Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Shirley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.300
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
SHIRLEY is a township, parish and picturesque village, 4 miles south-east from Ashborne station on the Churnet Valley section of the North Staffordshire railway and north-west from Derby, in the Western division of the county, Appletree hundred, in the petty sessional division, union and county court district of Ashborne, rural dean of Ashborne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Matthew, a building of stone, situated upon an acclivity, consists or chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower with four pinnacles, erected in 1861. and containing 3 bells, two of which are dated 1688 : in 1842 the north aisle was added and the church refitted, the chancel arch, the only remnant of the Early Norman church, being replaced by a Pointed arch ; all the ancient parts of the church now remaining, include the south aisle and its windows, and the arcade separating it from the nave, are Decorated : the chancel retains a piscina and in the opposite wall an almery ; there is also a piscina the south aisle : the font is an octagonal work of the 15th century : such ancient monuments as remained appear to have been destroyed in the repairs or 1842 : at the east end of the north aisle is a portion of the Norman tympanum, once placed over the principal entrance : in the north aisle is a handsome marble monument to the Right Rev. W.A. Shirley, Bishop of Sodor and Man, and previously archdeacon of Derby and vicar of Shirley, d. April 21, 1847 : and in 1873 a brass was erected to the late Canon Walter Waddington Shirley of Christ Church, Oxford : some of the communion plate is dated 1620 ; but two pieces date from the reign of Henry VIl. : the chancel, which [with the great tithes] became the property of Sir Andrew B. Walker bart. on purchasing the Osmaston estate, was redecorated by him in 1886, and there is a brass plate to that effect within the chancel : there are 200 sittings, half of which are free. The churchyard contains the remains of an ancient stone pillar monument, and a fine yew tree, the circumference of which, at four feet from the ground, is 17 feet. The register dates from the year 1658 for all entries, and is in excellent condition. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £195, with 9 acres of glebe, value £25, net yearly value £247, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Shirley's trustees, and held since 1886 by the Rev. William Richardson Linton M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Oxford. The vicarage is situated about a quarter of a mile from the church. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. A reading room was opened January 1st, 1877, and is well supplied with daily papers, periodicals and magazines, and possesses also a library containing over 160 volumes : the vicar is president. Here are charities amounting to £1 6s. 8d. yearly. Mrs. Shirley is lady of the manor. Sir Andrew Barclay Walker bart. of Osmaston, and the trustees of the late Rev. W. W. Shirley D.D. are chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel and sand. The land is chiefly kept in pasture for dairy produce. The acreage is 1,611 ; rateable value, £2,770 ; the population in 1881 was 243 in the township. Parish Clerk, Samuel Goodall.

WALL LETTER BOX, in school wall, cleared at 6 p.m. Letters through Derby via Brailsford, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office arrive at 9 a.m

National School (mixed), erected with residence in 1844, by subscription, assisted by a parliamentary grant, for 60 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Cath. Moore, mist

Linton Rev. William Richardson [vicar], Vicarage

Balnbrigge Eli, butcher
Blore George, farmer
Bott Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Cresswell Robert, farmer, Shirley hall
Dakin Wm. farmer, Shirley common
Darbyshire George, farmer
Gilman James, farmer
Gilman Letitia (Mrs.),farmr. Mt. Pleasnt
Goodall Leah (Miss), milliner & dress ma
Goodall Richard, farmer
Howard George, poultry dealer
Jackson Joseph, yeoman
Mansfield Francis, farmer
Maskery John, boot & shoe maker
Maskery Joseph, framer
Maskery Mary (Miss), dress maker
Maskery William, farmer & carpenter
Mason Willam, farmer
Massey Joseph, farmer, Shirley lodge
Mellor Elizabeth (Mrs.),.Saracen's Head
Osborne Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Cottage frm
Reading Room (Rev. W.R. Linton M.A. president)
Redshaw Wm. farmer, Old Park farm
Strong Thomas William, grocer& farmer
Swindell Samuel, miller (water) & farmer
Tunstall Daniel, brick maker
Wheeldon Alfred, farmer
Wheeldon Charles, farmer
Wheeldon Thomas, farmer, Flat farm
Wheeldon William, farmer
Wibberley Frederick, farmer, Wormsey

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Shirley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills