Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Tibshelf, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.315-316
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Are surnames
BRYAN, BRYON or CLAY mentioned in your Tibshelf pre 1858 wills or old documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
TIBSHELF is a parish, 4½ miles north-north-east from Alfreton, about l½ from Doe Hill station on the Erewash Valley branch of the Midland railway, half a mile from Tibshelf and Newton station on the Teversal branch of the same line, 7 south-south-east from Chesterfield and 142 by road and 139 by railway from London, in the Mid division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Mansfield union, Alfreton petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Doe Hill station, on the Midland railway, is in this parish. The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Co. are (1891) making a line through the centre of the parish, with a station, so as to perfect their communication between Sheffield and Nottingham, and afterwards with London. The National Telephone Company have carried their wires through the parish, thus connecting it with Mansfield, Alfreton, Nottingham and all neighbouring towns. The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing a clock and 5 bells, one being of early date and the rest dating from 1848-68 : the tower is a Perpendicular work of the 4th century: within the communion rails, on a flagstone, is a brass inscription to John Twentiman, vicar, ob. 1688, and there is a muraI monument to Ann Clark (1699), and another to Thomas Hand (1726) : the chancel was repaired in 1693 and the greater part of the church rebuilt in 1729 ; in 1887 the tower and nave were again rebuilt and the aisle enlarged under the direction of Messrs. Bodley and Garner, architects, of London, and there are now over 300 sittings : the churchyard has been enlarged by an acre of land given by St. Thomas' Hospital, London, and consecrated in 1878 by the Bishop of Lichfield. The registers date from the year 1627.
The Iiving is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £145, with residence and 40 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late Mrs. Packman, of Tupton Hall, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Frederic Charles Long. There is a Colliery Club, with reading, library, billiard and smoking rooms, and a good cricket ground attached. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels here. There are no charities proper to Tibshelf, but the parish participates in two, viz. : one left in 1818 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, rector of Staveley, for clothing, the amount for Tibshelf being £7 5s. ; and another left by Mrs. Lydia Brocksepp of Chesterfield, the share amounting to £2 12s. 6d. for distribution. There is an extensive colliery in the parish, worked by the Babbington Coal Company, which gives employment to many hands. The governors of St. Thomas' Hospital. London, who are lords of the manor, and the Marquess of Hartington are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy and clay ; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and pasture. The area is 2,371 acres; rateable value, £ 11,509 ; the population in 1871 was 1,400, and in 1881, 2,243.

Sexton, George Ringrose.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Francis Croft, postmaster. Letters arrive from Alfreton at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The telegraph office is at Tibshelf & Newton station

WALL LETTER BOXES :- st. Thomas' row, cleared at 4.55 p.m. : Lane End, cleared at 5.15 p.m. ; sunday, 10.15 a.m

SCHOOLS :-

Colliery, built in 1873 & supported by Charles Seeley esq. of Sherwood lodge, Arnold, Notts, for 150 boys, 150 girls & 150 infants; average attendance, 119 boys, 110 girls & 100 infants; Joseph Martin, master; Miss Hannah Bennett, girls' mistress; Miss Elizabeth Bennett, infants' mist

National (mixed), erected about 1820, for 100 boys & girls & 60 infants ; average attendance, 110 boys & girls & 40 infants, chiefly supported by the governors of St. Thomas' Hospital, London; William Woodhouse Martin, master ; Mrs. Esther Jane Martin, mistress

There are two Church and three Dissenting sunday schools, numbering altogether about 500 children
Tibshelf & Newton Station, on the Teversal branch of the Midland railway, is half a mile distant; Edwin Morris, station master

Doe Hill Station is I½ miles distant ; William George Saxton, station master. Morrell's omnibus meets most trains & conveys visitors to Hardwick Hall, 4 miles distant

CARRIER.-John Thorpe, to Mansfield on thurs. & Chesterfield on sat

Chambers Mrs. The Hurst
Dutton George William, Heathfield Idg
Long Rev. Frederic Charles, Vicarage
Morgan Charles Rennie, Hurst lodge
Sampson John Stephen, The Cedars
Stamford William Ackrill, Heathfield
Storer Richard Milward, Nethermoor ho
Wardell Stuart Crawford, Doe Hill ho

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Lydia (Mrs.), butcher
Alvey James, collector of taxes
Alvey Samuel, ironmonger & blacksmth
Ashmore Samuel, farmer
Babbington Coal Co. (Stuart Crawford Wardell, general manager & mining engineer), Tibshelf collieries
Bamford Edmund, farmer
Bennett John, saddler
Bettison William, shopkeeper
Bingham George, grocer
Brailsford John James, grocer
Bryan John, farmer
Clark Vincent, farmer
Clay Samson, butcher
Coates Joseph, grocer & beer retailer
Coupe Edward, boot & shoe maker
CROFT FRANCIS, farmer, dairyman &c. Post office
Dore John, Wheatsheaf P.H. & seedsman & florist
Draycott Henry, baker
Dutton Geo. Wm. surgeon, Heathfield Idg
Ferguson Sarah (Mrs.), beer retailer
Freeman George, farmer
Goodall Richard, farmer
Goulden Thomas, draper
Greaves Abraham, wholesale & retail druggist, grocery & provision stores, & dealer in british wines (Francis Croft, manager)
Hall Edward, farmer
Hallam James, butcher
Harker George Byron, Crown P.H
Haslam John, whitesmith
Hill Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, The Farm
Hubbard George, draper & grocer
Jackson Henry, miller (steam) & farmer
Kemp Charles, blacksmith
Martin Jsph. master of Colliery school
Merry John, draper
Morgan Charles Rennie, colliery manager of Diminsdale Colliery Go. Hurst lodge
Morrell Matthew, collector & surveyor of highways
Morrell Matthew, jun. omnibus proprietor & farmer
Partlow Joseph, White Hart P.H
Pemberton Luke, bailiff to Charles Seely jun. esq. J.P. Doe Hill farm
Raynes Thomas, farmer, Marl Pit's frm
Redfern Richard, shoe maker & farmer
Richards George, joiner
Robinson Samuel, farmer
Sampson George, butcher & farmer
Sampson John Stephen, farmer & landowner, The Cedars
Smith Charles, boot & shoe maker
Smith Chas. Gregory, farmer, Biggin frm
Smith Jacob, farmer, Marl Pits
Smith John, builder & farmer
Spencer Hannah (Mrs.), manageress of Colliery club
Stamford William Ackrill, surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, No.6 district, Mansfield union
Storer Richard Milward, farmer & landowner, Nethermoor house
Stringfellow James, farmer
Thorpe John, carrier & farmer
Tibshelf Colliery Club (Mrs. Hannah Spencer, stewardess)
Tomlinson Andrew, grocer& beer retlr
Truswell Walter, printer & draper
Ward John, farmer
Ward William, grocer & shoe maker
Wardell Stuart Crawford, general manager & mining engineer to Babbington Coal Co
Wass Charles, shopkeeper
Wetton Edmund, farmer
Wetton John, farmer, Banks farm
White Samuel, cowkeeper
Wood William, hoot & shoe dealer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Tibshelf and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills