport; dispatched at 6.25 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Marple Bridge & telegraph office at Marple. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

Endowed School (mixed), founded in 1639, by Thomas Walklate & others, with an endowment of £20 yearly, paid to the School fund & rebuilt 1881, for 200 children ; average attendance, 150; William Henry Smith, master

CARRIER.-John Seville, to Stockport, tues. & fri

Ludworth is a township in Mellor parish, Glossop union, 6 miles south-west from Glossop, adjoining the Marple junction on the Sheffield and Midland railway. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1875. There are quarries producing wall stones and paving setts. The area is 1,390 acres; rateable value, £4,456; the population in 1881 was 1,735.

WALL LETTER Box, Mill Brow, cleared at 6.45 p.m

Compstall Road is a place in this township, consisting of one long street, on rising ground, 1 mile east from Marple station. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel built 1867. Names of residents at Compstall Bridge are given in the Cheshire Directory.

Marple Bridge is a place in this township, built on the east bank of the river Goyt, and has a junction station on the Sheffield and Midland railway. The surrounding scenery is very picturesque, and many villa residences, chiefly of merchants and manufacturers from the neighbouring towns, have been built on the adjacent hill sides. The Catholic church of St. Mary was erected in 1859 at the expense of the late Lord Howard of Glossop : there is also a Congregational chapel.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office.- Robert Wheeldon, receiver. Letters arrive via Stockport at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 8 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Marple

Catholic School (mixed), for 100 children; average attendance, 60 ; Miss Mary Cossum, mistress
Names of residents at Marple & Lower Marple are given in the Cheshire Directory

Mellor.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
[Names marked thus * receive their letters through New Mills.]

Allen Miss, Mellor lodge
Ashworth H. M
Cowen James, Torr top
Craven Jonas, Mellor hall
Duckworth Cepbas, Church villa
Evans Richard, Mellor cottage
Freeman Rev. Thomas Matthew L. Th. Vicarage
Jowett Jonathan, Lower hall
McKellen -, Brook Lea
Mainprice Charles Edward, Knowl villa
Popplewall -, Capstones
Pridham Mrs
Ratclitfe John G. Holly vale
Singleton William, Ivy cottage
*Tucker Rev. William Henry Browse M.A. [curate of Strines], Higher cliffe
Talbot -, Capstones
Walkden James, Brook house
Wild John, Lark hill
Wild Miss

COMMERCIAL.

Allen Louisa (Miss), ladies' school. Mellor lodge
Ashworth Thomas, farmer
Barnes Robt. Arnfield, farmr. Pistol frm
Beard Geo. (Mrs.), farmer, Chatterton la
Beard Samuel, farmer, Hill top
Booth Alfred, farmer, Gun farm
Booth lsaac, farmer, Sharpfields
Bowden Benjamin, farmer, Drakecarr
Bradbury James (Mrs.), butcher & furniture dealer
Bradbury Samuel, farmr. Linnett clough
Bradbury William, farmer, Birchenough
Bradley John, farmer, Linnett clough
Brown Martin (Mrs.), farmr. Capstones
Bullock Samuel, farmer, Heathy bank
Chadwick Matthew, farmr. Spring bank
Chorlton John Wm. farmer, Snapehey
Clayton John & Co. Limited, cotton Spinners, Mellor cotton mills
Collier Charles, farmer, Crossgates
Collier Elizh. (Mrs.), farmr. Windy bottm
Cook Ambrose, farmer, Knowl
Cooper George, farmer, Shiloh
Critchlow George, farmer, Nortonslee
Downs Robert, shopkeeper
*Earlam Isaac, farmer, Higher cliffe
Furrniss Edwin, manager to John Clayton & Co. Mellor cotton mill
Hadfield John, farmer, Cobden edge
Hadfield Thomas, farmer, Cobden edge
Hambleton Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer
Harrop John, farmer, Cannon hill
Harrop Wm. band ma. shopkpr. & farmer
Hartle Wm. & Arthur, farmers, Bradshaw
Hibbert John, Sportsman's Arms P.H. & farmer
Hinchliffe Benj. farmer, Bradshaw trees
Howard Benj. farmer, Cheetham hill
Hudson Ralph, farmer, Chatterton lane
Johnson James, shopkeeper, Holly vale
Jowett William, wadding manufacturer, Dove Bank mills
Lindley William, farmer, Cheetham hl
Marshington Philip, farmer, Bradshaw
Marsland Jsph. farmer, Longshaw clough
Marsland Joseph, assistant overseer & inspector of nuisances to Hayfield rural sanitary authority
*Moult John, surveyor & estate agent, Lower cliffe
Nadin Aaron, farmer, Birchenough
Nadin John, farmer, Higher bangs
Neild John, farmer, Hollyend
Nield Robert, shopkeeper
Oldfield Joseph, farmer, Worthington
Oldfield William, farmer, Townscliffe
Pike William, shopkeeper
Potts Alfred, grocer
Ratcliffe John G. cotton spinner & bleacher, Hollyvale mills
Redford James, farmer, Cheetham hill
Richardson John, farmer, Greenclough
Richardson John, farmer, Holly vale
Rowbotham John, blacksmith
Saint -, farmer, Tarden
Seville John, farmer & carrier
Sigley Sam, Royal Oak P.H. & farmer
Sigley Thomas, farmer, Whitehouse
Southern Samuel, farmer, Meadows
Stafford Charles, farmer, Capstones
Stafford James, shopkeeper
Stafford Lettice (Mrs.), farmer & Apple Tree P.H
Stafford William, Devonshire Arms P.H
Taylor John, farmer, Higher banks
Tether John, farmer, Horsepool
Thomas Ernill, farmer, Brookbottom
Turner William Thomas, butcher
Tymm Joseph, farmer
Walkden James, Oddfellows' Arms P.H
Wardle John, farmer, Strawberry hill
Wild Peter, farmer, Podnor
Wild Samuel, farmer, Lane head
Wood Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, Hollywood
Wood Josiah, shopkeeper
Wood Ralph, cotton bleacher, Hollyhead works
Wood Reginald, reporter, Lower ball

Ludworth.

Ardern James
Brown George William, Bleak house
MacMillan Jas. Hemsfield cot. Millbrow
Thompson John Cheeseborough, Newport villas
Waechter Charles
Wainwright Joel, Finchwood

COMMERCIAL.

Allsop William, farmer, Cowhey
Beard Saml. Hare & Hounds P.H. Millbrow
Bennett James, beer retailer, Millbrow
Bennett John, quarry owner, Millbrow
Bowden Samuel, farmer, Heys
Fearnaley George, farmer, Lane ends
Fearnaley Thomas, farmer, Greengate
Green James, farmer, Millbrow
Hague Thomas, beer retailer, Lane ends
Hall John, farmer, Woodheys
Hambleton William, farmer, Hollins
Hammersley Mary (Miss), farmer, The Benches
Harrison Benjamin, farmer, Earnicroft
Harrison John, farmer, Sun hill
Hartle William, farmer, Smithey lane
Hepworth James, boot & shoe maker, Lane ends
Higginbottom Jesse, frmr. & assist. oversr
Higginbottom Wright, farmer, Loads
Hinchcliffe Chas. frmr. Ludworth house
Howell Lawrence, beer retailer & shopkeeper, Lane ends
Hudson George, farmer & quarry owner, Clough end
Hudson John, farmer
Hyde & Harrop, bleachers & wadding manufacturers, Clough mill
Jackson Joseph, farmer, Stirrup
Lingard Wright, farmer, Lane ends
Longson Robert, farmer, Stirrup
Potts Harriett (Mrs.), farmer, Cote green
Ratcliffe John, candlewick manufacturer; warehouse, Millbrow
Rowbottam Joe, farmer, Smithy lane
Salt John, farmer, Stirrup
Wild John (Mrs.), farmer, Sun hill
Wood Wm. & John, farmers, Broodstone
Wood James (Mrs.), farmer, Millbrow
Wood Joseph, farmer, Earnicroft
Wood Ralph, farmer, & Rock tavern, Brookbottom
Wood Samuel, farmer, Broadstone
Wormold John, farmer, Twitches

Marple Bridge.

Adams Samuel
Burbage Miss, Woodbarn cottage
Burton Harry
Giles John Owen, The Oaks
Holmes James Colley, Ludworth house
Humphreys James Maxwell
McSweeney Rev. Cornelius [Catholic], St. Mary's
Toothill Rev. Alfred [Congregational]
Wood Ralph, The Poplars

COMMERCIAL.

Ardern Jas. Samuel, farmer, Pear Tree P.H
Buck William, iron & tinplate worker
Bullock Jn. Norfolk Arms hotl. & pstng. ho
Burton Harry L.K.Q.C.P. Irel. physician
Hibbert Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hibbert Thomas, builder
Hyde Frederick, shopkeeper
Ingham Charles, blacksmith
Lydiate George, clogger & confectioner
Mallalieu Mary (Mrs.), Horse Shoe P.H
Marple Bridge Loan Discount Co. Limited (George Fernley, sec)
Marple Gas Co. Lim. (Wm. Johnson, sec)
Mayall Robert, Railway inn
Platt James, shopkeeper
Webb Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wheeldon Rt. grocer, builder & post office
Yarwood John, spade & shovel maker

Compstall Road.

Hill George Henry C.E. Ernocroft
Shaw John, Poplar grove
Sherwin Thomas

COMMERCIAL.

Artingstall John, Compstall Gardens P.H
Bann Samuel, shopkeeper
Boote Charles, beer retailer
Booth James, house decorator
Compstall Co-operative & Industrial Society Lim. (James Ardern, manger) Compstall & Ludworth Liberal Club (Joseph Sidebottom, sec)
Hadfield James, shopkeeper
Haywood Henry, beer retailer
Hinchcliffe Francis, farmer
Hinchcliffe Wm. shopkeeper & tailor
Lee Robert, tinplate worker
Lomas Joe, butcher
Lupton Septimus, Windsor Castle P.H
Mycock William, George hotel
Ratcliffe William, shopkeeper
Shaw William, shoe maker
Smith Thomas, shopkeeper
Swan James, shopkeeper
Wild John, shopkeeper
Woolley Mary Alice (Miss), shopkeeper


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Mellor and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills

The Arkwright's of Willersley Castle are linked to Mellor. There is more about the family in the Matlock section of this website
Pedigree of ARKWRIGHT of Willersley
Arkwright and his Masson Mill
'The Beauties of England and Wales' (1802) cotton manufacturing, the mills, Willersley & the surrounding area, Sir Richard Arkwright
Engraving of Willersley Castle