Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Swarkston, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.313-314
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
SWARKESTON is a parish and village extending some distance along the north bank of the Trent; the Trent and Mersey canal passes through the parish and is here joined by the Derby canal : it is 5 miles south-by-east from Derby and 1 south from Chellaston station on the Derby and Ashby-de-la-Zouch branch of the Midland railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton aud Gresley, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, Shardlow union, rural deanery of Melbourne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. James is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 3 bells, dated respectively 1847, 1688 and 1860 : the tower, in the Late Perpendicular style, together with the Harpur mortuary chapel, constitute all that is left standing of the old church since the restoration and rebuilding in 1876; this chapel, situated on the south side of the chancel, contains two monuments in alabaster, one to Richard Harpur, Justice of the Common Pleas, ob. 29 Jan. 1577 and Jane (Fynderne), his wife, with recumbent effigies, that of the judge being in official robes with a collar of SS ; surrounding the tomb is a fillet of brass, with engraved figures of boars, dogs &c. ; the other tomb has also recumbent effigies, one in armour, of Sir John Harpur kt. son of the judge, ob. 7 Oct. 1627, his head resting on his helmet, and the other to Isabella (Pierpont), his first wife; on the front of this tomb, and carved in relief, is a double prayer desk, with open books thereon, and the kneeling figures of seven sons on one side and five daughters on the other; above each are their names and shields of arms : against the south wall, above the tomb is a curious tablet, with an inscription to both, surrounded with floriated work and objects in colour, and against the east wall of this chapel is a mural monument to Frances, eldest daughter of William, 6th Baron Willoughby of Parham and wife 1st of Sir John Harpur kt. who died in 1714, surviving three husbands: on the north side is a canopied tomb to the Rolleston family, the top of which is incised with figures of John Rolleston, ob. 1482, in plate armour, and his wife, ob. 1460 ; on the front are carved in relief the figures of seven sons and seven daughters : in the wall under this arch is a small niche :the font is apparently Norman: the east window and a small one at the west end of the church are stained : a fine Norman arch ornamented with chevron moulding, separates the chancel from the nave, and several pieces of Norman stonework, of the 12th century were found during the rebuilding, one of these being a jamb of the original south doorway; they are now built into the interior wall : in 1828 the church received an addition of 100 sittings, of which 70 are free, and in 1876 underwent a thorough restoration. The register dates from the year 1604, but several intervals occur, and the record is much torn. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Stanton-by-Bridge, joint gross yearly value £530, derived from 321 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. and held since 1888 by the Rev. Charles Henry Carlisle, who resides at Stanton; the Rev. John Joseph Wardle B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, is curate in charge, and is resident at Barrow-on-Trent. The site of Swarkeston Old Hall is now occupied by a farm house, and considerable remains of the old mansion still exist. The Cuttle is a large inclosure surrounded by a stone wall about 3 feet high and is supposed to have been an arena for bull baiting and such like sports; it stood close to the Hall, and the ruins seem to indicate the existence of an amphitheatre, or some such structure ; it is now used as a paddock for sheep. Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. of Calke, is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is mixed ; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are oats, wheat, barley and pasture. The acreage is 850; rateable value, £2,018 ; the population in 1881 was 209.
Sexton, Robert Bates.

SWARKES LOWES is now only a farm, but takes its name from five mounds, formerly known as barrows or lowes, two only of which now remain, the other three having been nearly levelled by ploughing.

POST OFFICE.-Thomas Parkes, receiver. Letters through Derby 5.40 a.m.; dispatched at 7.15 p.m. Nearest money order office at Chellaston & telegraph office at Chellaston railway station

The children of this parish attend school at Stanton & Barrow-upon-Trent

Bates Robert, shoe maker
Bentley John, farmer
Bentley Thomas James, wheelwright & blacksmith
Camp Emma (Mrs.), shoe maker
Lakin Thomas, Crewe & Harpur Arms family & commercial hotel; good hunting boxes
Fisher John, farmer
Laycock R.C.R. corn, cake & salt mer
Ordish John, farmer
Osborne William, butter factory, & condensed milk manufacturer
Parkes Thos. shopkeeper, Post Office
Potts Samuel, shoe maker
Rowbotham Elizabeth (Mrs.), agent to the Derby Canal Co
Roberts John, farmer
Smith David, farmer
Stevens Charles, agent to the Trent & Mersey Canal Co
Tomlinson Samuel, farmer, Lowes farm

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Swarkston and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills