Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.31-311
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
SUTTON-ON-THE-HILL is a parish comprising the townships of SUTTON-ON-THE-HILL, ASH and OSLESTON with THURVASTON, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Appletree, and petty sessional division of Sudbury, union of Burton-upon-Trent, Derby county Court district, archdeaconry of Derby, rural deanery of Longford and diocese of Southwell. Sutton-on-the-Hill is 3 miles south-east from Etwall station, on the Great Northern railway, 5 miles north-east from Tutbury station, on the North Staffordshire railway, 8 west-by-south from Derby, and 7 north from Burton. A small brook flows through the parish. The church of St. Michael, a building of stone in the Decorated style, is situate on a lofty hill, about half a mile from the village, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with spire, struck by lightning in 1841, and taken down, but rebuilt in 1863: the tower contains 6 bells, dating from 1602, and some stained glass: there are 170 sittings. The register dates from the year 1575. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Rowland German Buckston M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. The vicarage is a very fine old castellated mansion, mantled with ivy. The trustees of Chetham's Hospital are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is chiefly marl. The crops are wheat, barley, clover and turnips. The area of the parish is 3,246 acres; rateable value, £1,776; the population in 1881 was 695.

ASH is a small hamlet and village, 1 mile south from Sutton. The sole owner of Ash is the Rev. R. G. Buckston M.A. It contained in 1881 a population of 75 ; the area is 691 acres of strong land; rateable value, £1,370.

Long Lane includes Osleston, one mile north-east, and Thurvaston, 2 miles north, which form a joint township.

CHRIST CHURCH, an ecclesiastical parish, was formed from parts of Brailsford, Sutton-on-the-Hill and Trusley in 1859. The church is a plain structure of brick, situated in Long lane, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a belfry containing 3 bells: there are two stained windows, the gift of R. W. Chandos-Pole esq. and a memorial window to Frances Brewin, erected by her father: the church affords 162 sittings. The register dates from the year 1860. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £28, gross yearly value £62, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Sutton-on-the-Hill, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Herbert Arthur Hodges M.A. of Oxford University. The population in 1881 was 332; rateable value £3,045.

Parish Clerk, Dan F. Bevis.

POST OFFICE. Dan F. Bevis, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Etwall

Parish School, Sutton-on-the-Hill, built in 1871, for 60 children ; average attendance, 45 ; Dan Bevis, master
Christ Church National (mixed), Long lane, erected in 1866 for 50 children; average attendance, 37 ; A. Johns, master

Buckston Rev. Rowland German M.A., Vicarage
Hoare _, Ash

Brassington John, farmer
Bridges Hy. manager, Sutton Cheese fctry
Bull Samuel, butcher
Fleming Edward, Chetham's Arms P.H
Fowke William, farmer, Ash
Hall John & Son, millers (water)
Hibbs William, farmer
Lomas John, blacksmith
Newham Frank, farmer
Orme Reginald, farmer, Ash
Rose Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Ash
Somerfield James, farmer
Sutton Cheese Factory (Henry Bridges, manager)
Wainwright Thomas, farmer
Walwyn Peter, wheelwright
Wooddisse Ralph, farmer, Ash

Osleston (or Long Lane).
Archer Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Hodges Rev. Herbert Arthur M.A. Christ Church vicarage, Long lane
Bestwick Thomas, shopkeeper
Burnett Arthur, farmer, Nunsfield
Finch John, wheelwright & shopkeeper
Hardy Emma (Mrs.), farmer
Hunt Thomas, farmer
Kent George, farmer
Knifton Joseph, farmer, Grangefield
Shaw Daniel, farmer, Cropper farm
Stretton Brothers, farmers
Thompson Henry, farmer, Trusley wood
Tunnicliff James, farmer
Walker William, farmer

Thurvaston (or Long Lane).
Brassington Arthur, farmer
Draycott Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Gibbs William, farmer
Jeffrey Thomas, farmer
Kent John, farmer
Lee Richard, Three Horseshoes P. H. & farmer
Smith James, farmer
Sessions William, dairyman
Ward James, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Sutton on the Hill and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills