Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Rowsley (Great Rowsley), Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p. 294
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


Rowsley Bridge


GREAT ROWSLEY is a village, township and parish formed 30 Oct. 1860, from the parishes of Bakewell, Darley, and Youlgrave, with a station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland Railway, 154 miles from London. 5½ miles from Matlock, 3¾ south-east from Bakewell, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Bakewell parish, union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell ; it is situated near the junction of the rivers Wye and Derwent, the former being crossed by a modern stone bridge of two arches, and the latter by an ancient bridge of four arches. The water supply is derived from a small reservoir at Peak Tor, the property of the Duke of Rutland. The church of St. Catherine, consecrated in 1855, is a building of stone consisting of chancel, north aisle, south porch and a turret containing one bell, formerly belonging to the old chapel at Haddon Hall : the north aisle and a mortuary chapel were added in 1859; the latter contains a monument to Catherine L. G. (Marlay), 1st wife of the present Duke of Rutland ; she died 7 April, 1854 : there are 200 sittings, The register dates from the year 1855. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Duke of Rutland, rent-charge £100, gross yearly value £186, with residence, erected in 1857, and held since 1884 by the Rev. Edward Chinery Parmenter M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. The charities amount to about £4.

Stanton Woodhouse is an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style ; situated on an elevation and commanding a considerable view ; it was formerly one of the seats of the late Duke of Rutland K.G.; the park is extensive, and contains some fine old timber ; it is now the residence of R. W, Cory esq. The Duke of Rutland G.C.B. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is grit and sand; subsoil, gritstone and gravel. The chief crops are principally grass. The area of the township is 679 acres of land and 21 of water; rateable value, £1,870; the population of the township in 1881 was 284, and of the parish 388; the latter is now (1890) about 500.

ALPORT is a hamlet in this township.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B, & Anhuity & Insurance Office. -Thomas Richards, receiver. Letters arrive through Bakewell at 8.15 a.m. (& in the summer months at 5.30 p.m.) ; dispatched at 4.50 & 8.20 p.m. Sunday letters arrive at 9 a.m. ; dispatched 5.40 p.m

Church of England School (mixed). -A substantial building, erected by the Duke of Rutland in 1840, for 130 children ; average attendance, 102 ; Thomas Richards, master ; Mrs. Martha Richards, mistress

Railway Station, Thomas Pitt, station master

Barker Mrs. Wye Bridge
Boden John J. Hall farm
Bowman William, Alport
Cory Richd. Wallis, Stanton Woodhouse
Faulkner Mrs. Alport
Levett Major Edward
Melland Charles John, Alport
Parmenter Rev. Edward Chinery M.A. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL.

Bailey Peter, coal mer. Railway station
Boden John J. stone merchant, quarry
Boden S. & M. (Misses), apartments, Hall farm Alport
Boden Joseph (Mrs.), Derwent house
Caudwell Charles & Edward, millers (water), The Mill
Cooper & Dawson S & E (Misses), Peacock hotel
Deeley Henry, grindstone merchant, Railway station
Eades Joseph, farmer, Woodhouse
Elliott James, joiner
Elliott William, joiner
Evans John, miller (water) & farmer, Alport
Fearn Thomas, farmer, Tinkersley
Gilman Charles, goods agent
Hall John & Son, merchant, general merchant, Railway station
Hopkinson Jas. Timber mer. & farmer
Howard William, farmer
Kidd Charles, farmer
Prince John & Co. stone merchants
Reading Rooms (Thos. Richards, sec)
Strutt George, farmer
Titterton Samuel, farmer
Toft Henry, mine agent & spar merchant & poor rate collector, Alport
Tomlinson Richard, farmer
Wall George, farmer, Tinkersley
Wan Samuel, blacksmith
Wall Thomas, shoe maker
Walton George, farmer
Wheatcroft Nathaniel & Sons, coal merchants, Railway station
Whitehead Richard, grocer & draper
Willgoose Peter, Station inn


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Rowsley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills