Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Shirland, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.299-300
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Are surnames
CLAY, BRYAN or BRYON mentioned in your old Shirland & Higham wills or documents?
If so, please email webmistress


Shirland, St. Leonard's Church (Photo Gallery)


SHIRLAND with HIGHAM is a parish, including the township of SHIRLAND and HIGHAM, a very small portion of STRETTON township, the populous village of STONEBROOM and the hamlet of HALLFIELD GATE, in the Mid division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Alfreton petty sessional division, Chesterfield union and county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, Shirland is 2 miles north-by-west from Alfreton, 2 south-east from Stretton station on the Midland railway and 141½ from London by road and 134 via Alfreton per rail. The river Amber flows through the parish. The church of St. Leonard is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch, and a fine embattled western tower, with eight pinnacles, and containing a clock with chimes, erected at a cost of over £100, and 5 bells, three of which are dated respectively 1618, 1710 and 1713 : the parapets throughout are embattled, and all the windows, except the east window, are square headed : in the north chancel wall is a fine monumental recess, partly of alabaster, adorned with twenty-one mutilated escutcheons, the whole being within an ogee arch with cinquefoil cuspings, beneath which there once lay the effigy of a knight in armour ; this monument certainly belonged to the Greys, and the figure is conjectured to have represented Sir Henry de Grey, 5th Baron Grey de Wilton, ob. 1396 : on the opposite wall is a slab of alabaster, on which are carved three kneeling figures, supposed by Dr. Pegge to commemorate Reginald Grey, justice of Chester, 1st Baron Grey de Wilton, ob. 1308, his wife Maud (Fitzhugh) and their children : under the east window of the north aisle is a table-tomb of alabaster, the top of which is incised with two full-length figures and has a marginal inscription, in black letters, to John Revell of Shirland, ob. 1537, and Margaret, his wife; below the figures of the parents are those of three boys and five girls ; the sides of the tomb are panelled and adorned with shields of arms; there was a chantry founded by this family at the end of the north aisle : some fragments of old glass remain in the clerestory windows, and the presence of incised slabs built into the belfry walls indicates the existence of an earlier church here : the church was restored in 1848, when the interior was renovated, and in 1885 a new organ was erected by subscription: there are 200 sittings. The register of burials dates from the year 1678, and of baptisms and marriages from 1695. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £145, with 65 acres of glebe, let for £100 net yearly value £205, with good residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Robert Baker Stoney M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. At Stonebroom is a temporary church, seating 120 persons; the Rev, Edward Thomas Peberdy M.A. of the University of London, has been curate in charge since 1890. There are Free Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels at Shirland, Baptist and Fret Methodist chapels at Stonebroom and a Methodist New Connexion chapel at Stretton Hill Side. There are charities of £40 yearly value to provide the poor with clothing and bread and other purposes and Gisborn's charity of £6 13s. yearly for flannel. Major William Gladwin Turbutt JP. of Ogston Hall, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey ; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and some land in pasture. The area is 2,956 acres ; rateable value, £12,204; the population in 1871 was 2,437, and in 1881 was 3,415, including Higham.

Higham is a considerable village, three-quarters of a mile north-west of Shirland and 1½ south from Stretton station, in the Alfreton county court district. Previous to 1785 it was a market town, and the ancient cross is still standing. There is a Free Methodist chapel here. A fair for cattle is held on the first Wednesday after New Year's day. The land is owned by Major W. G. Turbutt, C. R, Palmer-Morewood esq. D.L., J.P. of Alfreton Park, and others.

Hallfield Gate is a hamlet half a mile west. Parish Clerk, Samuel Hadfield, Higham.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Shirland. -William Poyzer, sub-postmaster. Letters through Alfreton arrive at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.50 p.m. ; sundays, 10.10 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Higham
POST & T. O. Higham.-Richard Breffit, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Alfreton at 8.45 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 pm. & on sundays at 9.55 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Shirland. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Stonebroom.-Charles Smith, sub-postmaster. Letters via Alfreton arrive at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. ; sundays, 10.10 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Doehill railway station

WALL LETTER BOX, at Hallfield Gate, cleared at 5.45 p.m

School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871 for Shirland & Higham ; J. H. Unwin, Clay Cross, clerk to the board

SCHOOLS:- Board, erected as a National school in 1851, at a cost of £800 & enlarged in 1884, at a cost of £1,100, for 200 boys & girls & 50 infants; average attendance, 62 boys, 68 girls & 60 infants ; Thomas Willan, head master ; Geo. Smith, assistant master ; Mrs. C. Smith, infants' mist
Board, Higham (girls & infants), erected in 1853, for 120 children; average attendance, 89; Miss Caroline Street, mistress
Board, Stonebroom lane, erected in 1870, for 200 boys, 150 girls & 250 infants; average attendance, 110 boys, 100 girls & 120 infants; Frederick Robinson, head master; Mrs. E. Robinson, mistress; Miss R. Smith, infants' mistress
Endowed, Hallfield Gate, erected, with master's house, by Edward Revell esq. & endowed by him & others with lands producing about £25 yearly : it was enlarged in 1876 by Major W. G. Turbutt & now holds 80 children; average attendance, 60 ; William Henry Davies, master; Mrs. A. Davies, infants' mistress

Shirland.
Baggaley Mrs. Shirland house
Creswell Mrs. Hallfield house
Hurt Albert, Amber house
Page Mrs
Peberdy Rev, Edwd. Thos, M.A. [curate]
Stoney Rev. Robt. Baker M.A. Rectory

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Joseph, blacksmith, Stonebroom la
Baggaley Henry Charles, farmer & land surveyor, Shirland house
Barber John, farmer
Barratt Joseph, farmer, Delves
Beasttall George, Amber hotel, Furnace
Bettison William, grocer &c
Blackwell Colliery Co. (Jeremiah Rhodes, manager)
Booth James, grocer & provision dealer
Booth Richard, farmer, Park Mill farm
Bower Edward, White Bear P.H.
Brierley James, shopkeeper
Calow Mary (Mrs.), Shoulder of Mutton P.H. Hallfield gate
Cartlidge Samuel, shopkeeper, Furnace
Cupit Hannah (Mrs.), Hay hotel
Cupit Thomas, farmer, Stretton Hill side
Deville John, farmer, Delves
Hardy Alfred, butcher & farmer
Hardy Sarah (Mrs.), butcher
Hill George, shopkeeper
Holmes Francis Longford, beer retailer & road surveyor
Holmes James, grocer, draper &c
Holmes Samuel, shopkeeper
Hutchinson Edward, farmer, The Park
Lamb John, Red Lion P.H
Lamb James, builder & wheelwright
Lamb Robert, farmer & timber merchant
Mason Robert, shopkeeper
Moore Christopher, shopkeeper
Mycroft George, jun. blacksmith shopkeeper, Furnace
North Isaac, tinman & furniture dealer
Parr Robert, farmer
Poyzer Wm. boot & shoe ma. Post office
Radford Daniel, farmer, Park lane
Radford Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Reader Frederick, baker
Reddish William, frmr. Stonebroom lane
Rhodes Jeremiah, farmer & colliery mngr
Rhodes John, Duke of Wellington P.H
Shirland, Hallfield Gate & Higham Gaslight & Coke Go. Limited (Richard Breffitt, jun. sec)
Silkstone William, boot & shoe maker
Simpkin John, farmer
Souter George, farmr. Stretton Hillside
Swain Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, Fumace
Tagg Herbert, butcher
Tagg John, farmer
Tagg John, jun. farmer, Park
Thompson Jsph. frmr. Stretton Hill side
Vardy James, higgler & farmer, Stonebroom lane
Walker John, farmer, Stretton Hill side
Webster Jn.farmer, Shirland Lodge farm
Wilson Joseph, farmer, Stonebroom la
Woolley Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wragg Wm. boot maker, Hallfield gate

Higham.
Eden Rt. Henley Hildyard, Higham cliffe

COMMERCIAL.
Barber Samuel, Crown inn & farmer
Brefitt Richard, grocer, Post office
Cooper Henry, farmer
Cupit Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Cutts Archer, mason
Devonport John, farmer
Hadfield Joseph, blacksmith
Haslam George, butcher
Haslam Thomas, shopkeeper
Haslam William, farmer, Bull farm
Henstock Samuel, farmer
Higham Dairy & Produce Co. (Robert Eden, manager), Higham mill
Hitchcock Matthew, farmer
Holmes William, builder &c
Kay Vincent, boot & shoe ma. New Higham
Mycroft Matthew, frmr. & rate collector, & Conservative registration agent for Clay Cross & Tupton polling district
Rawson Joseph, grocer & provision dealer
Shemwell Herbt. Greyhound P.H. & frmr
Simpson William, shopkeeper
Skull George, farmer
Tagg George, farmer & butcher
Tagg William, plumber
Wardle William, shopkeeper
White Ann (Mrs.), shopkpr. New Higham
Wragg William, farmer

Stonebroom.
Harrison John Towndrow, Westbourne
Pegler Louis Wellesley Hemmington M.D. Ellenborough house
Stafford Rev Jn. [Methodist Free Church]
Wetton Thomas, Stonebroom house

COMMERCIAL.
Beaumont Edward T. grocer
Blankley John, shopkeeper
Checkland Joseph, agent Victoria Legal Friendly Society
Checklin William, shopkeeper
Davis George, shopkeeper
Gabbitas John Thomas, chemist
Green John, beer retailer
Hall William, fishmonger
Hardy Alfred, butcher
Harrison John Towndrow, wholesale & retail grocer, provision dealer, beef, mutton & pork butcher & ham & bacon factor & farmer
Hartlett Josiah, ironmonger
Holden Peter, boot & shoe maker
Holmes Thomas, confectioner
Jones George E. marine store dealer
Merry Alice (Miss), glass & china dealr
Merry John, tailor & draper
Mosley George, Star inn
Pegler Louis Wellesley Hemmington M.D., C.M. surgeon, & medical officer &public vaccinator, Shirland dist. Chesterfield union, EIlenborough house
Radford Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Reader Ann (Mrs.), baker & confectn
Reddington Thomas, draper & stationer
Reddish William, farmer
Riggott Reuben, hair dresser
Roberts Sydney, pianoforte tuner
Salmon William, beer retailer & shopkpr
Shaw Eli, beer retailer
Silkstone George, shopkeeper
Smith Charles, hoot maker, Post office
Tagg John, farmer
Thorpe Alexander, beer retailer
Wetton George, joiner & builder
White Charlotte (Mrs.), grocer & farmer
Wilbourn Emma (Mrs.), tinman, brazr. &c
Williams Frederick, boot & shoe maker


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Shirland, Higham and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Our Genealogy
Shirland names in Pigot & Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Derbyshire, Dorset ... (July, 1842)
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills