Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Radbourne, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.286-287
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
RADBOURNE is a parish 5½ miles west from Derby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Appletree, Burton-upon-Trent union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Longford, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Andrew is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and low embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 3 bells: the font, which originally belonged to Dale Abbey, has a splendidly carved oaken cover; there are also several carved oak benches and three stone monuments, one bearing recumbent effigies of a man and woman, the other with several small figures, but very much defaced and without date or inscription some remains of two piscinæ still exist : a new organ chamber was added in 1888 : there are 60 sittings, 30 being free. The register of burials dates from the year 1572, and of baptisms and marriages from 1573. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £190, gross yearly value £365, including 130 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Capt. Reginald Walkelyne Chandos-Pole J.P. and held since 1866 by the Rev. William Chandos-Pole M.A. of Christ Church. Oxford. German Pole, who died in 1683, founded and endowed a school here. Radbourne Hall, situated on an eminence, is a large square mansion of red brick, in a finely-wooded park, surrounded by extensive well laid-out pleasant grounds of 18 acres, and is the residence of Capt. Reginald Walkelyne Chandos-Pole J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loam and gravel ; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, with a large portion of pasture. The acreage is 2,034; rateable value, £4,243; the population in 1881 was 200.

Parish Clerk, William Smith.

POST OFFICE.-Robert Constable, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Derby at 7 a.m. dispatched at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Mackworth & telegraph office at Mickleover.

Radbourne School (mixed), erected in 1850, for 45 children ; average attendance, 40; it is entirely supported by Capt. Reginald Walkelyne Chandos-Pole ; Henry Keyte, master ; Mrs. Harriet Keyte, mistress

Chandos-Pole Rev. Will. M.A. Rectory
Chandos-Pole Capt. Reginald Walkelyne J.P. Radbourne hall; & Sydling court, Dorsetshire
Dugdale Capt. Herbert, Old Park house

Archer Samuel, farmer
Archer Thomas, farmer
Bland John, farmer
Derbyshire Yeomanry Cavalry (A Troop) (Capt. R. W. Chandos-Pole, commandant; Sergt. Thomas Littlechild, drill instructor)
Edwards Leonard, land steward to R. W. Chandos-Pole esq. J.P
Garratt William, farmer
Grainger John, farmer
Lee Robert, blacksmith
Lowe John, farmer
Lowe Joseph, farmer
Owen Arthur Hy. farmer, Tyrrell Hay
Slater John, Old Park farm
Smith John, farmer
Smitll Samuel, farmer
Wade Samuel, farmer
Walker John, farmer, Radbourne comn

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Radbourne and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills