Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Taddington and Priestcliffe, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.314
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
TADDINGTON and PRIESTCLIFFE form a joint township and parish, to which Blackwell and Brushfield townships are annexed for ecclesiastical purposes. Taddington is on the Bakewell and Buxton road, being 6 miles from either place, 4½ miles south from Tideswell and 2 miles south from Miller's Dale railway station on the Midland railway, in the Westem division of the county, hundred of High Peak, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, The village is supplied with water from a reservoir at a short distance fed by a spring called " the Sough Brook; " the water is conveyed through pipes laid down by the sanitary authority of the district. The church of St. Michael is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with broach spire, containing 4 bells, three of which were rehung and a fourth added in 1876; two of these bear dedicatory inscriptions to St. Michael; the 3rd is dated 1669 ; no part of the existing edifice seems older than the 14th century, and it is probable that the church was entirely rebuilt about 1350; the east window consists of five lights; the nave arcade has slender and somewhat lofty octagonal piers: the clerestory was an addition in the Perpendicular period, but the south doorway is Decorated, and has a Iater porch: in the chancel, affixed to the north wall, from which it projects 9 inches, at a height of 3 feet from the floor, is a stone reading desk ; similar desks exist at Crich and Spondon : on the south side is a small piscina and sedilia : a stone slab, perhaps an ancient altar stone, lies on the south side of the chancel: in the south aisle is a second and more elaborate piscina and brasses to Richard and Agnes Blackwall, of Blackwall (now Blackwell), in this parish, and their family, the former attired as a civilian, with a gypciere, or pouch, and the latter in a conventual dress, she having, after her husband's death, taken a vow of perpetual widowhood; the inscription, in black letter, is dated 1505: near these is a mutilated alabaster slab, with the rudely incised but headless figure of a man; the inscription is obliterated, or nearly so, but it related to the same family; the font is a plain octagon of Perpendicular date : there are 350 sittings: in the churchyard is an ancient cross, consisting of a pedestal 2 feet square, from which arises an incomplete shaft, 6 feet in height, incised with chevron and other markings ; it is probably Celtic, and may have been erected by the Celtic missionaries of the 7th century; in 1889 the churchyard was enlarged by order of the bishop of the diocese, the vicar bestowing 2½ acres of glebe for the purpose; the churchyard is now about 4 acres in extent. The register dates from about 1640. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £240, including 45 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Bakewell, and held since 1865 by the Rev. John Bateson B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin : in 1889 the living was augmented by the great tithes being made over to it by the Duke of Rutland. There are other charities, of about £10 12s. yearly for distribution. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1833, and a small Primitive Methodist chapel. One of the best examples now existing in this country of ancient burying-places is situated on the summit of Five Wells Hill, about It miles west-by-south from the village; it was opened in 1846, when quantities of bones of both sexes and of various ages were found. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor. The land in Taddington is divided into small freeholds, 60 in number, of which the occupiers are chiefly the owners. The soil is light, on limestone. The chief crops are hay and oats, but the land is mostly pasture for dairy purposes, a large quantity of milk being sent from here to Liverpool. The area is 3,008 acres ; rateable valtfe, £5,192; the population in 1881 was 486 in the parish and 408 in the township.

BLACKWELL township contains 1,083 acres ; rateable value, £2,082; and had 47 inhabitants in 1881. The manor of Blackwell belonged to William Peverel in the reign of Henry I. : the whole now belongs to the Duke of Devonshire.

Sexton, Thomas Mycock.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Mrs. Joyce Lingard, receiver. Letters are received from Stockport at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at4.30 p.m. weekdays only. The nearest telegraph office is at Miller's Dale


Priestcliffe Charity, erected in 1848. for 113 boys; average attendance, 45; the school is endowed with £86 yearly, arising from land, left in 1714, for 30 foundation scholars ; Charles Bernard Hardy, master

Taddington Endowed, built in 1845, for 50 children; average attendance, 23; the school has an income of £15 yearly, left in 1798, arising from land, for educating 20 poor children; in 1887 the income of the school was increased by the interest of £1,000 Consols, left by will by Mr. George Brunt, formerly of Priestcliffe; Miss Sophia Rushden, mistress

Bateson Rev. John D.A. Vicarage
Hambleton Mrs
Wood Mrs. The Hall

Andrews Charles, farmer, Wheal
Bennett Matthew, farmer
Bennett Samuel, Star P.H. & farmer
Boam Henry, farmer, Five wells
Bown Wiliam Bosley, farmer
Braddock John Newton, farmer
Broome Reginald, farmer
Chapman Anthony, wheelwright & farmr
Critchley Septimus, farmer
Elton Thomas, George hotel
Gibbs Richard, farmer
Goodwin George, farmer & shoe maker
Gregory Susanna (Mrs.), farmer
Hambleton Isaac, shoe maker
Heathcote George, shopkeeper
Heathcote Henry, farmer
Hodgkinson Matthew, farmer, Wheal
Johnson Joseph, farmer
Lingard Joyce (Mrs.), grocer & farmer, Post office
Lomas Peter, farmer, Blackwell
Longdon John, farmer, Colton
Makinson Lawrence, farmer, Blacklow
Mason William, farmer
Mellor James, farmer
Mettam Joseph, stone mason
Millward Charles, farmer, Blackwell
Moore John Thomas, farmer, Blackwell
Moss Nathan, Miners' Arms P.H
Maycock Richard, farmer
Mycock James, meer maker
Needham Mary (Mrs.), Waterloo P.H. & farmer
Needham Peter, farmer
Needham William, beer retlr. & farmer
Percival Charles, farmer, Blackwell
RobInson Thomas, farmer, Five wells
Skidmore Henry, farmer
Wainwright John, farmer
Wood John, farmer & shopkeeper
Wright John, cattle dealer, Blackwell
Wright Stephen, farmer, Moor

Cook Joseph, Priestcliffe ditch
Bagshaw William, farmer
Bamford David, farmer, Ditch
Cooper Charles, farmer, Ditch
Curzon & Makinson Jane (Mrs.) & Ann (Miss), farmers
Dunn Richard, farmer
Mellor Jsph. Buxton & SI. Buxton, farmrs
Mellor Ralph Buxton, farmer
Mellor William Buxton, farmer
Needham Isaac, farmer
Rogers Thomas, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Taddington and Priestcliffe and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills